Coronavirus

faraway saint

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Beep beep beep, reversing.

You said I was ignoring the science which you were trying to use to back up your belief that things would get worse, the irony in that is staggering. 

Oh, and, as usual, you keep referring to the one set of figures from some scientist, when you've already agreed the science is wide ranging in it's predictions, and that you were right, and you deserve a gold star for this.

You increase your posts when things get worse, as you have over the last few weeks, a smug b'strd who has no ability to see the bigger picture. 

No reversing at all, completely consistent. Where have I ever denied that this has been a massive learning curve for science? 

You’ve been wrong so many times throughout this pandemic & instead of owning that, you deflect onto others like me. It’s pathetic, you’re trolling is embarrassing & a cry for attention. Spread poison in almost every thread then have a cheek to call me out on how I use BAWA. 

Why don’t you go announce your ignore button again… oh that’s why, you’ve never had any attention of ignoring me ever, just more ‘look at me & what I’m doing’ type posts. 

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

This thread, and every person that's contributed has added something, has attracted over 427,000 views, quite staggering for a forum that's certainly operating with far fewer members than in previous years. 

Tom Thumb from Arbroath is struggling. His wee man's syndrome is destroying him. Give him praise and attention for this boring thread. The dwarf has just been destroyed by Bazil and deservedly so .

Sue Denim is king of this topic.

Toxic Titch is the new lookatme.

Look at him and laugh at him .

Tom Thumb from Arbroath is struggling. His wee man's syndrome is destroying him. Give him praise and attention for this boring thread. The dwarf has just been destroyed by Bazil and deservedly so .
Sue Denim is king of this topic.
Toxic Titch is the new lookatme.
Look at him and laugh at him .

Why did you like his original post on the 447k (or whatever it was) views on the thread then?

I have learned a lot from the thread personally - some posts I agree with and many that I don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, RichardBuddie said:

Why did you like his original post on the 447k (or whatever it was) views on the thread then?

I have learned a lot from the thread personally - some posts I agree with and many that I don’t.

Don't rise to him, Shull's trying way too hard to be annoying, you have to laugh. :wink:

5 minutes ago, RichardBuddie said:

I didn't. You better check the post again. Anyway, if I had, it would make him feel 10 feet tall instead of his usual two

I didn't. You better check the post again. Anyway, if I had, it would make him feel 10 feet tall instead of his usual two

Not on my phone, likes by RichardBuddie and Sidmirren. Anyways no crisis (a screenshot if I was capable of taking one would add no value) the threads a good one and has evolved with the virus - it did take a wee dip at one point I’m sure but has certainly resurrected itself.

15 minutes ago, RichardBuddie said:

Not on my phone, likes by RichardBuddie and Sidmirren. Anyways no crisis (a screenshot if I was capable of taking one would add no value) the threads a good one and has evolved with the virus - it did take a wee dip at one point I’m sure but has certainly resurrected itself.

I didn't like your post either.

So, after the Christmas break where only cases were made public the updated numbers show that hospitalisations have risen slightly, with ICU staying steady.

Cases continue to rise, but, thankfully, deaths have all but reached zero on average (5)

Unfortunately here in Scotland we're stuck with the outdated 10 day isolation rules, so expect more absence in services, including the NHS. 

Edited by faraway saint

23 hours ago, faraway saint said:

So, after the Christmas break where only cases were made public the updated numbers show that hospitalisations have risen slightly, with ICU staying steady.

Cases continue to rise, but, thankfully, deaths have all but reached zero on average (5)

Unfortunately here in Scotland we're stuck with the outdated 10 day isolation rules, so expect more absence in services, including the NHS. 

In Scotland hospital numbers rise again, with today showing a significant increase. 

The numbers are back to where they were in November when there were no real restrictions. 

ICU continues to slowly decrease and deaths stay at an average of 5. 

Still, nothing to stop me heading to a holiday cottage tomorrow for a few days. :wink:

I'd imagine we'll follow suit after the New Year.

Covid: Wales' self isolation period cut from 10 days to seven - BBC News

Also, some of the info from today's NYT e-mail.

What we know about Omicron?

The U.S. broke its record for daily coronavirus cases, as two highly contagious variants — Delta and Omicron — have converged to drag the country into another long winter.

The seven-day average of U.S. cases topped 267,000 yesterday, edging out the previous record of 251,232 cases on Jan. 11. The Omicron variant is also tearing through Europe, where Britain, Denmark, France, Greece and Italy all set records for new daily cases this week.

Omicron is still full of mysteries, but here’s the latest on the new variant.

First, some good news. A new laboratory study from South Africa showed that people who had recovered from an Omicron infection might be able to fend off later infections from Delta. If Omicron edges out more dangerous variants as the dominant one in the real world, that could lead to a less dire future for the pandemic.

Also positive. Omicron produced a worrisome increase in hospitalizations among children in the U.S., but experts said that they were not seeing evidence that Omicron was more threatening to children. Instead, a combination of factors, including low vaccination rates, was the most likely explanation.

Hopeful signs. U.S. officials and W.H.O. scientists said that the early data showed Omicron infections producing milder illness, in the form of fewer hospitalizations, than previous variants. Still, the W.H.O. warned that Delta and Omicron may still produce a “tsunami” of infections that could overwhelm health care systems.

Not so fast. The C.D.C. reported yesterday that Omicron cases made up a significantly lower percentage of the overall U.S. caseload than was expected, at roughly 59 percent. For the week ending Dec. 18, the agency revised down its estimate of 73 percent to about 23 percent. That means that Delta remained dominant until last week, driving some of the recent surge — and a sizable number of patients remain infected with the deadlier variant.

Edited by FTOF

Sadly as predicted, that is the number of hospital patients "with" and more importantly "for" Covid starting to rise considerably in England. With the explosion in Omicron cases coming largely in the last fortnight (and still going), we will now likely see this filter through to the rest of the UK and the full extent of the Omicron wave.

A less severe strain - yes that seems the case but far more cases on our shores is going to see hospitalisations continue to rise, unfortunately as has been shown during this pandemic multiple times, deaths will seemingly follow.

I imagine most have gathered this by now but we know it certainly isn't everyone on BAWA. 

In addition, interesting commentary from Immunologist, Professor Peter Openshaw who has said people dying from Covid were likely to be first infected on average 35 days before. This means it will still be a wee bit of time before we see these impacts with Omicron and also highlights the 28 day reporting stats likely misses more Covid related deaths than counts coincidental only deaths.

In saying that, the 28 days will still capture most deaths when we include incubation periods and time-lag to record a positive test.

https://www.gbnews.uk/news/covid-long-term-consequences-worrying-for-the-unvaccinated-warns-scientist/194873 

image.png.00f673ca525f64b245d668ac659cb088.png

As I've said, ONLY posts when he scours the internet for bad news, deciding to use ENGLAND to fuel his frenzy. 

Interesting :thumbsdown, he says, that another professor says., contradictory to the World Health Organisation who said the average time was much shorter, there is a 35 day gap between catching covid and death, further supporting his desire for this variant to be as bad as he hopes. 

Meanwhile in South Africa, where this latest variant has been on the go for over 6 weeks the FACTS show the proportion of deaths to cases is miniscule, currently sitting at an average of 57, with cases having dropped for the last 2 weeks. 

Here in Scotland, as reported yesterday, numbers in hospital have risen to the SAME levels back in mid November, with ICU numbers been level for 2 weeks.

Deaths are also averaging 5, half what they were over 3 weeks ago.

Most of us, Bazil apart, hope these numbers don't increase and we can all get back to living a normal life. 

South Africa, where the omicron variant was detected in November, announced that the country's latest coronavirus wave had likely passed its peak without a significant increase in deaths and that restrictions would be eased.

The highly contagious omicron variant, which contains a number of mutations, has fuelled an end-of-year global pandemic resurgence. But mounting evidence, including in South Africa, has given rise to hopes it may be less severe than other strains.

"All indicators suggest the country may have passed the peak of the fourth wave," the South African presidency said in a statement that announced the end of the nightly curfew.

Infections dropped by almost 30 percent last week compared to the preceding seven days, according to the presidency, while hospital admissions also declined in eight of the nine provinces.

During the spike, only a marginal increase in Covid-19 deaths was noted, it added.

"While the omicron variant is highly transmissible, there has been lower rates of hospitalisation than in previous waves," the statement said.

"This means that the country has a spare capacity for admission of patients even for routine health services."

For some perspective there are currently 776 people in Scotland in hospital with Covid related illness.

That's .0001% of the population.

Average of 5 deaths, sad as they are for the families/friends involved, is minuscule. (Too many zero's for my calculator to show)

These numbers, even if they are set to increase, don't, IMO, reflect a need to send the economy into another decline along with the anxiety this brings to millions of people.

36 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

As I've said, ONLY posts when he scours the internet for bad news, deciding to use ENGLAND to fuel his frenzy. 

Interesting :thumbsdown, he says, that another professor says., contradictory to the World Health Organisation who said the average time was much shorter, there is a 35 day gap between catching covid and death, further supporting his desire for this variant to be as bad as he hopes. 

Meanwhile in South Africa, where this latest variant has been on the go for over 6 weeks the FACTS show the proportion of deaths to cases is miniscule, currently sitting at an average of 57, with cases having dropped for the last 2 weeks. 

Here in Scotland, as reported yesterday, numbers in hospital have risen to the SAME levels back in mid November, with ICU numbers been level for 2 weeks.

Deaths are also averaging 5, half what they were over 3 weeks ago.

Most of us, Bazil apart, hope these numbers don't increase and we can all get back to living a normal life. 

You've jumped the gun, data is now starting to show that as I predicted. Source for WHO saying it is "much shorter" as well? 

Instead of just putting your hands up you lash out at how I choose to use BAWA and keep with your pathetic party line that I want more deaths just because I am looking at what has happened before, you're truly an embarrassment to yourself.

"Post 52,000+ times in 15 years or you are not using the site properly" :whistle

Edited by bazil85

16 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

You've jumped the gun, data is now starting to show that as I predicted. Source for WHO saying it is "much shorter" as well? 

:whistle

Deleted the rest of your tired irrelevant drivel.

Posted this previously, as usual you CHOOSE to ignore.

PS From personal experience I know that many cases take nowhere NEAR 35 days from onset to death. 

On 12/17/2021 at 6:20 PM, faraway saint said:

You're the one who regularly runs around shouting about being "needy", even when I haven't directed any post at you, aye, needy right enough.

Even sinking as low as "buddying up" with my troll this week, that's sad. (You do know that's Shull, or maybe you don't) 

Hospitalisations and deaths certainly DO follow within a 6 week period, how do you not know this yet? 

Time between a symptom onset and hospitalisation

Time from developing symptoms and being admitted to hospital varies, with age having the largest impact on the length of the delay. Median times from symptom onset to hospitalisation vary between 1 and 6.7 days depending on age and whether or not the patient lives in a nursing home4.

In people aged under 20 years, delay is the shortest, with a median of just 1 day (more than 2.6 days for a quarter of patients) compared with 4 days for people aged 20 to 60 years and 60 to 80 years (more than 6.7 days for a quarter of patients), and 1.6 days for those aged 80 years and over (more than 4.3 days for a quarter of patients)4.

Median time from symptom onset to admission to an Intensive Care Unit (ICU) is estimated to be between 6 and 10.5 days in different studies5,6,7.

Time between symptom onset and/or hospitalisation and death

Median time between symptom onset and death differs between studies and was estimated as 16 or 19 days6,9. Similarly, reported median times between ICU admission and death varied across studies and were estimated as 7 or 12.5 days

Oh, you've been touting this "40%" rise over a 2 day period, that's absolutely misleading, and fits the bill of your outlook.

You continually ignore the vaccination rate in the UK compared to South Africa, which logically would see less hospitalisation and deaths than South Africa, which has been VERY low. 

Jumped the gun, well, I'm quite prepared to make a decision that doesn't follow every word that the government tell me, or St Mirren football club for that natter, unlike you. 🐑

Edited by faraway saint

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

Deleted the rest of your tired irrelevant drivel.

Posted this previously, as usual you CHOOSE to ignore.

The 35 days is catching Covid to death, not symptoms to death. So where have the WHO went on record regarding the overarching times from first catching the virus to sadly dying? You've completely ignored incubation periods. 

You're sharing part of the picture as fact, I suppose it is an improvement from completely making up stuff about me to cover your bitterness at the data once again seemingly showing you as wrong. You're pathetic for even suggesting my view means I want people to die, you should be utterly ashamed at yourself.