Coronavirus

faraway saint

Only if you take it at face value. 0 woman would mean no age. Sorry I had to explain that.
I said that you never thought it through PROPERLY and, by "explaining" it, you've just demonstrated that I was right. [emoji1787]

So, just back from a pleasant few days in Edinburgh.

Plenty of places had outside seating where masks were not required when sitting at your table, drinks served by mask wearing staff.

In the new St James's centre a very respectable 90% of people were complying (approx) which is a fairly open shopping centre, certainly not claustrophobic. 

The train journey home had everyone playing the game and wearing a mask. 

Edinburgh, like most places, despite less and less restrictions being in place, has seen a steady decline in cases. 

The very clear evidence that the vaccine is breaking the link between serious illness and deaths continues to be very positive.

image.thumb.png.0f83be71c640f09496bdf6b9eabe0a41.png

Foreign travel still seems to be looking erratic, certainly still a long way from the conditions I'd be making a booking.

I had hoped for s possible week away in October but that's looking less likely, New year is the next best bet. 

On 7/17/2021 at 6:09 PM, antrin said:

Masks ARE effective.  Understanding why that may be, is perhaps too big a mental step for some to take.

You should definitely send an email to that guy. :lol:

I'm sure he'll be impressed by your intellectual credentials for making such a definitive statement.

By the way, the holes in these masks are 500,000 bigger than the particle the virus travels on.

That's like expecting to catch a fish with a net containing holes the size of New Zealand.

If you genuinely think your mask is catching any of those particles then that's your prerogative. :lol:

Edited by oaksoft

On 7/14/2021 at 2:55 PM, oaksoft said:

It's never going to end Doakes. I'm waiting for the "ah but we should mask-up to eliminate flu" crowd to pipe up. One of the Independent Sage members has already voiced that opinion. Susan Michie (?) believes we should NEVER give up masks. Are people really up for that? A lifetime of masking up? Seriously?

Once certain people get a power rush they really struggle to give it up.

Some of these scientists who are on the TV and radio everyday probably didn't speak to anyone outside academia prior to covid. Now they are inundated with people following their every word and they are drunk on that high. That why Jason Leitch makes stupid egotistical comments like "don't even bother to pick up the phone to me" regarding crowds of 500. Where does he get off talkinhg to anyone like that? Nobody elected this twat but he's sounding off like he's in charge.

We've got a problem here and unfortunately the public support them in large numbers so I'm not sure how we're ever going to break free of their unwarranted and continued intrusion into our lives.

On 7/17/2021 at 5:47 PM, oaksoft said:

It's nice to see someone at Sage finally admit this.

A few of us have been banging on about this for over a year now on various forums.

Such a shame he didn't think to speak up before all this mask obsessing began.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/07/17/cloth-face-masks-comfort-blankets-do-little-curb-covid-spread/?WT.mc_id=tmgliveapp_iosshare_AxdbmR7tGYPz

Couldnae make it up. :lol:

You come out decrying "some" experts    when it doesn't suit your narrow minded, and absurd, views then you do yet another complete "flip flop" to back up your belief, which is wrong, that masks do no good.

Best you run over to P&B, although I did notice no-one agreed with you over their either. :byebye

You should definitely send an email to that guy. [emoji38]
I'm sure he'll be impressed by your intellectual credentials for making such a definitive statement.
By the way, the holes in these masks are 500,000 bigger than the particle the virus travels on.
That's like expecting to catch a fish with a net containing holes the size of New Zealand.
If you genuinely think your mask is catching any of those particles then that's your prerogative. [emoji38]
So the holes are still smaller than the ones in your graph? :whistle [emoji1787]

So, just back from a pleasant few days in Edinburgh.
Plenty of places had outside seating where masks were not required when sitting at your table, drinks served by mask wearing staff.
In the new St James's centre a very respectable 90% of people were complying (approx) which is a fairly open shopping centre, certainly not claustrophobic. 
The train journey home had everyone playing the game and wearing a mask. 
Edinburgh, like most places, despite less and less restrictions being in place, has seen a steady decline in cases. 
The very clear evidence that the vaccine is breaking the link between serious illness and deaths continues to be very positive.
image.thumb.png.0f83be71c640f09496bdf6b9eabe0a41.png
Foreign travel still seems to be looking erratic, certainly still a long way from the conditions I'd be making a booking.
I had hoped for s possible week away in October but that's looking less likely, New year is the next best bet. 

Was on the train yesterday from Hawkhead to Glasgow Central and the carriage I was in containing say 15 people no-one was wearing a mask, the conductor came up to check tickets (he had his mask on) and didn’t challenge anyone, however on the return journey everyone was wearing their mask.

But if a mixed bag, I did wonder if it’s a case of someone setting the precedent regarding the wearing or not wearing of masks?

2 minutes ago, RichardBuddie said:

Was on the train yesterday from Hawkhead to Glasgow Central and the carriage I was in containing say 15 people no-one was wearing a mask, the conductor came up to check tickets (he had his mask on) and didn’t challenge anyone, however on the return journey everyone was wearing their mask.

But if a mixed bag, I did wonder if it’s a case of someone setting the precedent regarding the wearing or not wearing of masks?

I think it'll get less and less, mask wearing, especially when the rules, as in England from tomorrow, overall will be saying it's down the each individual.

As far as I know some transport systems will still insist, understandable in a confined space for lengthy periods of time.

I'll do what the guidelines say, the more people are vaccinated the better for everyone. 

If you genuinely think your mask is catching any of those particles then that's your prerogative. [emoji38]

Could you tell us the size in millimetres that you claim are 500,000 bigger?

If my calculations and the information I've read is correct, the smallest particle is 50nm, so by multiplying it by 500,000 the hole size in the masks are 25,000,000nm that is 25mm.

I may though be wrong in my calculation.

6 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

If my calculations and the information I've read is correct, the smallest particle is 50nm, so by multiplying it by 500,000 the hole size in the masks are 25,000,000nm that is 25mm.

Which is almost an inch in old money 

Some mask that. 😆

A nm is 1/1,000,000,000m, so 50nm is 50/1,000,000,000m, or 1/20,000,000m. Multiply by 500,000 gives 1/40m or 25mm.

So, aye, if the 50nm information is correct, the holes would need to be 2.5cm. Larger holes than (intact) fishnet stockings, in other words.

Now, how big is New Zealand and how big is an average fish?

A nm is 1/1,000,000,000m, so 50nm is 50/1,000,000,000m, or 1/20,000,000m. Multiply by 500,000 gives 1/40m or 25mm.

So, aye, if the 50nm information is correct, the holes would need to be 2.5cm. Larger holes than (intact) fishnet stockings, in other words.

Now, how big is New Zealand and how big is an average fish?
Apparently New Zealand is about 1,600km long so, dividing by 500,000, the average fish would need to be 3.2m, slightly smaller than a tuna and you can fit them into wee cans so he might have a point. [emoji16]

So it's "freedom day" down in England today.

When will we get the same level of changes, although even the current "rules" have very little effect on day to day life for most of us.

The issues with people being informed they have to self isolate will go through the roof, causing more problems for business's. 

Still a rocky road ahead for a while methinx. 

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

So it's "freedom day" down in England today.

When will we get the same level of changes, although even the current "rules" have very little effect on day to day life for most of us.

The issues with people being informed they have to self isolate will go through the roof, causing more problems for business's. 

Still a rocky road ahead for a while methinx. 

In the short term, the major problem, aside from rising hospitalisation etc. seems to be the impact of self-isolation on businesses and public services.

Hopefully, when or if the requirement for self-isolation for double vaccinated is removed that won't be such a problem.

I see the NHS is already planning to implement this if the pressure on the service rises.

Covid: Double-jabbed NHS staff could avoid isolation if service under pressure - BBC News

Although as has been pointed out, the numbers self-isolating may be so high due to the limitations of track and trace. 

15 hours ago, oaksoft said:

You should definitely send an email to that guy. :lol:

If you genuinely think your mask is catching any of those particles then that's your prerogative. :lol:

On 7/17/2021 at 6:09 PM, antrin said:

Understanding why that may be, is perhaps too big a mental step for some to take.

QED

I was wrong, I calculated the minimum size of the virus particle. Not the minimum size of the particle that can carry the virus particle.

The minimum size is.........

Screenshot_20210719-130446_Chrome.jpeg

So 500,000 times 4.7microns is 500mm/50cm/20"

Surely that can't be correct? [emoji1787]