Coronavirus

faraway saint

Jason Leitch actually said this latest variant is only 3 weeks old worldwide, a blatant, and gigantic, fib. 

Well if you can show the clip where he used the word, Worldwide I'll agree with you.

If he didn't, I'm sure you'll be back to admit your mistake. I've listened to what he said when he was talking about giving advice to the First Minister and referencing the talks with the other UK clinicians about it HERE.

71b1ec8468dd622ea4a6618eb4ac75cf.jpg

2 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Well if you can show the clip where he used the word, Worldwide I'll agree with you.

If he didn't, I'm sure you'll be back to admit your mistake. I've listened to what he said when he was talking about giving advice to the First Minister and referencing the talks with the other UK clinicians about it HERE.

71b1ec8468dd622ea4a6618eb4ac75cf.jpg

It was on BBC news this morning, not long before 7:00am, I rewound it to make sure.

This. below, was from yesterday, listen carefully where he says "It didn't exist 21 days ago", although on this mornings interview he said worldwide.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotland-59719088

It was on BBC news this morning, not long before 7:00am, I rewound it to make sure.
This. below, was from yesterday, listen carefully where he says "It didn't exist 21 days ago", although on this mornings interview he said worldwide.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotland-59719088
He's talking about in Scotland. [emoji1787]

The full interview is available on iplayer. [emoji6]

1 hour ago, Cookie Monster said:

He's talking about in Scotland. emoji1787.png

The full interview is available on iplayer. emoji6.png

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0012pph

This is available on BBC Sounds. Listen from 36:30 onwards and you will hear him say that "the numbers in hospital are actually on a bit of a downward trend in hospital admissions but that's the delta wave and it was beginning to be controlled. Two weeks ago we hardly had any omiccron , but it's so fast we now have a lot of omicron." He also makes the point that that it can take 2 weeks from the time of infection to the need for hospital admission.

4 hours ago, faraway saint said:

South Africa cases continue to slowly decline, as was suggested last week when they were leveling off.

Todays death count is THREE, (probably down to the delay in reporting over the weekend) only baz the fool uses a single day as some sort of proof but importantly the average has slightly dropped, still too early to see a consistent trend.

More importantly Scotland cases continue to climb and, slightly worryingly, both hospital cases & ICU show a slight rise. 

Unfortunately all media outlets are still creaming themselves over the rise in cases.

Jason Leitch actually said this latest variant is only 3 weeks old worldwide, a blatant, and gigantic, fib. 

While literally using one day of data. 

Meanwhile, as predicted, hospital cases in the UK continue to rise, sadly for anyone that’s actually paid attention to the Covid pandemic will know, deaths are very likely to not be far behind. 

South Africa have potentially seen their cases peak (scientists had said it was likely to be a rapid increase but quicker fall than other waves). Time will tell, the continued impact on hospitalisations & deaths & how much we can compare that to the uk. Remembering as said all along by scientists, they are a younger population & in the height of summer. 

7 hours ago, smcc said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0012pph

This is available on BBC Sounds. Listen from 36:30 onwards and you will hear him say that "the numbers in hospital are actually on a bit of a downward trend in hospital admissions but that's the delta wave and it was beginning to be controlled. Two weeks ago we hardly had any omiccron , but it's so fast we now have a lot of omicron." He also makes the point that that it can take 2 weeks from the time of infection to the need for hospital admission.

Which hasn't materialised in South Africa, with a considerably smaller rate of vaccination.

6 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Again, there are delays in case testing which accounts for the lower cases. Hospitalisations and ICU numbers won't reflect this wave for another week or two. 

Been saying that for a week or two !

Interestingly only 3/4% of cases are over 65 ie the age group with the highest number of booster jabs ,been like that for a while.

1 minute ago, waldorf34 said:

Interestingly only 3/4% of cases are over 65 ie the age group with the highest number of booster jabs ,been like that for a while.

I've been saying it for a week or two with the same time period. The average cases in Scotland 14 days ago aren't far off what they were a month ago, it's the big rise after that, that's the concern. Generally most people don't end up in ICU then die within 14 days, it will take time for these increased cases to reflect. Same as it has done at any other point in the pandemic. 

Your second point highlights a part of why it takes time for us to see the impacts. That 3 to 4% will go up in the more vulnerable age groups and then we'll see what the impact is. People can jump the gun all they want, we still won't see the impacts starting to filter through for a couple of weeks. 

1 hour ago, waldorf34 said:

Looking at the drivel he's posted, you have to laugh.

Making up there's a delay in testing to dismiss the drop in cases really is side splitting when he's quite happy when testing increases, therefore cases usually increase.

Also, even oor Jayson admits we've had this for 3 weeks, and the average time for this to materialise in rises in hospital admissions and ICU is 1 - 7 days for hospitalisation and between 6-10 days for ICU.

Maybe Baz knows more than the scientists, maybe he is a scientist. :lol:

Still not increases, he'll be hoping there are soon. :thumbsdown

28 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Looking at the drivel he's posted, you have to laugh.

Making up there's a delay in testing to dismiss the drop in cases really is side splitting when he's quite happy when testing increases, therefore cases usually increase.

Also, even oor Jayson admits we've had this for 3 weeks, and the average time for this to materialise in rises in hospital admissions and ICU is 1 - 7 days for hospitalisation and between 6-10 days for ICU.

Maybe Baz knows more than the scientists, maybe he is a scientist. :lol:

Still not increases, he'll be hoping there are soon. :thumbsdown

Wrong again on so much. 

- case delays are causing issues with reporting 

- cases in Scotland  3 weeks ago are not dissimilar to what they were 4/5 weeks ago, as such we are not yet seeing the impact of omicron. 
- you’re literally the one jumping ahead of the science on what’s known. 

It’s actually unbelievable you’re following this pattern again after being wrong so consistently before. 

D3AB6D93-7241-4DA5-8343-06B3DE66EBEE.jpeg

31 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

This shows the dramatic rise in cases (blue)and the continued decrease in hospital admission's (yellow) and deaths.(red)

The reaction of the Scottish government is way out of proportion and has no facts or science to back it up, criminal.

image.thumb.png.84c8bb8bda1d0bb6710002c09f6156ae.png

Of course there is evidence.

If you do some basic internet research there are plenty of scientific articles that show, based on previous waves, that there is a significant lag in hospitalisations/deaths after infection.

You've often dismissed evidence produced by others from other countries being compared with the UK, as it's "comparing apples with pears". So, trotting out evidence from South Africa seems somewhat hypocritical.

If a government sailed on regardless, ignoring previous evidence from the pandemic, and there were significant repercussions, then they'd be pilloried. With recent history indicating that it would be the people complaining about overly zealous measures put in place in the first place, that would be the loudest in condemning the government for not doing enough!

I'm not 100% convinced that we'll see as big a number of deaths or hospitalisations as previous waves. This is purely based on the very limited evidence of the mild symptoms that anyone I know who has been infected in the past couple of weeks have experienced . 

Edited by FTOF

Just now, FTOF said:

Of course there is evidence.

If you do some basic internet research there are plenty of scientific articles that show, based on previous waves, that there is a significant lag in hospitalisations/deaths.

You've often dismissed evidence produced by others from other countries being compared with the UK, as it's "comparing apples with pears". So, trotting out evidence from South Africa seems somewhat hypocritical.

If a government sailed on regardless, ignoring previous evidence from the pandemic, and there were significant repercussions, then they'd be pilloried. With recent history indicating that it would be the people complaining about overly zealous measures put in place in the first place, that would be the loudest in condemning the government for not doing enough!

I'm not 100% convinced that we'll see as big a number of deaths or hospitalisations as previous waves. This is purely based on the very limited evidence of the mild symptoms that anyone I know who has been infected in the past couple of weeks have experienced . 

So, are you disagreeing with the ONS numbers on when hospitalisation and death can occur? 

This is a new variant, and first appeared in South Africa, hence the reason it's as good a reference as anywhere.

I agree on governments having to show they are reacting to the science, but this isn't the same as previous variants and as such should be treated as such.

Your last paragraph sums it up and are we to stop "living" every winter when, proportionally, the serious effects are minimal? 

A point being made more and more, what's the point in vaccines if life is to stop every winter? 
I think the point of them is to get me wait in a queue at the Lagoon for over 3 hours even though I had an appointment time. Just as well some of it was on work time.

Just now, Slarti said:
2 hours ago, faraway saint said:
A point being made more and more, what's the point in vaccines if life is to stop every winter? 

I think the point of them is to get me wait in a queue at the Lagoon for over 3 hours even though I had an appointment time. Just as well some of it was on work time.

Small price to pay for you to continue to post on here for years.................................

Wish they'd shut the doors just before you got in. :lol: