Coronavirus

faraway saint

On 6/27/2021 at 6:56 AM, faraway saint said:

The numbers, while they are still low, are steadily rising in all the key areas.

Cases...................

image.thumb.png.2583b71a8c4d711d8885c7ba35ab2762.png

Hospital/ICU..................

image.thumb.png.1adeaae32dcade846da97c5db6b90734.png

Deaths.................

image.thumb.png.de748f6fed108e6bf811a18d11234cd2.png

Age groups being admitted to hospital................

image.png.32f39e822e51abfb59955fd13df4153c.png

I still really worry about the coming autumn/winter and what will happen. Cases are still high in many parts of the world and more and more variants will likely crack on.

Can we really have a full winter more or less restriction free if these trends continue? I get we have to put some trust in the vaccine program including any yearly boosters but it is hard to picture a fully happy path out of a Covid restricted country. 

1 hour ago, bazil85 said:

I still really worry about the coming autumn/winter and what will happen. Cases are still high in many parts of the world and more and more variants will likely crack on.

Can we really have a full winter more or less restriction free if these trends continue? I get we have to put some trust in the vaccine program including any yearly boosters but it is hard to picture a fully happy path out of a Covid restricted country. 

Why are you worried?

The vaccine is already having a massive effect in reducing the serious numbers, which can only continue to improve.

Every virus has variants, vaccines are adjusted to deal with these.

That's variants, while they have some success in spreading are the darling of the media.

I've no real worries, Covid will be another flu like virus, unfortunately it will take some lives but nothing more serious than the flu for the vast majority of us. 

9 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Why are you worried?

The vaccine is already having a massive effect in reducing the serious numbers, which can only continue to improve.

Every virus has variants, vaccines are adjusted to deal with these.

That's variants, while they have some success in spreading are the darling of the media.

I've no real worries, Covid will be another flu like virus, unfortunately it will take some lives but nothing more serious than the flu for the vast majority of us. 

None of that is guaranteed, there is still a good chance we won't be out the woods on this one regarding new variants versus vaccinations. Thinking we will definitely have it on par with "another flu" this year is jumping the gun IMO.

Hopefully it is how it paves out but surely you accept given the last 18 months, caution is still warranted? 

2 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

None of that is guaranteed, there is still a good chance we won't be out the woods on this one regarding new variants versus vaccinations. Thinking we will definitely have it on par with "another flu" this year is jumping the gun IMO.

Hopefully it is how it paves out but surely you accept given the last 18 months, caution is still warranted? 

TBH you'd still have us in full lockdown.

I'll stick to the optimistic outlook that many have and leave you to worry.

What, exactly, would this caution materialise into? 

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

TBH you'd still have us in full lockdown.

I'll stick to the optimistic outlook that many have and leave you to worry.

What, exactly, would this caution materialise into? 

Sigh, and this is why no one can enter an adult conversation with you, constant snipping. 
My opinion is, given the last 18 months or so, we should be cautious & reserved as things progress, yours is crack on without a worry for tomorrow. That’s all they are, opinions, accept yours won’t always mirror others. 

2 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Sigh, and this is why no one can enter an adult conversation with you, constant snipping. 
My opinion is, given the last 18 months or so, we should be cautious & reserved as things progress, yours is crack on without a worry for tomorrow. That’s all they are, opinions, accept yours won’t always mirror others. 

Sniping? 😆

No one, another of your exaggerations. 

You are a wee snowflake. 

It's well documented you would have lockdown continue to possibly save one life, a massive overreaction.

My view is based on the vaccine continuing to be successful, yours is based on a fear that outweighs the reality of the situation. 

Aye, we're different, for that I am truly grateful. 

4 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Sniping? 😆

No one, another of your exaggerations. 

You are a wee snowflake. 

It's well documented you would have lockdown continue to possibly save one life, a massive overreaction.

My view is based on the vaccine continuing to be successful, yours is based on a fear that outweighs the reality of the situation. 

Aye, we're different, for that I am truly grateful. 

Yet again I make a reasonable comment and you have a near total breakdown. 

I wouldn't have a full lockdown in place right now, I have never once said that. Lockdowns were the right call, we came out too early on more than one occasion, that being my view on the situation doesn't mean I would have them in place right now. But I wouldn't be ruling them out in the future thinking everything will automatically be absolutely fine with no worries at all.... To the extent no one should even worry about the future? 😳

The vaccine does continue to be a success but you have concluded it will absolutely be the end of the matter, no one knows that for sure. Let's also not forget you have underestimated this pandemic on several occasions. 

15 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Yet again I make a reasonable comment and you have a near total breakdown. 

I wouldn't have a full lockdown in place right now, I have never once said that. Lockdowns were the right call, we came out too early on more than one occasion, that being my view on the situation doesn't mean I would have them in place right now. But I wouldn't be ruling them out in the future thinking everything will automatically be absolutely fine with no worries at all.... To the extent no one should even worry about the future? 😳

The vaccine does continue to be a success but you have concluded it will absolutely be the end of the matter, no one knows that for sure. Let's also not forget you have underestimated this pandemic on several occasions. 

Breakdown? :lol:

You're inability to handle anything that isn't your ideal results in this situation with EVERYONE.

TBH I couldn't give a flying duck what you think as you are so far from .......................in fact, feck it, :byebye

6 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Breakdown? :lol:

You're inability to handle anything that isn't your ideal results in this situation with EVERYONE.

TBH I couldn't give a flying duck what you think as you are so far from .......................in fact, feck it, :byebye

Yep

Incorrect, I accept we have different opinions, you're the one in tears because someone has a different view to you. 

Aye, so you don't. :whistle

21 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Misleading language. 

Marr was most certainly not - despite his assertions - 'seriously ill' if he was no more serious than pottering about the house feeling shite and he has the fact he was vaccinated twice to thank for this. 

The vaccines are working wonderfully, keeping serious cases and deaths comparatively low whilst cases rise massively. People should feel safer against this disease than they have at any point prior through this pandemic as the vaccines are absolutely proving their worth.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Misleading language. 

Marr was most certainly not - despite his assertions - 'seriously ill' if he was no more serious than pottering about the house feeling shite and he has the fact he was vaccinated twice to thank for this. 

The vaccines are working wonderfully, keeping serious cases and deaths comparatively low whilst cases rise massively. People should feel safer against this disease than they have at any point prior through this pandemic as the vaccines are absolutely proving their worth.

I think the moral of the story is you can STILL catch it but, as you indicate, this will be a very small percentage and if this was as bad as it gets the country is in a better place.

Million, many millions, more will not catch it, let alone be ill, or more worryingly, have to be admitted to hospital or die.

No need to join the media in scaremongering. 

I think the moral of the story is you can STILL catch it but, as you indicate, this will be a very small percentage and if this was as bad as it gets the country is in a better place.

Million, many millions, more will not catch it, let alone be ill, or more worryingly, have to be admitted to hospital or die.

The vaccines are not 100% effective but this was never the intention. They are far more effective than most people dared to dream though. 

What they do is that they reduce the risk of serious illness and death in the most vulnerable sections of society to nigh on zero. In all reality, there is no issue whatsoever if covid rips through the country and it does not seriously affect anyone. And yes, I include any future variants that may or may not occur in that. 

Edited by djchapsticks

Don't think Marr is scaremongering in any way.

I think it's a piece berating himself for thinking that he was "invincible", and maybe to warn people not to drop their guard completely, if they want to try and avoid an unpleasant illness and ten days of self isolation.

2 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Don't think Marr is scaremongering in any way.

I think it's a piece berating himself for thinking that he was "invincible", and maybe to warn people not to drop their guard completely, if they want to try and avoid an unpleasant illness and ten days of self isolation.

Apologies, I was meaning the media will milk this for all it's worth, his piece was well balanced and seemed nothing more than a true reflection.

Dimwits like B a Z will grasp this and cry lockdown at the drop of a hat, god forbid we ever go back to that. 

23 minutes ago, shull said:

How were we doing in July 2020 regarding cases and deaths with no vaccine ?

Cases, averaging 27th June 2020, 1,022, yesterday, 15,980

Deaths, 27th June 2020, averaging 73, over four times more than yesterday, 17 UK. 

To summarise, cases are miles more with deaths a quarter compared to last year, when cases were lower.

Kinda fcuks up your theory it doesn't exist or it's just seasonal.

Trot off back to twitter, more suited for you. :byebye

Edited by faraway saint

Now that we know that masks work, this is a great opportunity to solve the problem of clean drinking water in the third world.
Just take any dirty water, pour it through a mask and hey presto, clear spring water ready to drink.

Given the lengths you have gone to to make your point previously, the above is disappointingly childish.

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Apologies, I was meaning the media will milk this for all it's worth, his piece was well balanced and seemed nothing more than a true reflection.

Dimwits like B a Z will grasp this and cry lockdown at the drop of a hat, god forbid we ever go back to that. 

That also won’t work. Imagine being so upset just at a different opinion. Called the crying into your ignore function 😢😢😢

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Cases, averaging 27th June 2020, 1,022, yesterday, 15,980

Deaths, 27th June 2020, averaging 73, over four times more than yesterday, 17 UK. 

To summarise, cases are miles more with deaths a quarter compared to last year, when cases were lower.

Kinda fcuks up your theory it doesn't exist or it's just seasonal.

Trot off back to twitter, more suited for you. :byebye

Far more testing now than this time last year, so that parameter isn’t comparable. 

50 minutes ago, Sue Denim said:

New paper out which demonstrates that lockdowns *increased* excess mortality.

https://www.nber.org/system/files/working_papers/w28930/w28930.pdf

This will please @Bud the Baker as I know that large numbers of excess deaths is his favourite statistic

His virtue, their deaths

How deep you must have dug to find that dogs dinner of a report. Meanwhile the overwhelming consensus is no lockdown would have cost lives, overwhelmed the NHS & been catastrophic for the nations health in general.