Coronavirus

faraway saint

Report from the ONS on all cause mortality in 2020

Incredibly, in a year in which cancer screening was cancelled for 3.2 million people in the 6 months up to September 2020, and surgery for 94,912 patients was postponed or cancelled, deaths from lung and throat cancer were down 1,537 from the 5-year average of 28,108 deaths.

Just as incredibly, although the British Heart Foundation reported that, between March and September 2020, deaths at home from heart disease were up 25.9 per cent in England due to lockdown restrictions, deaths from heart disease in 2020 were 1,450 below the 5-year average of 53,429 deaths.

More incredibly, deaths from chronic lower respiratory diseases were down by 2,764 from the 5-year average of 29,681, a 9 per cent reduction.

And even more incredibly, deaths from cerebrovascular diseases, which cause strokes, aneurysms and haemorrhages, were down by 2,263 deaths from the 5-year average of 29,943, a fall of 13.2 per cent.

I use the word ‘incredible’ in its proper sense to describe these figures, which are not credible as accurate records of the effects of withdrawing and reducing healthcare to nearly 60 million people for 10 months.

6 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Yup and the latest example of this, the squabble over vaccine supply just proves this - nobody's gonna be safe from the "virus" until everyone gets their dose of Microsoft LoveBots and if BigPharma who were given plenty nuff money & assistance to develop said vaccines can't deliver the quantities they promised when they promised then their patents should be null&voided and production contracts should be given to those who will - after all the market is never wrong. :rolleyes: 

Personally I think even the hint of this would see the situation solved...

Yup, it's all getting nasty now with the EU invoking Article 16 over the Vaccine distribution problems, although moving off-topic one news item did cause me to chuckle - ex-PM David Cameron's wife complaining about how Brexit had affected her business.

Post-Brexit trading 'difficult' for my business - Samantha Cameron - BBC News

21 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Yup, it's all getting nasty now with the EU invoking Article 16 over the Vaccine distribution problems, although moving off-topic one news item did cause me to chuckle - ex-PM David Cameron's wife complaining about how Brexit had affected her business.

Nothing to see here, another minor issue that will have little/no effect.

Only something for the desperate to chew on. 

3 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Nothing to see here, another minor issue that will have little/no effect.

Only something for the desperate to chew on. 

Well I hope your right, the vaccination program is just about the one thing the government's got correct during the pandemic, I would hate to see it derailed even a little.

Just to make it clear while I think the UK government is on the right side of this issue, a touch of generosity may pay better dividends in the long run.

16 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Well I hope your right, the vaccination program is just about the one thing the government's got correct during the pandemic, I would hate to see it derailed even a little.

Just to make it clear while I think the UK government is on the right side of this issue, a touch of generosity may pay better dividends in the long run.

I'm always right, don't you  remember? :wink:

They've changed their mind now. [emoji1787]

4 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

...although moving off-topic one news item did cause me to chuckle - ex-PM David Cameron's wife complaining about how Brexit had affected her business.

A few years ago David Cameron complained to the Director of Tory-run Oxfordshire council complaining about the poor level of services only to receive a reply blasting him for cuts imposed by his party at a national level.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/nov/11/cameron-hypocrisy-cuts-letter-oxfordshire-council

3 hours ago, Slarti said:

They've changed their mind now. emoji1787.png

Not been a good day for von der Leyen.

Firstly, she appears to have made a mistake with the contract with AZ and now this U-turn.

She maybe needs to do a bit more consulting with other EU members states before opening her mouth.

Here's a look at Boris from a Herald columnist. Sums him up beautifully.

Fidelma Cook: I do not accept Boris Johnson's mealy mouthed apology but I will accept his resignation

3793818?type=thumb
Fidelma Cook: I do not accept Boris Johnson's mealy mouthed apology but I will accept his resignation

PREMIUM

CONTEMPT. Disgust. Controlled anger. That’s what I felt watching Boris Johnson’s performance at his briefing on the milestone 100,000-dead coronovirus figures.

For a performance it was, as crafted as he and his advisers are capable of. The drooping head, dropping to the chest for the key shot of unbelievable sorrow.

The hair more wildly disarranged than normal to show all personal care suspended; the Basset Hound hang-over eyes pleading for understanding and pity as he looked up and into the camera.

AD

‘I’m sorry,’ he said, as if that made everything alright. Can we move on now, public penance done?

As PM, he says he takes responsibility, which must be a first in his feckless selfish life.

So he plans to resign or signal a Government of national unity? Er, no…he’s said he’s sorry, what more do we want?

Where to begin. A competent PM and Cabinet for a start, not a cabal of hucksters greasing up the palms of their cronies.

Men and women, starting with Johnson, who are capable of compassion and empathy; for God knows I’m finding it hard to identify one from their utterances.

Has the country ever been so badly served? A smirking, self-loving overgrown schoolboy, who finds himself so loveable we must too.

Too lazy, too emotionally detached to give a damn for anybody else, leading at a time of the perfect storm of crisis after crisis.

He’s surrounded himself with fellow Brexiteers – some of whom actually believed in what they were saying – so his wisdom cannot be questioned.

He made a vice out of loyalty, protecting the likes of Dominic Cummings and Priti Patel, and barely bothered to defend his own frequent outrageous lies because so far the country and the alleged official Opposition have hardly protested at all he’s thrown at them.

But now people are dead or dying in numbers that can’t be shrugged away – his people who followed every decision he took or didn’t take; who believed his boastful promises which could never be fulfilled even as they watched the mocking grin never far from his lips.

AD

But then it’s always been just a game to this egoist.

Hell, he only had one job – to get Brexit through and then he could bask in the glory of still-boyship leadership until time for the big pension and the title.

And then the inconsiderate bastards picked up a virus and started dying. Well, he’s done his best – ignored his own scientists’ advice when it felt right; Dillied and dallied until he’d taken soundings from the country. Gave them Christmas, didn’t he?

Let them out when others said they should be locked down.

And now he’d apologised, although carefully pointing out that hindsight is a wonderful thing. I mean, he’s not a seer is he…only a PM with all the information at his fingertips; well if he could be bothered to study it.

But there’s a collective blame here too – a watered down version of all we saw with Donald Trump.

God knows enough people stepped forward at the start to question both his morals and his probity – most provided evidence.

The public, the majority it seemed, thought him a good laugh, a cheeky chappie who would get things done. Particularly Brexit. Made a fine fist of that, eh?

And the right-wing press, the rapacious owners and on-the-make columnists aided and abetted their ‘Boris’ , treating him as an amusing, if a little wild, wonderkind.

AD

One cannot blame certain sections of the public if they were seduced by this carefully crafted image promising sovereignty, fun and good times. To hell with gravitas and dignity, give me my Union Jack boxers.

But we can blame the rest of us – omitting, of course, most Scots who are well versed in English phonies and carpetbaggers.

Now don’t tell me it’s none of my business as I live in France. When my fellow human beings are dead and dying because of arrogant self-interest it is all our business.

When a weak, self-justifying apology is offered instead of the shameful truth and we see page after page of people now gone forever – it is worse than no answer.

So, no, Boris Johnson. I do not accept your mealy mouthed ‘oops, sorry.'

I accept nothing less than your resignation….and take the rest of the contemptible shower with you.

Our columns are a platform for writers to express their opinions. They do not necessarily represent the views of The Herald.

5 hours ago, smcc said:

Here's a look at Boris from a Herald columnist. Sums him up beautifully.

3793818?type=thumb

PREMIUM

CONTEMPT. Disgust. Controlled anger. That’s what I felt watching Boris Johnson’s performance at his briefing on the milestone 100,000-dead coronovirus figures.

For a performance it was, as crafted as he and his advisers are capable of. The drooping head, dropping to the chest for the key shot of unbelievable sorrow.

The hair more wildly disarranged than normal to show all personal care suspended; the Basset Hound hang-over eyes pleading for understanding and pity as he looked up and into the camera.

AD

‘I’m sorry,’ he said, as if that made everything alright. Can we move on now, public penance done?

As PM, he says he takes responsibility, which must be a first in his feckless selfish life.

So he plans to resign or signal a Government of national unity? Er, no…he’s said he’s sorry, what more do we want?

Where to begin. A competent PM and Cabinet for a start, not a cabal of hucksters greasing up the palms of their cronies.

Men and women, starting with Johnson, who are capable of compassion and empathy; for God knows I’m finding it hard to identify one from their utterances.

Has the country ever been so badly served? A smirking, self-loving overgrown schoolboy, who finds himself so loveable we must too.

Too lazy, too emotionally detached to give a damn for anybody else, leading at a time of the perfect storm of crisis after crisis.

He’s surrounded himself with fellow Brexiteers – some of whom actually believed in what they were saying – so his wisdom cannot be questioned.

He made a vice out of loyalty, protecting the likes of Dominic Cummings and Priti Patel, and barely bothered to defend his own frequent outrageous lies because so far the country and the alleged official Opposition have hardly protested at all he’s thrown at them.

But now people are dead or dying in numbers that can’t be shrugged away – his people who followed every decision he took or didn’t take; who believed his boastful promises which could never be fulfilled even as they watched the mocking grin never far from his lips.

AD

But then it’s always been just a game to this egoist.

Hell, he only had one job – to get Brexit through and then he could bask in the glory of still-boyship leadership until time for the big pension and the title.

And then the inconsiderate bastards picked up a virus and started dying. Well, he’s done his best – ignored his own scientists’ advice when it felt right; Dillied and dallied until he’d taken soundings from the country. Gave them Christmas, didn’t he?

Let them out when others said they should be locked down.

And now he’d apologised, although carefully pointing out that hindsight is a wonderful thing. I mean, he’s not a seer is he…only a PM with all the information at his fingertips; well if he could be bothered to study it.

But there’s a collective blame here too – a watered down version of all we saw with Donald Trump.

God knows enough people stepped forward at the start to question both his morals and his probity – most provided evidence.

The public, the majority it seemed, thought him a good laugh, a cheeky chappie who would get things done. Particularly Brexit. Made a fine fist of that, eh?

And the right-wing press, the rapacious owners and on-the-make columnists aided and abetted their ‘Boris’ , treating him as an amusing, if a little wild, wonderkind.

AD

One cannot blame certain sections of the public if they were seduced by this carefully crafted image promising sovereignty, fun and good times. To hell with gravitas and dignity, give me my Union Jack boxers.

But we can blame the rest of us – omitting, of course, most Scots who are well versed in English phonies and carpetbaggers.

Now don’t tell me it’s none of my business as I live in France. When my fellow human beings are dead and dying because of arrogant self-interest it is all our business.

When a weak, self-justifying apology is offered instead of the shameful truth and we see page after page of people now gone forever – it is worse than no answer.

So, no, Boris Johnson. I do not accept your mealy mouthed ‘oops, sorry.'

I accept nothing less than your resignation….and take the rest of the contemptible shower with you.

Our columns are a platform for writers to express their opinions. They do not necessarily represent the views of The Herald.

Save us from over-emotional wittering like this.

Boris isn't the answer to our problems but this wittering fool offers no solutions either. It's just one massive emotional rant.

https://www.ladbible.com/news/uk-captain-tom-moore-hospitalised-with-covid-19-and-pneumonia-20210131?source=facebook

[https://www]Share[https://www]Tweet

[https://www]

Captain Tom Moore has been admitted to hospital, where he is being treated for Covid-19 and pneumonia.

The 100-year-old's daughter said on Twitter that he was struggling to breathe.

[emoji26]

7 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

https://www.ladbible.com/news/uk-captain-tom-moore-hospitalised-with-covid-19-and-pneumonia-20210131?source=facebook

[https://www]Share[https://www]Tweet

[https://www]

Captain Tom Moore has been admitted to hospital, where he is being treated for Covid-19 and pneumonia.

The 100-year-old's daughter said on Twitter that he was struggling to breathe.

emoji26.png

Surely , at his age , he would have been one of the first to receive the double vaccination ?

Edited by billyg

21 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Save us from over-emotional wittering like this.

Boris isn't the answer to our problems but this wittering fool offers no solutions either. It's just one massive emotional rant.

Typical of you you selfish ass. I'm not sure if you even read the article.

She wasn't trying to give a solution. She was expressing an opinion. And a very true definition of the clown who has done so much damage to the UK.

11 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Typical of you you selfish ass. I'm not sure if you even read the article.

She wasn't trying to give a solution. She was expressing an opinion. And a very true definition of the clown who has done so much damage to the UK.

An "opinion" doesn't make it factual, or does your "opinion".

Just saying. 

Edited by faraway saint

4 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

An "opinion" doesn't make it factual, or does your "opinion".

Just saying. 

Where did I say it was fact? If you're going to continue to inject yourself into conversations then at least try to read my posts. Maybe even the words with less than 3 syllables would give you a clue.

Just now, stlucifer said:

Where did I say it was fact? If you're going to continue to inject yourself into conversations then at least try to read my posts. Maybe even the words with less than 3 syllables would give you a clue.

Oh sorry, I thought it was a public forum.

Please let me, and anyone else, know when we can "interject". 

Just to remind you, you said.....................

23 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

She was expressing an opinion. And a very true definition

As I said, it doesn't make it "true". :lol:

I knew you'd start to nit pick around a word, that's your usual defence mechanism when it's pointed out you're a saddo. :byebye

You tartan fannies, with your continual bitterness, make it easy to make the decision to say "NO", which certainly put many people off the last time.

Keep it up, with your intellectual superiority attitude.