Coronavirus

faraway saint

2 hours ago, bazil85 said:

The need to keep wearing face masks will continue in some settings in Scotland for the foreseeable. 

It's all pretty vague stuff baz.

"Need" is not the same as "legally required".

I can't for the life of me understand why they just can't issue a very clear statement about them.

"Mask wearing will remain a legally enforced requirement on public transport and in all retail outlets until further notice."

It's not asking too much at this stage.

Oh and as for the article, it's not a "face covering" because it doesn't cover the face.

It's a mask because it masks the nose and mouth.

We don't need to be spun any of their bullshit and patronising user-friendly phrases.

Looks like I'm going to have to tolerate being a law breaker for a bit longer but it's hard to imagine this continuing for much longer if England ditches them in 2 weeks time.

40 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I can't for the life of me understand why they just can't issue a very clear statement about them.

"Mask wearing will remain a legally enforced requirement on public transport and in all retail outlets until further notice."

Oh and as for the article, it's not a "face covering" because it doesn't cover the face.

We don't need to be spun any of their bullshit and patronising user-friendly phrases.

Looks like I'm going to have to tolerate being a law breaker for a bit longer but it's hard to imagine this continuing for much longer if England ditches them in 2 weeks time.

Still a lot of unknowns, looks like England will be going down the recommendation route but that will likely just result in little mask wearing.

My concern on that is it then could becomes somewhat of a fallback & when cases inevitably rise in the coming months, England mirror Scotland in masks being a requirement (wouldn’t be surprised if Wales & NI take a more consistent approach with Scotland). 

Time will tell but I don’t think that’s an unreasonable scenario (although obviously speculative)

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

:lol:

3 hours ago, bazil85 said:

Still a lot of unknowns, looks like England will be going down the recommendation route but that will likely just result in little mask wearing.

My concern on that is it then could becomes somewhat of a fallback & when cases inevitably rise in the coming months, England mirror Scotland in masks being a requirement (wouldn’t be surprised if Wales & NI take a more consistent approach with Scotland). 

Time will tell but I don’t think that’s an unreasonable scenario (although obviously speculative)

You might be right about that.

I am hopeful that the UK government have realised that we are the plague pit of Europe right now despite a year of restrictions and over 90% compliance on mask wearing. They clearly don't work.

There is data out there on NHS staff illnesses showing that FFP3 masks DO seem to work. These shitty blue paper things and especially fabric masks are just useless though.

I am hopeful that the UK government have realised that we are the plague pit of Europe right now despite a year of restrictions and over 90% compliance on mask wearing. They clearly don't work.
There is data out there on NHS staff illnesses showing that FFP3 masks DO seem to work. These shitty blue paper things and especially fabric masks are just useless though.
It's the a$$holes that think they are immune to catching never mind passing it on that are causing the increase of cases. That especially applies to the ones meeting in large numbers after travelling hundreds of miles to sit in a London pub to watch a football match.

14 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:
1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

It's the a$$holes that think they are immune to catching never mind passing it on that are causing the increase of cases. 

That was enough. 

This has always been the case throughput this, it's a pointer that society gives less than a feck about anybody else bar themselves.

4 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:
5 hours ago, oaksoft said:

It's the a$$holes that think they are immune to catching never mind passing it on that are causing the increase of cases. That especially applies to the ones meeting in large numbers after travelling hundreds of miles to sit in a London pub to watch a football match.

You seem to have all the answers.

Have you thought about telling the government?

You should give them a wee call.

Some very good news.......................

Both previously infected and vaccinated people may be immune, perhaps from infection and at least from severe disease, for at least two years, and people who have been vaccinated after recovering from infection may be immune for even longer – potentially for a lifetime.

And with that statement from Boris, it's all over for legally enforced restrictions in England including masks.

Given that we have open borders to England, we'll be forced to follow suit sooner rather than later but this is all over bar the shouting.

Thank f**k for that.

It's a real shame Sturgeon has allowed Boris to set the positive agenda here. I like her but this endless suffocating caution has really damaged her. Will be interesting to see if she accepts her hand is forced now or whether she attempts to brazen it out for another few weeks.

Over to you Nicola.

Tonight I'm going to enjoy a nice beer.

Edited by oaksoft

We won't be re-introducing any legally enforced restrictions again unless the NHS shows signs of being overwhelmed again and the NHS head in Engand assures us that won't happen this winter. I'll fully relax on that score if we get to Spring next year but I suspect we're done with being told what to do like fecking toddlers.

And with that statement from Boris, it's all over for legally enforced restrictions in England including masks.
Given that we have open borders to England, we'll be forced to follow suit sooner rather than later but this is all over bar the shouting.
Thank f**k for that.
It's a real shame Sturgeon has allowed Boris to set the positive agenda here. I like her but this endless suffocating caution has really damaged her. Will be interesting to see if she accepts her hand is forced now or whether she attempts to brazen it out for another few weeks.
Over to you Nicola.

Wee Nicky will flex her muscles to a certain extent for as long as she can but I will ultimately comply (follow suit) with BoJo - expect a 2 to 3 week lag though. Just in time for furlough’s rapid demise!!

13 hours ago, oaksoft said:

We won't be re-introducing any legally enforced restrictions again unless the NHS shows signs of being overwhelmed again and the NHS head in Engand assures us that won't happen this winter. I'll fully relax on that score if we get to Spring next year but I suspect we're done with being told what to do like fecking toddlers.

Aye, because idiots like you would have had this whole mess 1000 times worse if you were left to make your own decisions.

There's been plenty of restrictions that the government have brought in that I've disagreed with and seemed to lack some common sense, no one could have seen what this has done to us and the country but if we hadn't been "told what to do" there would have been thousands more deaths and the NHS that you seem, all of a sudden, seem to be concerned with would have been totally destroyed.

Thank f**k for that.
Over to you Nicola.
You seem to have all the answers, maybe you should follow this guy's advice.

Have you thought about telling the government?
You should give them a wee call.

18 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Come on Oaks, you would have removed all restrictions last May and overwhelmed the NHS. There's a clear reason there's had to be so much hand holding during this.

Whether people push back or not, the vast majority of time they don't know what's better for their health than medical experts. 

On 7/4/2021 at 7:52 PM, oaksoft said:

the reason we are having so many infections currently is most likely due to the UK gov's decision to allow travel from India as the Delta variant emerged and propagated

FFP 3 masks are designed to protect the wearer only and are only of benefit to wider society if literally everybody wears them.  They will filter out virus-sized particles but they then become receptacles for contaminants and eventually the contaminants achieve breakthrough to the wearer.  The surgical and fabric masks achieve a different outcome, they offer no protection to the wearer but diffuse the exhaled air, reducing the chances of you breathing directly on to another person.  They do work in that regard as a protection to the wider public.  I personally think that full-face visors are more effective in that regard