Coronavirus

faraway saint

Here’s an update on my personal situation with regards to Covid.

Monday, this week,2 of my sons aged 9 and 11 tested positive for Covid.

Wednesday my 16 year old son tested positive for Covid.

Friday this week, I tested positive for Covid and so did my Mrs.

My 14 year old daughter is unwell and testing later today.

Track and trace have phoned me each day this week for each person and they found a new variant in my 9 year old who’s teacher tested positive for Covid last week and he became unwell last Thursday and was isolating prior to testing positive

I’m double vaccinated as is my Mrs.

It’s currently like having , a chest infection/kidney infection/throat infection/cold/flu/temperature/sickness at the same time.

Not a good experience

3 boys improving day by day , I’m a few days behind them on wellness but my Mrs is on the mend and quite well.

Being double vaccinated may have stopped me being hospitalised but not getting Covid.

Anyone got similar experience ? Re; Covid

2 hours ago, Scott-Leeds said:

Track and trace have phoned me each day this week for each person and they found a new variant in my 9 year old who’s teacher tested positive for Covid last week and he became unwell last Thursday and was isolating prior to testing positive

It’s currently like having , a chest infection/kidney infection/throat infection/cold/flu/temperature/sickness at the same time.

Not a good experience

3 boys improving day by day , I’m a few days behind them on wellness but my Mrs is on the mend and quite well.

Being double vaccinated may have stopped me being hospitalised but not getting Covid.

Jeez, that’s not good 😕.  

Hope everyone gets back to normal ASAP with no after effects. 😷🤒👍

Not a good experience

So sorry to hear that.
I hope you all make a full recovery.

A good friend of mine was a nurse who came out of retirement to administer vaccinations.

For weeks on end she faced a stream.of unvaccinated people... without any adverse effects.

She took up a new job supporting carers in a hospice.

Last week she was admitted to hospital with COVID pneumonia in both lungs.

She was double vaccinated and in the highest risk area without getting it... yet contracted it in an incredibly sterile environment.

I do worry people are being too complacent too soon.

I am.relieved things are improving.

I was at my first live gig in 16 months last night and had my first draught pint in 16 months too. I swear they used to last longer! [emoji23][emoji12]

It is right to move towards "a new normal", but as you have eloquently highlighted, the risks remain real.

So sorry to hear that.

A good friend of mine was a nurse who came out of retirement to administer vaccinations.

For weeks on end she faced a stream.of unvaccinated people... without any adverse effects.

She was double vaccinated and in the highest risk area without getting it... yet contracted it in an incredibly sterile environment.

I was at my first live gig in 16 months last night and had my first draught pint in 16 months too. I swear they used to last longer! [emoji23][emoji12]

It is right to move towards "a new normal", but as you have eloquently highlighted, the risks remain real.

Cheers for your reply

That’s bizarre about your good friend, I hope she’s well soon

Glad you enjoyed a pint and gig

Like most if not all on here, we’ve genuinely adhered to the restrictions as required but seems the virus is running riot pre-lockdown ending in 8 days

My 9 year old has a new variant I was told but all the other calls from track and trace didn’t mention it about the rest of us.

We will carry on with face masks in supermarkets etc regardless I think.

That's Javid confirmed that England will remove the law on mandatory mask wearing from next Monday.

One of the scientific advisors to the Welsh government has just said Wales should follow suit with removing restrictions and I think Northern Ireland are also looking at this.

It'll be difficult to see how Sturgeon can be any different given the open borders.

I suspect many people will continue to wear masks in public and I respect their right to do that if that's what they want, regardless of my own opinions on their value.

I suppose they are opening things up now rather than waiting for full vaccination of the entire population because you have to re-open at some point.  And when you do, we might be wrong about how effective our vaccines are. Better to find that out in summer than in autumn/winterwhen other things like flu are kicking off.

So I guess the decision was down to either re-opening now or waiting another full year until next summer.

On 7/11/2021 at 2:49 PM, BuddieinEK said:

So sorry to hear that.

I was at my first live gig in 16 months last night and had my first draught pint in 16 months too. I swear they used to last longer! emoji23.pngemoji12.png

That is pretty unfortunate to say the least.

You are right about the risks. They are very real and won't be going away (potentially ever although I'm not fully bought into that narrative yet - it may still burn itself out) but the vaccines will never protect us 100%.

Not sure about the "complacency" comment (just don't like the word) but I do think that within a few weeks or months people will be back to behaving as normal pre-2020 as long as hospitalisations remain low. Will be interesting to see if people ditch social distancing and masks in shops once the law is removed.

Edited by oaksoft

You are right about the risks. They are very real and won't be going away (potentially ever although I'm not fully bought into that narrative yet - it may still burn itself out) but the vaccines will never protect us 100%.
Not sure about the "complacency" comment (just don't like the word) but I do think that within a few weeks or months people will be back to behaving as normal pre-2020 as long as hospitalisations remain low. Will be interesting to see if people ditch social distancing and masks in shops once the law is removed.
I think things will go back to normal except for people being more cautious if they, or someone else, has a cough/temperature etc.

5 hours ago, Slarti said:
6 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I think things will go back to normal except for people being more cautious if they, or someone else, has a cough/temperature etc.

Agreed but I suspect even that will be forgotten by next summer.

3 hours ago, Doakes said:

My guess is that government will put pressure on private companies to maintain restrictions even after "freedom day"

Possibly with some incentives thrown in

Not sure about this.

The only companies who would consider making life difficult for their customers by doing this would be those who think there is a market for it.

All of the others will be too desperate for cash after a year of difficulty to want to enforce anything.

When the law is lifted I think that'll be the end of it.

On 7/10/2021 at 6:37 PM, saintnextlifetime said:

Thanks for that update EAB.

Is it the unlicensed , untested , emergency use only vaccines that you are promoting?

I am guessing it's the one which has virtually eliminated serious illness and death for those who have had both injections.

Almost everyone in hospital and ICU in particular are those who are unvaccinated.

Your life, your choice.

Edited by oaksoft

I am guessing it's the one which has virtually eliminated serious illness and death for those who have had both injections.
Almost everyone in hospital and ICU in particular are those who are unvaccinated.
Your life, your choice.

In a way I agree with that, but there are other people that cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons who will be put at a greater risk by those who choose to not get vaccinated.

Maybe those who choose to not get vaccinated should be restricted to their own homes to keep others safe. You know, treated like the idiots they are.

4 hours ago, Slarti said:

In a way I agree with that, but there are other people that cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons who will be put at a greater risk by those who choose to not get vaccinated.

Maybe those who choose to not get vaccinated should be restricted to their own homes to keep others safe. You know, treated like the idiots they are.

I wasn't commenting about those with medical reasons for not vaccinating. I was aiming that comment squarely at @saintnextlifetime.

I don't agree with that bit in bold.

They should be and will be free to live however they want. None of us have the right to force any medicine on another human being. And using the justification of "to keep the rest of us safe" doesn't cut it. The idea of vaccine passports to limit where they can go and what they can do is an abomination which should be opposed. The last year has been a horror show in terms of how easily people are willing to give up hard-fought- for every day freedoms in the name of "safety". That has been a real eye opener.

30 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I wasn't commenting about those with medical reasons for not vaccinating. I was aiming that comment squarely at @saintnextlifetime.

I don't agree with that bit in bold.

They should be and will be free to live however they want. None of us have the right to force any medicine on another human being. And using the justification of "to keep the rest of us safe" doesn't cut it. The idea of vaccine passports to limit where they can go and what they can do is an abomination which should be opposed. The last year has been a horror show in terms of how easily people are willing to give up hard-fought- for every day freedoms in the name of "safety". That has been a real eye opener.

To me, refusing the vaccine is akin to parents refusing their kids medical treatment on religious grounds.  One person makes the decision and another potentially pays for it, and all based on uncorroborated pseudo-scientific and/or faith based nonsense.  If it would only affect that person (e.g. non-infectious) then fair enough but here is very little in life that only affects a single person, whether that be infection or taking up medical resources/time if/when that person does get "whatever it is".

IMO, if someone gets infected with something for which they have previously been offered and refused a vaccine, then they should be charged for the medical treatment that they are given if/when they are infected with that something - if there is space for them at the surgery/hospital in the first place as they should go to the end of the queue.  I also think, among other similar things, that smokers should go to the end of the queue for lung transplants etc. as well as having to pay if/when they do get a transplant - and this is coming from someone who has smoked for over 40 years.

The idea of vaccine passports to limit where they can go and what they can do is an abomination which should be opposed. The last year has been a horror show in terms of how easily people are willing to give up hard-fought- for every day freedoms in the name of "safety". That has been a real eye opener.

You don't know we have this already. [emoji1787]

2 hours ago, Slarti said:

To me, refusing the vaccine is akin to parents refusing their kids medical treatment on religious grounds.  One person makes the decision and another potentially pays for it, and all based on uncorroborated pseudo-scientific and/or faith based nonsense.  If it would only affect that person (e.g. non-infectious) then fair enough but here is very little in life that only affects a single person, whether that be infection or taking up medical resources/time if/when that person does get "whatever it is".

IMO, if someone gets infected with something for which they have previously been offered and refused a vaccine, then they should be charged for the medical treatment that they are given if/when they are infected with that something - if there is space for them at the surgery/hospital in the first place as they should go to the end of the queue.  I also think, among other similar things, that smokers should go to the end of the queue for lung transplants etc. as well as having to pay if/when they do get a transplant - and this is coming from someone who has smoked for over 40 years.

100%, feck them all onto some shitty island and let them enjoy their choice together.