Coronavirus

faraway saint

You say that, faraway, but my son and dil caught Covid in September, both were completely asymptomatic. The two of them picked up Omicron last week (confirmed by NHS), both confined to bed completely f**ked.
Sorry to hear that. Out of curiosity, are they both double jagged and, if so, what vaccine? Apparently Pfizer is better against this varient.

Sent from my SM-A415F using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, salmonbuddie said:

You say that, faraway, but my son and dil caught Covid in September, both were completely asymptomatic. The two of them picked up Omicron last week (confirmed by NHS), both confined to bed completely f**ked.

I hope that's the worst that they suffer, not enough to start closing down the country. 

There will always be a small minority that get symptoms worse than other's but the evidence, as I've already stated from South Africa, where this is rife, is that it's having less effect than other variants. 

Sorry to hear that. Out of curiosity, are they both double jagged and, if so, what vaccine? Apparently Pfizer is better against this varient.

Not sure what they were given but my son didn't get his second jag, it was due in September but he got Covid so it was postponed. And rearranged for yesterday...

This is actually the third time the dil's caught it (think she's going for a record) and I know she's had both and the booster (for work reasons). She first caught it July last year and lost taste and smell which hasn't come back but this is the first it's floored her.

4 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I hope it's the new variant they caught, less chance of ANYTHING happening to them to talk of.

I would imagine that your talking about deposits, small change to what they would have made when you add on drinks, so unlikely they'll be any profit in that approach. 

Nope.

2 hours ago, salmonbuddie said:

If its nothing more than confined to bed and feeling shite, it IS mild though. 

Returned a very faint positive on LFT today and PCR done earlier. Same as my Mrs.

They're both young and healthy and Omicron's done that to them when the other variants had no effect on them whatsoever. What's it going to do to old diabetic stroke victims like me if one of us gets it?

Just now, salmonbuddie said:
1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Returned a very faint positive on LFT today and PCR done earlier. Same as my Mrs.

They're both young and healthy and Omicron's done that to them when the other variants had no effect on them whatsoever. What's it going to do to old diabetic stroke victims like me if one of us gets it?

I totally understand the personal situation but that can't be used across the population.

For everyone in the bracket you have quoted there will be many many more who will have had nothing or next to nothing.

South Africa actually have LESS people in hospital and ICU compared to the earlier numbers that Delta had produced. 

At this stage there's nothing to suggest this variant is more serious than any others. 

There will be new variants for evermore, are we to close down society every winter?

I totally understand the personal situation but that can't be used across the population.
For everyone in the bracket you have quoted there will be many many more who will have had nothing or next to nothing.
South Africa actually have LESS people in hospital and ICU compared to the earlier numbers that Delta had produced. 
At this stage there's nothing to suggest this variant is more serious than any others. 
There will be new variants for evermore, are we to close down society every winter?

Not saying that, and I get what's being suggested by the data, just pointing out that nothing definite is known yet so, imo anyway, we're better erring on the side of caution. But I'm old and risk averse so I would say that...

[emoji846]

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Care to clarify? :blink:

A company I know of cancelled their employees night out in a hotel. Not a penny was returned to them. The full amount had been paid. It was a considerable sum of money. 

Hotel said it was because they had already ordered food etc. You and I both know the mark up on a three course Xmas dinner at a hotel night out, compared to what a punter actually pays, is huge. 

Although I did hear that another hotel across the city gave a company the option to take up their cancelled booking next Xmas at no extra cost.

Also, I know of two people who cancelled their bookings at Crieff Hydro due to potential infection concerns, one of whom who is still suffering the after effects of having Covid in October and is now pregnant. Neither received a penny back from a £145 booking.

Although another person in the group who tested positive for Covid, was offered their money back, if they provided proof that they had covid.

4 minutes ago, FTOF said:

A company I know of cancelled their employees night out in a hotel. Not a penny was returned to them. The full amount had been paid. It was a considerable sum of money. 

Hotel said it was because they had already ordered food etc. You and I both know the mark up on a three course Xmas dinner at a hotel night out, compared to what a punter actually pays, is huge. 

Although I did hear that another hotel across the city gave a company the option to take up their cancelled booking next Xmas at no extra cost.

Also, I know of two people who cancelled their bookings at Crieff Hydro due to potential infection concerns, one of whom who is still suffering the after effects of having Covid in October and is now pregnant. Neither received a penny back from a £145 booking.

Although another person in the group who tested positive for Covid, was offered their money back, if they provided proof that they had covid.

Ok, so short term, some poorly managed commercial establishments decided to try to cut their loses/make a profit.

Also some, as you've "heard about" have tried to honour the bookings for a future date.

It seems, according to what you've heard is a mixed situation/response.

This doesn't cover business's that have not been paid in full, which I'd imagine would be the majority, and, going forward, disaster is staring them in the face for the foreseeable if the current over reaction continues. 

I could quote the few I know about who are back to fearing for their livelihood. as it's all irrelevant and hearsay. 

My viewpoint is based on the current data/facts coming from the source of this variant, where vaccinations are much lower than ours, so I do not see the need to increase, certainly in Scotland, the current (pre the last few days) guidelines. 

5 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I hope that's the worst that they suffer, not enough to start closing down the country. 

There will always be a small minority that get symptoms worse than other's but the evidence, as I've already stated from South Africa, where this is rife, is that it's having less effect than other variants. 

You’d think closing in on two years since this kicked off & being wrong multiple times, you’d have learned not to jump the gun by now. 🤦‍♂️

There are plenty of unknowns still on severity & risks linked to Omicron hence why there is concern & caution the world over. 

Edited by bazil85

Well , funny enough I couldn’t be arsed trawling through 516 previous pages of experts , just thought I’d share my (& my better half’s ) experience of Covid. 
we both tested positive early November last year and have to say , had worse flu previously . Family are coming down now with what can only be described as weak flu / bad cold despite being double jabbed - including kids as young as 8 .

The “experts” tell us this latest variant is not as bad as previous but more contagious , other “experts” say this will be a dangerous and potentially deadly and dominant variant .

Who’s to know  what’s best ?  Do we lock the doors , plunge the economy into meltdown or learn to live with this and work round it ? 

I certainly don’t know what’s best but I’ll ask the question …….. do we need some new “experts” 

I certainly don’t know what’s best but I’ll ask the question …….. do we need some new “experts” 

Possibly. I'd recommend Baz and BinEK for all subjects, not just covid. That way we would all know that the actual truth lay somewhere inbetween. It would at least narrow things down a bit.

3 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Well , funny enough I couldn’t be arsed trawling through 516 previous pages of experts , just thought I’d share my (& my better half’s ) experience of Covid. 
we both tested positive early November last year and have to say , had worse flu previously . Family are coming down now with what can only be described as weak flu / bad cold despite being double jabbed - including kids as young as 8 .

The “experts” tell us this latest variant is not as bad as previous but more contagious , other “experts” say this will be a dangerous and potentially deadly and dominant variant .

Who’s to know  what’s best ?  Do we lock the doors , plunge the economy into meltdown or learn to live with this and work round it ? 

Don't want start a mass panic on here with Celtic and Rangers on the horizon :whistle  but I have it on good authority It has the potential to be very dangerous due to it's genetic make up that's why they are all worried..  We should know very shortly either way within days. keep your eyes on South Africa they'll know there first

You want my advice Gillhooley wear one these even in bed  :ph34r: 😷 

On 7/21/2021 at 6:48 PM, Doakes said:

The restrictions I can understand, in order to protect the NHS. I do believe that at some point, we need to open up fully. The governments half in, half out policy really hasn't done us any favours. For me, being an island nation, we either had to go full New Zealand - or fully commit to seeking herd immunity. So many mistakes made, been quite embarrassing to watch. 

Really don't agree with creating a heavily restricted underclass of people who refuse to be vaccinated. We are going to hit a point (fairly soon, from what I can tell) where enough people are vaccinated to allow a return to something like normality. People are going to continue to get sick to some extent - a high percentage of positive cases have been double jabbed so that trend would suggest jabs 3, 4, 5. 6... won't completely remove the risk either. 

This MRNA technology is designed to allow booster jabs dependent on new strains, which people will be expected to take whenever it is mandated by the government (or more accurately, by the scientists advising them)

The appetite for booster jabs will likely fall off if people don't see the benefit. The government will be in an awkward position if there's still people kicking around in a few years time who refuse to commit to MRNA vaccines - that's why I reckon it will become compulsory further down the line, which sounds a bit too fascist for my liking. 

Is the penny dropping for anyone yet? :ph34r:

20 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Yeah, imagine folk trying to save lives. Disgraceful emoji848.png

Ignoring the fact that the leaky vaccines still allow transmission, Britain is now a heavily vaccinated country with a low death rate - by prioritising boosters for healthy people with well functioning immune systems over assisting developing nations with large numbers of unvaccinated people seems an odd way of going about things

If it was all about saving lives, they would be prioritising getting the NHS back to full capacity - waiting lists for cancer treatment, operations etc. are absolutely massive and need to be addressed as a matter of priority

Moving on to boosters 4, 5, 6, 7 at such a frantic rate is unnecessary and not what the public signed up for. What happened to getting back to normal once most of the population was vaccinated? 

Ignoring the fact that the leaky vaccines still allow transmission, Britain is now a heavily vaccinated country with a low death rate - by prioritising boosters for healthy people with well functioning immune systems over assisting developing nations with large numbers of unvaccinated people seems an odd way of going about things
If it was all about saving lives, they would be prioritising getting the NHS back to full capacity - waiting lists for cancer treatment, operations etc. are absolutely massive and need to be addressed as a matter of priority
Moving on to boosters 4, 5, 6, 7 at such a frantic rate is unnecessary and not what the public signed up for. What happened to getting back to normal once most of the population was vaccinated? 

Where do you propose the folk that we don't vaccinate and catch this virus, then subsequently require hospital care get accommodated?

44 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:
1 hour ago, Doakes said:

Where do you propose the folk that we don't vaccinate and catch this virus, then subsequently require hospital care get accommodated?

There are very few people in the UK with zero protection at this point. Most have either had the virus, or been vaccinated. Death rate is extremely low, especially for the new variant.

Do we just continue like this forever?  

Why is it ok to allow people to die of cancer because they are still waiting for treatment, but not of a virus? 

More about control than it is about a virus 

1 hour ago, Doakes said:

There are very few people in the UK with zero protection at this point. Most have either had the virus, or been vaccinated. Death rate is extremely low, especially for the new variant.

Why is it ok to allow people to die of cancer because they are still waiting for treatment, but not of a virus? 

If we don t get this under control  there will be no room in hospitals  for anything other than covid patients 

2 hours ago, Doakes said:

Your view is awful idealistic that there is a solution & it’s either all in or all out.

In reality, there is a need to be cautious to prevent the NHS from being overwhelmed. What form that takes (regarding restrictions), time will tell. But given the nature of the UK regarding trade, travel & London being a major economic & financial hub, a New Zealand style lockdown just wouldn’t have been possible. 

Covid is a long-term pandemic, a quickly mutating virus. It would be great if the world could have sorted it all out in two years but again, not realistic. 

Of course the death rate this now is really low, its new and folk aren't just falling over dead as soon as they catch it.

Show me where I've ever said we should be letting folk die of anything.

Treatments of cancer is still going on and will carry on.

947c8e2a45dca7d440ce9dc7f4ba74ab.jpg

e3b11185dc9214873cad83e8edbf8a8a.jpg

Scottish Government saying they want all over 18s boostered by end of year and have opened up appointments for the 30-40 age group Strange how I know/have spoken to over 50s who can’t get an appointment this year 🤔