Coronavirus

faraway saint

8 hours ago, antrin said:

Here’s an intelligent, scientific, medical person’s report on the current status of this pandemic. Professor Christina Pagel.

She has been collating, analysing and presenting this data for Indie Sage, on YouTube, most Fridays since that got going.  Very clear and knowledgeable.  She is far from optimistic.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/mar/30/uk-near-record-covid-cases-three-myths-omicron-pandemic

If you have a short attention span, then please don’t waste your precious time on this.  There are emoticons to post and “likes” to be chased…

ignore the data.   Go on, knock yourself out.  Please.

Excellent and well reasoned article. If you have the attention span of a gnat then you are one, unlikely to read it and two, unlikely to understand it. Who comes to mind? I wonder.

12 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Dearie me, thanks for recognising me as the forum fool, confirming that I don’t have an original thought in my head. :lol:

But we know that. Don’t fret. What you lack in quality you sure make up for in quantity.

Interesting point of view..............The Year the World Went Mad, by Mark Woolhouse

Mark Woolhouse is one of Scotland’s leading epidemiologists. Professor of Infectious Disease Epidemiology at Edinburgh University, he is a member of the Scottish Government’s Covid-19 advisory group and SPI-M, a subcommittee of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies which advises the UK Government. His “scientific memoir”, The Year the World Went Mad, is the latest in a series of insider accounts of the Covid-19 pandemic, giving readers behind the scenes insights into some of the decisions, advice and concerns of scientists during the early months of the crisis.

Criticism of the way the pandemic was handled is a very crowded field, but Prof Woolhouse’s book stands out. Instead of the usual complaints that governments simply acted too slowly or too recklessly, he argues that decision-makers (and everyone else) “went mad”, and that lockdown, that tool to suppress Covid-19 which defined our lives for over a year, was a mistake.

It is hard to read a book arguing that some of the greatest sacrifices made in 2020 and 2021 were for nothing. Woolhouse puts forward a compelling case against lockdown, however, wondering if the harsh measure may have caused more harm, in terms of economic, social and wider health impacts, than Covid-19 itself. While some form of lockdown was probably inevitable, he argues it dragged on for too long, should not have been used beyond the initial stages of the pandemic, and that the closure of schools had little benefit. Key findings were not taken on board as science learned more about the virus, including that Covid very rarely seriously affects young, healthy people, and that transmission outdoors is unlikely. Instead of the “lazy” solution of blanket lockdowns, he suggests, Scotland should have focussed on protecting the most vulnerable and those who regularly came into contact with them.

It is very easy now to ask why Woolhouse did not make his case a little more loudly while these decisions were being made, rather than in a scathing memoir written with the benefit of hindsight. But he gives examples of repeatedly having put forward these views as early as 2020 and being ignored by politicians, and even other scientists. In some cases he was plagued by hate mail from members of the public, a sadly not uncommon experience for scientists during the pandemic.

While the book reads a little like a retrospective vindication of his own arguments, Woolhouse maintains that his aim is to prevent similar mistakes in future by making “lockdown sceptics” of us all. His point is convincingly made, and in many cases he will likely succeed. The Year the World Went Mad is a compelling read, comprehensively laying out the case against lockdowns alongside clear explanations of basic epidemiological concepts, and fresh insights from the front line of scientific advice during the pandemic.

25 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Interesting point of view..............The Year the World Went Mad, by Mark Woolhouse

Mark Woolhouse is one of Scotland’s leading epidemiologists. Professor of Infectious Disease Epidemiology at Edinburgh University, he is a member of the Scottish Government’s Covid-19 advisory group and SPI-M, a subcommittee of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies which advises the UK Government. His “scientific memoir”, The Year the World Went Mad, is the latest in a series of insider accounts of the Covid-19 pandemic, giving readers behind the scenes insights into some of the decisions, advice and concerns of scientists during the early months of the crisis.

Criticism of the way the pandemic was handled is a very crowded field, but Prof Woolhouse’s book stands out. Instead of the usual complaints that governments simply acted too slowly or too recklessly, he argues that decision-makers (and everyone else) “went mad”, and that lockdown, that tool to suppress Covid-19 which defined our lives for over a year, was a mistake.

It is hard to read a book arguing that some of the greatest sacrifices made in 2020 and 2021 were for nothing. Woolhouse puts forward a compelling case against lockdown, however, wondering if the harsh measure may have caused more harm, in terms of economic, social and wider health impacts, than Covid-19 itself. While some form of lockdown was probably inevitable, he argues it dragged on for too long, should not have been used beyond the initial stages of the pandemic, and that the closure of schools had little benefit. Key findings were not taken on board as science learned more about the virus, including that Covid very rarely seriously affects young, healthy people, and that transmission outdoors is unlikely. Instead of the “lazy” solution of blanket lockdowns, he suggests, Scotland should have focussed on protecting the most vulnerable and those who regularly came into contact with them.

It is very easy now to ask why Woolhouse did not make his case a little more loudly while these decisions were being made, rather than in a scathing memoir written with the benefit of hindsight. But he gives examples of repeatedly having put forward these views as early as 2020 and being ignored by politicians, and even other scientists. In some cases he was plagued by hate mail from members of the public, a sadly not uncommon experience for scientists during the pandemic.

While the book reads a little like a retrospective vindication of his own arguments, Woolhouse maintains that his aim is to prevent similar mistakes in future by making “lockdown sceptics” of us all. His point is convincingly made, and in many cases he will likely succeed. The Year the World Went Mad is a compelling read, comprehensively laying out the case against lockdowns alongside clear explanations of basic epidemiological concepts, and fresh insights from the front line of scientific advice during the pandemic.

Always one

A shortened summary for the hard of thinking, especially from Stirling. :lol:

In January 2020, leading epidemiologist Professor Mark Woolhouse learned of a new virus taking hold in China. He immediately foresaw a hard road ahead for the entire world, and emailed the Chief Medical Officer of Scotland warning that the UK should urgently begin preparations. A few days later he received a polite reply stating only that everything was under control. In this astonishing account, Mark Woolhouse shares his story as an insider, having served on advisory groups to both the Scottish and UK governments. He reveals the disregarded advice, frustration of dealing with politicians, and the missteps that led to the deaths of vulnerable people, damage to livelihoods and the disruption of education. He explains the follies of lockdown and sets out the alternatives. Finally, he warns that when the next pandemic comes, we must not dither and we must not panic; never again should we make a global crisis even worse. The Year the World Went Mad puts our recent, devastating, history in a completely new light.

10 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

A shortened summary for the hard of thinking, especially from Stirling. :lol:

In January 2020, leading epidemiologist Professor Mark Woolhouse learned of a new virus taking hold in China. He immediately foresaw a hard road ahead for the entire world, and emailed the Chief Medical Officer of Scotland warning that the UK should urgently begin preparations. A few days later he received a polite reply stating only that everything was under control. In this astonishing account, Mark Woolhouse shares his story as an insider, having served on advisory groups to both the Scottish and UK governments. He reveals the disregarded advice, frustration of dealing with politicians, and the missteps that led to the deaths of vulnerable people, damage to livelihoods and the disruption of education. He explains the follies of lockdown and sets out the alternatives. Finally, he warns that when the next pandemic comes, we must not dither and we must not panic; never again should we make a global crisis even worse. The Year the World Went Mad puts our recent, devastating, history in a completely new light.

Oh dear. The Second Last Sentence is absolutely correct. The rest is typical. “I knew better” The basic idea is sound as far as it goes. 

Edited by Rascal

Just watching an item about the amount of plastic used in testing kits.

Add in masks and we've got a massive amount of stuff that's not immediately recyclable :rolleyes:.

However some inventive companies are using these kits to turn them into usable products.

Unfortunately many kits were just tossed into landfill. 

Just watching an item about the amount of plastic used in testing kits.
Add in masks and we've got a massive amount of stuff that's not immediately recyclable :rolleyes:.
However some inventive companies are using these kits to turn them into usable products.
Unfortunately many kits were just tossed into landfill. 
OMFG.... It had to eventually happen...

You make a good point that I agree with.

Just after COPout26, my test kits changed from a box of 25 to boxes of 7 with infinitely more disposable plastic!

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

OMFG.... It had to eventually happen...

You make a good point that I agree with.

Just after COPout26, my test kits changed from a box of 25 to boxes of 7 with infinitely more disposable plastic!

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Amazingly, you and I are in agreement with FS. Didn’t think the Green Agenda featured but there you go. More power to his elbow in putting forward a positive thought. I look forward to more of these from him. Is this a new Dawn for the forum?

Just been down at the garage filling the car up with petrol. (tears at the cost)

While I'm looking forward to the mask burning day it seems, as I've been saying for ages, the majority of people have already binned theirs.

2, including my good self, from 9 customers can read the sign at the door.

Still fecking annoys me. :thumbsdown

15 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Just been down at the garage filling the car up with petrol. (tears at the cost)

While I'm looking forward to the mask burning day it seems, as I've been saying for ages, the majority of people have already binned theirs.

2, including my good self, from 9 customers can read the sign at the door.

Still fecking annoys me. :thumbsdown

I was In Braehead earlier to avoid the Bigot Bash , me & the better half commented on the fact that most people were still wearing masks .Obviously difficult to say precisely but I’d estimate 75% + wearing masks .

I flew up n down to London last week , Stansted airport was probably 90% no mask but virtually 100% compliant on the aircraft . 
We’re off to the States this weekend and BA have emailed to say No mask - no fly . ( unless exempt ) 

it’s a real mixed bag , have to say I would love to see the end of the bloody things but while seeing customers in London area last week ,my default was always to wear one when going into calls, and many of my customer still had masks ,screens and social distance measures .

56 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

I was In Braehead earlier to avoid the Bigot Bash , me & the better half commented on the fact that most people were still wearing masks .Obviously difficult to say precisely but I’d estimate 75% + wearing masks .

I flew up n down to London last week , Stansted airport was probably 90% no mask but virtually 100% compliant on the aircraft . 
We’re off to the States this weekend and BA have emailed to say No mask - no fly . ( unless exempt ) 

it’s a real mixed bag , have to say I would love to see the end of the bloody things but while seeing customers in London area last week ,my default was always to wear one when going into calls, and many of my customer still had masks ,screens and social distance measures .

Still wearing a mask. Don’t find it inconvenient in any way. Such a small thing to do and so easy.

18 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

CG, I just got back from Arizona and flew BA........on Glasgow to London Flight they announced that you could, should you wish, remove your mask as England was a "non-enforcement" country (I only saw one person take theirs off). Had to wear masks between Heathrow and Phoenix (both directions) and from Heathrow to Glasgow. I'd suggest that less than 20% wore masks in Heathrow Terminal 5 although we did.

1 hour ago, WeeBud said:

CG, I just got back from Arizona and flew BA........on Glasgow to London Flight they announced that you could, should you wish, remove your mask as England was a "non-enforcement" country (I only saw one person take theirs off). Had to wear masks between Heathrow and Phoenix (both directions) and from Heathrow to Glasgow. I'd suggest that less than 20% wore masks in Heathrow Terminal 5 although we did.

Good to know 👍.  

Resigned to having to wear the mask LHR to Vegas , apart from when eating & drinking !   hmmm 🤔 🍸🍸🍸

Interesting the different approach Gla - Lon between BA & EasyJet  😷 

The USA are meant to be relaxing the rules on 18th April , we’ll see . 

Had a similar experience to @WeeBud going to and from San Francisco, LHR to NCL no mention of not wearing masks but vast majority did, in fairness to the crews on the US flights they weren't vigorously enforcing the masks between food and drink services but there was pretty much universal compliance. Hope the US ease off for you.

2 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Good to know 👍.  

Resigned to having to wear the mask LHR to Vegas , apart from when eating & drinking !   hmmm 🤔 🍸🍸🍸

Interesting the different approach Gla - Lon between BA & EasyJet  😷 

The USA are meant to be relaxing the rules on 18th April , we’ll see . 

Recently, flying to Tenerife it was reinforced on the flight, and everyone complied, the eating/drinking rule apart.

I was not looking forward to four and a half hours wearing the damn things but it wasn't as annoying as I had envisaged. 

The different rules for different  countries/airlines will disappear soon IMO and it'll be down to the individual, which is fine, but it won't be me.

Back to normal, which most people already are anyway. 

6 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Recently, flying to Tenerife it was reinforced on the flight, and everyone complied, the eating/drinking rule apart.

I was not looking forward to four and a half hours wearing the damn things but it wasn't as annoying as I had envisaged. 

The different rules for different  countries/airlines will disappear soon IMO and it'll be down to the individual, which is fine, but it won't be me.

Back to normal, which most people already are anyway. 

We were 10 hours one way and 9 on the way back.....mask wasn't a problem and eating/drinking gave you a wee break. The craziest part was the train from Terminal 5 A Gates - C Gates, they were absolutely rammed with the vast majority of people not wearing masks and then everyone on the aircraft (with far better ventilation etc) fully masked up.

11 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

We were 10 hours one way and 9 on the way back.....mask wasn't a problem and eating/drinking gave you a wee break. The craziest part was the train from Terminal 5 A Gates - C Gates, they were absolutely rammed with the vast majority of people not wearing masks and then everyone on the aircraft (with far better ventilation etc) fully masked up.

Aye, when the messages are mixed it opens the door for confusion.

As I said, the sooner there are no rules, down to the individual, the better.

PS It looks like, with cases dropping fast, the 18th April date should be the end, with the Scottish government unlikely to reverse their decision. 

Edited by faraway saint