Coronavirus

faraway saint

7 hours ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

I am not implying it, it’s the governments own figures . Covid  isn’t the biggest killer (anymore) as pneumonia and influenza are killing 7 times more people. I was highlighting the good news that is within this recent update that the media don’t seem to be focusing on I.e between March- May the mortality rate in England and Wales was at its lowest point in the last five years. Like I said, good news doesn’t sell newspapers. 

For me, all that the figures demonstrate is that the NHS is currently dealing with the pandemic much better, having found - during the carnage of fatalities - more and differing ways of treating patients successfully.

The NHS, despite that success, is still skating on very thin ice as the virus mutates and could do so into yet another virus-resistant state for which we have no answers.  Yet.

Also...

”between March- May the mortality rate in England and Wales was at its lowest point in the last five years.”.

.....this positive slant of yours is easily explained away by recognising that in the last 18 months Covid had already slaughtered tens of thousands of those elderly, obese and less fit members of society who would have reached top of the line during those months.

The only good news I see in this, is the skill and dedication of scientists and doctors finding more and better ways to cope.

The fat lady - that you think should be singing - probably succumbed to Covid in the Autumn.  

It ain’t over. There’s still a fat bastard in power misdirecting our progress through the pandemic.

Edited by antrin

Covid Vaccination Passports now available free from NHS Scotland if required. [emoji106]

Screenshot_20210519-152222_Chrome.thumb.jpeg.148ae5dd902b8c0e30dd3119a4864e24.jpeg53314566_Screenshot_20210519-152238_Chrome2.thumb.jpeg.bf032652fe70172c387df13d1f85408a.jpeg
You seem to be well informed about these things @Cookie Monster, any idea how they work the queue, is it your practice that decides the order?

My missus is 7 months younger than me and doesn't have any underlying listed health conditions (I'm diabetic) but she had her first before me and gets her second on Sunday while I'm still waiting to hear. The only thing I can think of is that my diabetes has been ignored by whoever decides (it's well controlled) and it's being done in alphabetical order (we're not married, her surname's D, mine M).

I'm not bothered, just curious.

ETA just logged in and my second jag is a week on Sunday

3 hours ago, antrin said:

For me, all that the figures demonstrate is that the NHS is currently dealing with the pandemic much better, having found - during the carnage of fatalities - more and differing ways of treating patients successfully.

The NHS, despite that success, is still skating on very thin ice as the virus mutates and could do so into yet another virus-resistant state for which we have no answers.  Yet.

Also...

”between March- May the mortality rate in England and Wales was at its lowest point in the last five years.”.

.....this positive slant of yours is easily explained away by recognising that in the last 18 months Covid had already slaughtered tens of thousands of those elderly, obese and less fit members of society who would have reached top of the line during those months.

The only good news I see in this, is the skill and dedication of scientists and doctors finding more and better ways to cope.

The fat lady - that you think should be singing - probably succumbed to Covid in the Autumn.  

It ain’t over. There’s still a fat bastard in power misdirecting our progress through the pandemic.

Aye. It's called a vaccine.

This post illustrates the very problem many people face now after a year of fear mongering. Letting go of that fear is going to be a nightmare for many.

There will always be another variant despite all evidence showing that our vaccines deal with it. And when there isn't, there will always be the fear of another variant appearing from the mists.

Then when others stop being afraid of this thing, the "don't you care about the hundred and forty thousand who got killed?" will be hauled out of their pocket. They will never drop the fear and will never allow others to move on either.

BTW, the NHS is skating on very thin ice is it?

There's less than 100 people in hospital across the entire country and about 4 people in ICU.

How on earth is that very thin ice?

Edited by oaksoft

You seem to be well informed about these things @Cookie Monster, any idea how they work the queue, is it your practice that decides the order?

My missus is 7 months younger than me and doesn't have any underlying listed health conditions (I'm diabetic) but she had her first before me and gets her second on Sunday while I'm still waiting to hear. The only thing I can think of is that my diabetes has been ignored by whoever decides (it's well controlled) and it's being done in alphabetical order (we're not married, her surname's D, mine M).

I'm not bothered, just curious.

ETA just logged in and my second jag is a week on Sunday

Big hat, names all in. [emoji16]

Facebook has it flaws, but if you've not got any wallopers as friends it can be useful for information. Have noticed a pattern regarding vaccinations where it does show it is postcode and doctors surgery based and you can work out when you're due.

Also getting the info early like through the website I posted you can if require get an more suitable time/date for your vaccination. [emoji106]

4 hours ago, antrin said:

The fat lady - that you think should be singing - 

It ain’t over. There’s still a fat bitch in power misdirecting our progress through the pandemic.

Has Nichola put on weight.  :whistle

1 hour ago, pod said:

Has Nichola put on weight.  :whistle

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

This post illustrates the very problem many people face now after a year of fear mongering. Letting go of that fear is going to be a nightmare for many.

There will always be another variant despite all evidence showing that our vaccines deal with it. And when there isn't, there will always be the fear of another variant appearing from the mists.

Then when others stop being afraid of this thing, the "don't you care about the hundred and forty thousand who got killed?" will be hauled out of their pocket. They will never drop the fear and will never allow others to move on either.

There's less than 100 people in hospital across the entire country and about 4 people in ICU.

Vaccines are preventatives, not treatments.  Nobody ever recovered from an illness by simply taking a vaccine once infected.

Ask a scientist, if you know one.  They should be able to explain.

The last few sentences are just plain daft, surely you remember the effect of  the explosion of cases last year?  There are still millions of people at risk who have had no or only one vaccination.

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I dunno how you can misinterpret my application of  logic for fear.  :unsure:

I had my first indoor pint (V.expensive - Bitter £5.06) on Monday evening in The City, went to a movie IN a cinema with a lot of others, then had a meal in a busy restaurant.    And I travelled on public transport.   So I've been promoting no fear personally and wouldn't be judgmental wrt  fear others might personally/justifiably feel.

Being on the self-approved moral high ground must be lonely.

Not thin ice?  So you've missed the fact that the NHS has been hugely underfunded for years, is understaffed, has built up a huge backlog of sick, untreated patients whose treatment was shelved during the pandemic and has an unhappy, unappreciated, low morale in those who have remained?  If there is another 'successful' virus, it will wreak havoc and will struggle to be equally resilient this time around.

I guess I'm unsurprised that you feel now is a good time to just quietly forget about the tens of thousands who have been killed and mock those who still feel they might be worth remembering.  :(

ps The fillum:

Sound of Metal

A very interesting character study with a fascinating soundscape.   And a brilliant performance by Riz Ahmed!

2 hours ago, bazil85 said:

Glasgow - Staying Level 3 for another week 

Moray - Going to level 2

East Renfrewshire - Staying Level 2 (yeees!)

Very surprised at East Renfrewshire staying at 2 but pleased to hear it.

The population is 95,000 and there are 118 per 100k cases. Sturgeon in the BBC article today said there were only 17 or 18 cases though so I'm a bit confused about what's going on. Can you shed any light from where you are? Typo in the article? 

1 hour ago, windae cleaner said:

Surely this virus has ran it's course. We have 4 planes arriving every day from India apparently the worse affected country on the planet. Certainly fuels the conspiracy theories out there. 2 of my workmates aren't going for their vaccines 

Like Covid, the influenza is also a virus.   The flu has an annual course which it runs and we've learned to live with it - not defeat it.  Yet.

We can/do get annual jags for Flu - especially those folk who are more vulnerable to it killing them.  There are occasional years when the doctors/scientists didn't quite anticipate/back the right vaccination for a new variation of flu which then slays more folk than usual flus.

Annual jags.  That is likely how it'll be with variations of covid.  I already know of someone with a date in September for a 3rd jag/ booster.  (An NHS worker.)

Edited by antrin

1 hour ago, beyond our ken said:

Vaccines are preventatives, not treatments.  Nobody ever recovered from an illness by simply taking a vaccine once infected.

Oh thank the LORD you are here to mansplain this to me.

Phew. For a minute I was kerfuffled.

You'll need to show me, however, where I said the vaccines would cure someone who currently has covid. You appear to have entirely fabricated that.

BTW. Talking of last year? Can you think of one big difference this year? Anything at all? Begins with a v.

Rather than being a dick, why don't you enlighten us all on how YOU think the endgame for all of this should work out.

If vaccines aren't the answer then what's the f**king point? Where are we going?

Zero deaths? We already have that.

Zero hospitalisations? Pretty close to that.

Zero cases? Well, we're pretty close to that too.

At what point do people like you stop pissing your frillies?

Edited by oaksoft

Just now, oaksoft said:

Oh thank the LORD you are here to mansplain this to me.

Phew. For a minute I was kerfuffled.

Rather than being a dick, why don't you enlighten us all on how YOU think the endgame for all of this should work out.

If vaccines aren't the answer then what's the f**king point? Where are we going?

Zero deaths? We already have that.

Zero hospitalisations? Pretty close to that.

Zero cases? Well, we're pretty close to that too.

At what point do people like you stop pissing your frillies?

Step away from that hole and stop digging, there's a good lad.  :)

The population is 95,000 and there are 118 per 100k cases. Sturgeon in the BBC article today said there were only 17 or 18 cases though so I'm a bit confused about what's going on. Can you shed any light from where you are? Typo in the article? 
The number Nicola quoted was the number of new cases on that day, not the amount that have the virus.

1 hour ago, antrin said:

I dunno how you can misinterpret my application of  logic for fear.  :unsure:

I had my first indoor pint (V.expensive - Bitter £5.06) on Monday evening in The City, went to a movie IN a cinema with a lot of others, then had a meal in a busy restaurant.    And I travelled on public transport.   So I've been promoting no fear personally and wouldn't be judgmental wrt  fear others might personally/justifiably feel.

Being on the self-approved moral high ground must be lonely.

Not thin ice?  So you've missed the fact that the NHS has been hugely underfunded for years, is understaffed, has built up a huge backlog of sick, untreated patients whose treatment was shelved during the pandemic and has an unhappy, unappreciated, low morale in those who have remained?  If there is another 'successful' virus, it will wreak havoc and will struggle to be equally resilient this time around.

I guess I'm unsurprised that you feel now is a good time to just quietly forget about the tens of thousands who have been killed and mock those who still feel they might be worth remembering.  :(

ps The fillum:

Sound of Metal

A very interesting character study with a fascinating soundscape.   And a brilliant performance by Riz Ahmed!

The NHS is NOT on very thin ice as regards covid.

End of story.

Nice touch accusing me of taking the moral high ground and then bringing up how I may or may not feel about the deaths last year. Nobody is talking about forgetting those deaths. Nobody is talking about mocking those who want to remember them either. Only you are bringing that up.

Classy as usual antrin. :thumbsdown

10 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I don't really know anymore than what she has said, I'm in Newton Mearns though and I think we are one of the areas with these family transmission spots that have been mentioned. 

My understanding of the situation is it differs from Glasgow in tracking the cases and the smaller population (and number of cases they can track to family events) makes the per 100k cases seem worse than it is. Seems Glasgow has more isolated cases all over the place to East Ren having more clusters of family members. 

I personally think it's the right call but would have seen the logic in shifting us back to level 3. My concern with that is it would set a precedent and we'd likely all be in level 3 before long as things relax. 

Edited by bazil85

3 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:
9 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

The number Nicola quoted was the number of new cases on that day, not the amount that have the virus.

Thanks. Wasn't entirely sure.

TBH, there's so much abuse of statistics going on it's hard to know what to trust anymore.

Just now, bazil85 said:

I personally think it's the right call but would have seen the logic in shifting us back to level 3. My concern with that is it would set a precedent and we'd likely all be in level 3 before long as things relax. 

I think you're right about that last sentence.

I think as long as they feel they have the cases under control in an area that she'll resist further restrictions otherwise, like you say, we'll be playing musical "covid levels" until the sun burns itself out.

8 minutes ago, antrin said:

Step away from that hole and stop digging, there's a good lad.  :)

The only person digging a hole is the person who is talking shite about the NHS being on very thin ice right now with the covid situation and also constructing baffling strawman arguments about who cares or doesn't care about 140,000 deaths last year.

And that ain't me bud.

Edited by oaksoft

41 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Wow. More mansplaining.

What a thread this is turning out to be. Where would we be without you and BOK?

You are an hyper-sensitive wee loonball, these days.  It's not all about you.

What else is a forum for but to disseminate information?

That's why an overused phrase typed on here is "Here to help" as is "hope this helps"?

Not everyone is as au fait, hip, in with the in-crowd and geniusy as the scientist turned writer... and forum filibuster.

48 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

The NHS is NOT on very thin ice as regards covid.

It f**kin IS.  So there!

Covid is just another anticipated but ignored burden dumped on the NHS with no added resources to cope - until too late.  While politicians continue to take the shortest cuts possible and ignore potential health pitfalls. 

Nice touch accusing me of taking the moral high ground and then bringing up how I may or may not feel about the deaths last year. Nobody is talking about forgetting those deaths. Nobody is talking about mocking those who want to remember them either. Only you are bringing that up.

You were the one complaining about how long would people keep referencing 140,00 deaths - so, I was simply remarking upon you bleating about it. 

I don't need to take a moral high ground if I already, happily, occupy it.