Coronavirus

faraway saint

Bleak reading that England intend to "ride out" this Covid wave, sadly it is looking like much of the damage has already been done as hospitalisations continue to rise and signs the Omicron variant is becoming more pronounced in vulnerable groups. As already mentioned, the next week or so will be very telling for the UK. It will then be a further few weeks before we really see the impacts of massive case numbers over the festive period. It's now very much a case of watch this space and see the damage inaction has/ has not done. 

On a more positive note, as data filters through from Scotland, it seems restrictions have had some impact on limiting spread with the situation seemingly better than England after Omicron spreading faster up here in the earlier stages of the wave in December. Big call today on reducing the self-isolation period to seven days or sticking with 10. When you add in some of the data on inconsistencies with Lateral flow, I don't know if I would support reducing the term but we'll see what is decided. 

On another note, this commentary makes interesting reading. It shows that the death toll for "suspected Covid-19 deaths" is indeed very likely larger than what the 28 days catch. Certainly accounts (and more) for coincidental deaths in the Covid figures which are thought to be around 10-12%. These figures show around an extra 25% of Covid suspected deaths are after the 28 day threshold/ where Covid has not been diagnosed. 

image.png.2760084f3e67bc7a3a65f5e0364284f1.png

Scotland lagging behind the UK/England again with the ever cautions approach, waiting on things getting worse when, in all likelihood, they wont. 

England also showing common sense in removing the pointless tests before returning back into the country, along with self isolation. 

Meanwhile in Scotland cases slowing down, similar to South Africa a few weeks ago.

Deaths, despite us being 5 weeks with omicron showing up here, still averaging 5. 

Overall hospitalisations continue to increase, with ICU staying steady over the last 30 days. 

As some anecdote 3 guys in my work have the new variant, one came in today staying outside, and was really angry he had to stay off work, losing money, when he felt next to 100%. 

Much "easier" for those having the luxury of getting paid when they isolate, mostly needlessly. 

At least the isolation period has been reduced. 

Scotland lagging behind the UK/England again with the ever cautions approach, waiting on things getting worse when, in all likelihood, they wont. 
England also showing common sense in removing the pointless tests before returning back into the country, along with self isolation. 
Meanwhile in Scotland cases slowing down, similar to South Africa a few weeks ago.
Deaths, despite us being 5 weeks with omicron showing up here, still averaging 5. 
Overall hospitalisations continue to increase, with ICU staying steady over the last 30 days. 
As some anecdote 3 guys in my work have the new variant, one came in today staying outside, and was really angry he had to stay off work, losing money, when he felt next to 100%. 
Much "easier" for those having the luxury of getting paid when they isolate, mostly needlessly. 
At least the isolation period has been reduced. 

So one of your work colleagues has Covid and not isolating, but putting others lives in danger and it looks like you're looking for sympathy for him.

Not from me, not a f'in chance.

1 hour ago, Cookie Monster said:

So one of your work colleagues has Covid and not isolating, but putting others lives in danger and it looks like you're looking for sympathy for him.

Not from me, not a f'in chance.

Of course, there should be a system where anyone needing to isolate gets paid in full. The fact there isn't means some people have to make choices between paying the bills or not potentially spreading the virus. 

I do think there is a tendency to use exaggerated language in reaction to all things covid, which stems from the media. "Putting others lives in danger" - he didn't walk in with a gun and start shooting.

Newspaper report today said...

The official three symptoms of Covid according to the NHS are a new and continuous cough, a fever and a loss of taste and smell.

However, with Omicron, many people don’t experience any of those three symptoms at all.

Many people who have had covid, including those studying the variant, have compared omicron's symptoms to a common cold. But now experts have released their official symptom list for the latest variant.

The eight early warning symptoms of Omicron according to data from the UK, US and South Africa are:

Scratchy throat
Lower back pain
Runny nose/congestion
Headache
Fatigue
Sneezing
Night sweats
Body aches

These symptoms may appear as early as two days after being exposed to someone who has omicron.

However, symptoms can take longer to appear, even up to 14 days after exposure, which is why if you've been exposed to the virus, you should either continue to test regularly (every day) or self-isolate for (up to) 10 days.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

The official three symptoms of Covid according to the NHS are a new and continuous cough, a fever and a loss of taste and smell.

However, with Omicron, many people don’t experience any of those three symptoms at all.

Many people who have had covid, including those studying the variant, have compared omicron's symptoms to a common cold. But now experts have released their official symptom list for the latest variant.

The eight early warning symptoms of Omicron according to data from the UK, US and South Africa are:

Scratchy throat
Lower back pain
Runny nose/congestion
Headache
Fatigue
Sneezing
Night sweats
Body aches

These symptoms may appear as early as two days after being exposed to someone who has omicron.

However, symptoms can take longer to appear, even up to 14 days after exposure, which is why if you've been exposed to the virus, you should either continue to test regularly (every day) or self-isolate for (up to) 10 days.

BinEK, I'm generally a fit and healthy guy who very rarely gets unwell never mind ill. I tested positive for Covid on Boxing Day and am still testing positive, on LFT, today. I don't know whether I have the Omicron Variant (I suspect I have) or another strain but I recognise every one of the symptoms you've listed. My wife tested positive on Christmas Day but got through it pretty quickly, I on the other hand have had a fairly rough time of it with the Back Pain, Body-aches and Night Sweats being the worst of it. Although not needing hospital treatment I don't ever remember having anything that has made me feel this unwell, I am fully vaccinated and can only imagine how bad it would be if I hadn't been.

My whole attitude to Covid has been that I have stuck to whatever guidance/law we were given in the hope that I wouldn't catch Covid but more so that I wouldn't be responsible for giving it to anyone less able to cope with or fight the virus, my belief in that has only been reinforced by my experience of it.

Anyone who has Covid and knowingly takes it out into the community needs their balls kicked.

21 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

BinEK, I'm generally a fit and healthy guy who very rarely gets unwell never mind ill. I tested positive for Covid on Boxing Day and am still testing positive, on LFT, today. I don't know whether I have the Omicron Variant (I suspect I have) or another strain but I recognise every one of the symptoms you've listed. My wife tested positive on Christmas Day but got through it pretty quickly, I on the other hand have had a fairly rough time of it with the Back Pain, Body-aches and Night Sweats being the worst of it. Although not needing hospital treatment I don't ever remember having anything that has made me feel this unwell, I am fully vaccinated and can only imagine how bad it would be if I hadn't been.

My whole attitude to Covid has been that I have stuck to whatever guidance/law we were given in the hope that I wouldn't catch Covid but more so that I wouldn't be responsible for giving it to anyone less able to cope with or fight the virus, my belief in that has only been reinforced by my experience of it.

Anyone who has Covid and knowingly takes it out into the community needs their balls kicked.

Are you suggesting that we annually close down society for the flu? 

I don't recall people having the flu having to isolate and having their balls kicked for getting themselves back to work as soon as they felt fit enough. 

I don't recall people having the flu having to isolate and having their balls kicked for getting themselves back to work as soon as they felt fit enough. 
There should be a mandatory two weeks off work, on full pay, for anyone who has to clear their throat at any time of the year. You know it makes sense.

25 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

Hope you're better soon.

Couple of points though - you make two assumptions which are part of the mainstream narrative. The "it would have been a lot worse if I hadn't been vaccinated" line has been used a lot - how do you know? It is perhaps more likely that some people are more susceptible to reacting badly to the virus - you were one or the unlucky ones. 

Also, this idea that the guidance stops the spread - I like you have followed the guidance mostly (apart from when it doesn't make any sense like wearing masks in open air places like school playgrounds). However, we recently had over 20,000 cases in Scotland, 1 in 20 have it, many people are asymptomatic so don't even know - the idea of people being made to feel guilty in case anyone else catches it should be put in the bin. 

Next, we'll be parading "covid spreaders" through the streets like in China.

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

Don't be ridiculous, society currently isn't shut down. Sure, it has some restrictions but all the rule-makers (Scientists/Politicians etc) are advocating is that people self-isolate until they know they are free from the virus........we still don't know enough about the current strain and it's transmissibility for folk to be back out on the streets "willy-nilly" while they're still carrying the virus. I have felt much better the last few days but know that I still have the virus in my system and the thought of giving that to someone who can't cope with or fight the virus is horrifying.

We now know much more about the flu (it wasn't always the case) and have a system in place that protects the vast majority of vulnerable people annually, when we are at that stage with Covid life will be a better place.

1 minute ago, Hendo said:

Hope you're better soon.

Couple of points though - you make two assumptions which are part of the mainstream narrative. The "it would have been a lot worse if I hadn't been vaccinated" line has been used a lot - how do you know? It is perhaps more likely that some people are more susceptible to reacting badly to the virus - you were one or the unlucky ones. 

Also, this idea that the guidance stops the spread - I like you have followed the guidance mostly (apart from when it doesn't make any sense like wearing masks in open air places like school playgrounds). However, we recently had over 20,000 cases in Scotland, 1 in 20 have it, many people are asymptomatic so don't even know - the idea of people being made to feel guilty in case anyone else catches it should be put in the bin. 

Next, we'll be parading "covid spreaders" through the streets like in China.

Hendo, I'm no zealot and believe that people should be able to chose whether they vaccinate or not. That said I do think there should be restrictions on their options to mix socially and in the workplace in certain situations.

I know two unvaccinated people who have recently caught the virus on an island off the west coast (where I'm originally from) where the incidence of Covid is fairly low....they are both pretty unwell and seem to have it far worse than me.....anecdotal maybe but there you are. Vaccinations, for the most part, don't eradicate virus's but certainly limit spread and in most cases (flu for example) limit the damage of the illness attached. This is pretty similar in my view.

I don't think we should be parading anyone for anything and people will inadvertently carry and transmit Covid without knowing they have it or have passed it on. That is very different from someone, knowing they are positive, taking the virus out into the community

6 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

Scratchy throat
Lower back pain
Runny nose/congestion
Headache
Fatigue
Sneezing
Night sweats
Body aches

They will soon run out of symptoms at this rate ( or seasonally adjustable )

Edited by alanb

2 minutes ago, alanb said:

They will soon run out of symptoms at this rate

A major symptom I have seen throughout this pandemic is people with no educational background in viruses or pandemics suddenly getting far more knowledgeable about the topic, than highly educated, very intelligent, epidemiologists... 

4 minutes ago, HSS said:

Wee Bud,is it not the case that you shouldn’t use an LFT for 90 days after testing positive?

That’s exactly what my son said when I spoke to him last night.
He’s Three days clear of covid isolation,  due to return to work today and his employers have given him this info. 

13 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

That’s exactly what my son said when I spoke to him last night.
He’s Three days clear of covid isolation,  due to return to work today and his employers have given him this info. 

I phoned up the NHS Helpline and they said no PCR for 90 days but should still have two negative LFT's to release from self-isolation (that may have changed with yesterday's announcements of course).

Wee Bud,is it not the case that you shouldn’t use an LFT for 90 days after testing positive?
Originally we were told than as antigens could remain in the body for up to 90 days, NOT to do a Lateral Flow Test during that period but to check temperature and for other symptoms daily.

That has totally changed now, especially with the latest "advice"!