Coronavirus

faraway saint

2 hours ago, WeeBud said:

Don't be ridiculous, society currently isn't shut down. Sure, it has some restrictions but all the rule-makers (Scientists/Politicians etc) are advocating is that people self-isolate until they know they are free from the virus........we still don't know enough about the current strain and it's transmissibility for folk to be back out on the streets "willy-nilly" while they're still carrying the virus. I have felt much better the last few days but know that I still have the virus in my system and the thought of giving that to someone who can't cope with or fight the virus is horrifying.

We now know much more about the flu (it wasn't always the case) and have a system in place that protects the vast majority of vulnerable people annually, when we are at that stage with Covid life will be a better place.

Ok, shut down possibly the wrong term but damaging services and businesses for the flu? 

We're in a completely different place from the last 18 months or so, but there has been so much scaremongering from the media, so called experts, and conflicting advice the public are now anxious about symptoms that are very flu like.

We are as close to dealing with Covid as we are with the flu, the boosters will no doubt be tweaked every year but as has been said recently we will have to live with this. 

5 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Ok, shut down possibly the wrong term but damaging services and businesses for the flu? 

We're in a completely different place from the last 18 months or so, but there has been so much scaremongering from the media, so called experts, and conflicting advice the public are now anxious about symptoms that are very flu like.

We are as close to dealing with Covid as we are with the flu, the boosters will no doubt be tweaked every year but as has been said recently we will have to live with this. 

I agree with most of that

2 hours ago, WeeBud said:

BinEK, I'm generally a fit and healthy guy who very rarely gets unwell never mind ill. I tested positive for Covid on Boxing Day and am still testing positive, on LFT, today. I don't know whether I have the Omicron Variant (I suspect I have) or another strain but I recognise every one of the symptoms you've listed. My wife tested positive on Christmas Day but got through it pretty quickly, I on the other hand have had a fairly rough time of it with the Back Pain, Body-aches and Night Sweats being the worst of it. Although not needing hospital treatment I don't ever remember having anything that has made me feel this unwell, I am fully vaccinated and can only imagine how bad it would be if I hadn't been.

My whole attitude to Covid has been that I have stuck to whatever guidance/law we were given in the hope that I wouldn't catch Covid but more so that I wouldn't be responsible for giving it to anyone less able to cope with or fight the virus, my belief in that has only been reinforced by my experience of it.

Anyone who has Covid and knowingly takes it out into the community needs their balls kicked.

I'm into my 8th day of Covid, Like yourself I'm a reasonably fit guy for my age 60+  I keep fit by playing football twice a week 

I had all my jags but I had resigned myself that sooner or later I would catch this through my job, 

I had 2 rough days and there's no doubt in my mind the vaccine really helped me fight this virus, as it's not not the first time I've had a nasty virus,,  as for symptoms i had them all mentioned except losing taste and smell...  Omicron no doubt 

Get vaccinated if you haven't already 

2 hours ago, bazil85 said:

A major symptom I have seen throughout this pandemic is people with no educational background in viruses or pandemics suddenly getting far more knowledgeable about the topic, than highly educated, very intelligent, epidemiologists... 

Totally agree…

but enough about you 😉

( meant to be tongue in cheek like previous post)

This sounds familiar .............................although it's from a report from 2 years ago in Scotland.

The outbreak has placed enormous pressure on hospitals, with several forced to close to all but emergency cases.

Last week all intensive care beds in Scotland were occupied and emergency admissions to hospital hit record levels, with rates in the Edinburgh area 50%higher than normal for this time of year.

The Scottish health minister, Susan Deacon, said that the NHS was experiencing exceptional pressures but the system was coping due to the dedication of staff and forward planning.

Cases down for the 4th day in a row in Scotland but, more importantly, and sadly, deaths jump up quite a bit.
Hospital numbers continue to rise, about a week now, although, a good sign, ICU staying level.
Hopefully the vaccine/booster doing it's job. 

I do prefer the 7 day average figures, it does in my view gives a clearer picture of what's happening especially when numbers are delayed due to backlogs/holidays/weekends. [emoji106]

Looking at the U.K. cases by nation by specimen date, it’s looking like the peak occurred on 29th December for all 4 home nations.

The peak last winter also occurred on 29th December in all 4 home nations.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk

The peak of actual infections in therefore likely to have occurred shortly after the winter solstice.

What a surprise….

Whoever wishes to investigate medicine properly should proceed thus: in the first place to consider the seasons of the year … 

Hippocrates

1 hour ago, Sue Denim said:

Looking at the U.K. cases by nation by specimen date, it’s looking like the peak occurred on 29th December for all 4 home nations.

The peak last winter also occurred on 29th December in all 4 home nations.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk

The peak of actual infections in therefore likely to have occurred shortly after the winter solstice.

What a surprise….

Whoever wishes to investigate medicine properly should proceed thus: in the first place to consider the seasons of the year … 

Hippocrates

There was me thinking the pandemic was ‘over’ by summer 2020 after reading your posts. :whistle

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Cases certainly look to be leveling off, and, good news, NEW admissions to hospital and ICU dropping and staying level, respectively. 

Are we seeing the end of the current winter flu epidemic, I hope so. 

Not yet, the 300-6000 deaths per day that we’re modelled haven’t started yet. 

8 hours ago, antrin said:

I agree.

In South Africa the peak in Omicron deaths followed on, over a week past the peak for infections.

No they didn't.

The PEAK in infections/cases was 18th December.

The deaths are still rising, 3 weeks AFTER this date.

PS It should be noted the numbers, averaging just over 150, are still very low in a country with a low rate of vaccination. 

Edited by faraway saint