Coronavirus

faraway saint

Just now, Slarti said:

As the old saying goes "accuracy is often mistaken for pedantry by the less intelligent".

To be fair, it wasn't bok that first mentioned the term but I didn't want to get into a discussion with Beetlejuice.

Aye, he's getting increasingly desperate for attention, trying to rival our new member called Shull. :rolleyes:

Aye, he's getting increasingly desperate for attention, trying to rival our new member called Shull. :rolleyes:
He can't seem to handle that it's really only BiEK that will engage with him for more than 3 posts.

How come shull's back and our old pal Slartibartfast isn't? It's a disgrace, so it is. :whistle

1 hour ago, Slarti said:

As the old saying goes "accuracy is often mistaken for pedantry by the less intelligent".

To be fair, it wasn't bok that first mentioned the term but I didn't want to get into a discussion with Beetlejuice.

Yet you just can’t help yourself. Almost like you actually have no intention of ‘ignoring’ me. 

2 hours ago, Slarti said:

Better developed people??? What the f**k does that mean?

More knowledgeable - yes (but mainly because a relatively small amount of people have investigated, discovered and invented then disseminated that information to others in various ways), but better developed - no. I don't even know how you would begin to measure something like that.

i was using his own language tp counter his argument

1 hour ago, beyond our ken said:

i was using his own language tp counter his argument

What’s wrong with using the word developed anyway? It’s commonly used to describe current countries & regions of the world. Developed/ developing nations. 

If it genuinely isn’t clear to anyone what is being referenced between people and cultures in modern times vs biblical times, fine but it is far more likely pure pedantic. The same tactics that have stifled dozens of threads on here over the years with a couple of big perpetrators involved yet again. 

Let’s not forget one of the reasons Slarti snipes at me from the comfort of his ignore (lol) function is pages & pages of tears over the use of the word ‘few’ 

18 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

And you consider yourself to be an example of a better developed group?  Well, whitever

ANYHOO, would you not agree that better developed people can look into a particular faith, as it is taught and followed today, take on board the good parts of the message and make their own mind up about the old-testament stuff (incidentally, written before anyone had heard of christ, never mind christians (they were a rubbish band anyway))

People can believe what they want.

Just keep that shite away from our legal system, don't brainwash kids who are too young to be able to make their own minds up about these things and keep it out of our daily lives. Also, don't try to "convert us".

Beyond that, go and believe in conspiracies, aliens, sky fairies, whatever you want.

58 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

People can believe what they want.

Just keep that shite away from our legal system, don't brainwash kids who are too young to be able to make their own minds up about these things and keep it out of our daily lives. Also, don't try to "convert us".

Beyond that, go and believe in conspiracies, aliens, sky fairies, whatever you want.

significant parts of the legal system are based on the 10 commandments and some judgements, including one very famous one originating from events in Paisley reference them.

so you are several hundred years too late with that one

27 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

significant parts of the legal system are based on the 10 commandments and some judgements, including one very famous one originating from events in Paisley reference them.

The 10 commandments weren't original, they themselves were based from a number of previous cultures and religious beliefs. Our modern day legal system has little to do with them from a basis perspective. 

On 6/9/2021 at 7:11 PM, BuddieinEK said:

It is, is it?
Stated as fact!
Less developed than what?
Low EQ narcissists who insist on the last word on a football forum every time?

Nobody has said good deeds are unique to people with a belief, but if that belief motivates good deeds, I don't have a problem.

Or is it only live and let live as long as it is something we approve of?

There is no doubt that bad things happen in the name of religion... but bad things happen in the name of freedom all over the world.

In the name of non religious beliefs.

In the name of animal rights!

Why single out "Christian beliefs"?

something people seem to miss is that everything that we do is based on a belief, of some sort.

Even humanist values are based on a belief that there is nothing else but this life.  I find that an acceptable belief system where people use it as a basis for living a "good" life.

But it is only a good life in their own eyes, or those of their fellow believers (at least some of them) and that is based on their own beliefs.  I have personally witnessed humanist celebrants invoke notions of the afterlife at funerals.  It doesn't offend me, even though the humanist society are intolerant of people who actually believe in an afterlife and/or some form of higher power.  

the one thing that offends me is the howling pack that exists amongst non-believers turning on, belittling or deliberately offending anyone who espouses some sort of spiritual belief.  If someone believes something let them be and judge them, if you feel you can judge anyone, on their actions & inactions.  if they want to have theism-based debate with you then weigh in, but don't pick up on a casual remark on a football forum as justification to try and ridicule someone who is probably a very decent member of society that you happen to disagree with.  To characterise a group as bad, because some of that number have done horrible things, or to ridicule them as deluded is to pre-judge someone based on their beliefs and not as you find them, that is as big a demonstration of hatred and prejudice as racism, sectarianism or any other ism. 

24 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

something people seem to miss is that everything that we do is based on a belief, of some sort.

Even humanist values are based on a belief that there is nothing else but this life.  I find that an acceptable belief system where people use it as a basis for living a "good" life.

But it is only a good life in their own eyes, or those of their fellow believers (at least some of them) and that is based on their own beliefs.  I have personally witnessed humanist celebrants invoke notions of the afterlife at funerals.  It doesn't offend me, even though the humanist society are intolerant of people who actually believe in an afterlife and/or some form of higher power.  

the one thing that offends me is the howling pack that exists amongst non-believers turning on, belittling or deliberately offending anyone who espouses some sort of spiritual belief.  If someone believes something let them be and judge them, if you feel you can judge anyone, on their actions & inactions.  if they want to have theism-based debate with you then weigh in, but don't pick up on a casual remark on a football forum as justification to try and ridicule someone who is probably a very decent member of society that you happen to disagree with.  To characterise a group as bad, because some of that number have done horrible things, or to ridicule them as deluded is to pre-judge someone based on their beliefs and not as you find them, that is as big a demonstration of hatred and prejudice as racism, sectarianism or any other ism. 

The view is a bit of a word puzzle for me. IMO it basically says even being an atheist is a faith & points to the reality that pretty much everyone is agnostic. That’s fine but it doesn’t really need any attention I would say. I’m agnostic about the existence of a real god in the same way as I’m agnostic about the existence of a real fairy or the real Santa Claus. As in I am all but certain none of these things exist. Could I be wrong? Sure but I don’t see anymore chance of being wrong about a god than I do being wrong about Santa. 

As for the ‘belittling’ I’m not saying it shows me or anyone else in a good light but if you’re going to be an adult that believes in magic in 2021, you’re bringing it on yourself to a certain extent I would say. Would you ridicule someone that had a literal belief in the existence of the tooth fairy? Maybe not but I would understand the reasons why, if you or anyone else did. 

For me people of faith try to put god on a pedestal because of their completely baseless faith in the spiritual. Sorry but I’m not willing to do the same just because a person has a god belief. God’s are on par with ghosts, goblins & wizards for me & until evidence is presented to the contrary, that’s where god’s stay. 

1 hour ago, beyond our ken said:

Yes, I'm aware of that.

That's why I will continue to attack religion until this corrupt shite is removed from our society.

Edited by oaksoft

Our legal system isn't based on the only ones the bible actually calls the ten commandments. You know, the ones that include things like not boiling a kid in it's mother's milk. (Kid, as in baby goat, not human child, that is. [emoji16] )

1 hour ago, salmonbuddie said:

So...having waded through the shite, is it fair to come to the conclusion that the virus is the sky fairy's fault? Thank f**k, takes the pressure off China.

emoji846.png

Yip.

It would seem that we've been injuriously smitten by god. :shockaroony