Coronavirus

faraway saint

Anecdotal, I know, but three more of the people I know have tested positive. One of whom I was with in a cafe in Airdrie with on Friday. Good news for me so far is that I have tested negative. Had it once and once was enough.

A reason the hospital numbers are still quite high?

NHS beds are being blocked by “well” patients, new figures show, with three quarters still on wards despite increasing Covid-19 pressures.

Of the 87,775 patients in ward beds as of April 5, around one in seven (16 per cent, 14,487) had Covid, the highest proportion since February 17.

But separate figures published on Thursday by NHS England show 71 per cent of patients deemed medically fit to leave remained stuck.

Only 5,178 of the 17,968 deemed medically fit on April 3 were discharged.

In response to increasing pressures, one NHS boss has asked families to help discharge their loved ones from hospital even if they’re still testing positive.

3 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

A reason the hospital numbers are still quite high?

NHS beds are being blocked by “well” patients, new figures show, with three quarters still on wards despite increasing Covid-19 pressures.

Of the 87,775 patients in ward beds as of April 5, around one in seven (16 per cent, 14,487) had Covid, the highest proportion since February 17.

But separate figures published on Thursday by NHS England show 71 per cent of patients deemed medically fit to leave remained stuck.

Only 5,178 of the 17,968 deemed medically fit on April 3 were discharged.

In response to increasing pressures, one NHS boss has asked families to help discharge their loved ones from hospital even if they’re still testing positive.

Bed blocking is news? Really. Integration of Health and Social Care problem that has been highlighted many times. A real issue, no doubt of that but given context by a Covid spin. 

Not long to wait for those who find the wearing of a face mask difficult ( why I don’t know). Discussion on the radio about having parts of theatres for mask wearers or shops having times when mask wearers only are allowed in.

I mask up to travel on the Tube.  And also in busy cinemas/theatres.  No law demanding it, but if there’s 1 in 10 (or similar) chances of someone infective nearby… if the place is poorly ventilated….  It is simply sensible to moderate my chances of being on the receiving end.

covid husnae gone away, will return, will mutate.  Currently, the NHS and other companies are ‘just’ coping.  There is always the possibility of a more severe strain arising.  :(

Learning to “live with it” is just another of this government’s ways of failing the public.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/apr/12/herd-immunity-covid-reinfection-virus-world

Edited by antrin

34 minutes ago, antrin said:

I mask up to travel on the Tube.  And also in busy cinemas/theatres.  No law demanding it, but if there’s 1 in 10 (or similar) chances of someone infective nearby… if the place is poorly ventilated….  It is simply sensible to moderate my chances of being on the receiving end.

covid husnae gone away, will return, will mutate.  Currently, the NHS and other companies are ‘just’ coping.  There is always the possibility of a more severe strain arising.  :(

Learning to “live with it” is just another of this government’s ways of failing the public.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/apr/12/herd-immunity-covid-reinfection-virus-world

Absolutely sensible approach IMO and I will be acting in the same way.

We attended a social event on Saturday night, no masks, either worn by the staff or guests.

Leaving we went through the pub, adjoining the function suite, choc a bloc, no masks.

Taking this into account it's surprising the cases, deaths, hospitalisations are ALL dropping. (ICU is up/down, staying level)

Mrs Farway was in Dundee today, hardly any masks, although most staff in shops are, rightly, continuing, until Monday at least. 

While the negative Normans keep going on about new variants here's some good news for the rest of us, a new vaccine that'll, hopefully, allow the majority of us to lead a normal life.

A new Covid vaccine has been approved for use in the UK by regulators.

It is manufactured by Valneva, using more traditional technology - similar to how polio and flu shots are made.

It contains a whole copy of the virus which has been inactivated, so that it can't cause the disease but does teach the body how to fight it.

The UK was due to receive 100 million doses of the jab, but the government cancelled the deal in September due to a "breach of obligations".

The French company strenuously denied the government's accusation.

Dr June Raine, chief executive of the UK's Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency, said the approval followed "a rigorous review of the safety, quality and effectiveness of this vaccine".

As with the AstraZeneca and Pfizer vaccines, it is designed to be given as two doses.

Professor Sir Munir Pirmohamed, from the Commission on Human Medicines - which led the review - said: "We have advised that the benefit risk balance is positive. The vaccine is approved for use in people aged 18 to 50 years, with the first and second doses to be taken at least 28 days apart."

The jab developed by Valneva, which has a factory in Livingston near Edinburgh, is the sixth Covid-19 vaccine to be granted an MHRA authorisation.

In trials, blood results from volunteers who received the jab had high levels of neutralising antibodies against the pandemic virus.

It outperformed the AstraZeneca vaccine on this measure in head-to-head tests.

Experts say it is possible that by using the whole virus - rather than just the spike protein - the vaccine may be more useful against future emerging variants of Covid.

On 4/16/2022 at 9:40 AM, faraway saint said:

While the negative Normans keep going on about new variants here's some good news for the rest of us, a new vaccine that'll, hopefully, allow the majority of us to lead a normal life.

A new Covid vaccine has been approved for use in the UK by regulators.

It is manufactured by Valneva, using more traditional technology - similar to how polio and flu shots are made.

It contains a whole copy of the virus which has been inactivated, so that it can't cause the disease but does teach the body how to fight it.

The UK was due to receive 100 million doses of the jab, but the government cancelled the deal in September due to a "breach of obligations".

The French company strenuously denied the government's accusation.

Dr June Raine, chief executive of the UK's Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency, said the approval followed "a rigorous review of the safety, quality and effectiveness of this vaccine".

As with the AstraZeneca and Pfizer vaccines, it is designed to be given as two doses.

Professor Sir Munir Pirmohamed, from the Commission on Human Medicines - which led the review - said: "We have advised that the benefit risk balance is positive. The vaccine is approved for use in people aged 18 to 50 years, with the first and second doses to be taken at least 28 days apart."

The jab developed by Valneva, which has a factory in Livingston near Edinburgh, is the sixth Covid-19 vaccine to be granted an MHRA authorisation.

In trials, blood results from volunteers who received the jab had high levels of neutralising antibodies against the pandemic virus.

It outperformed the AstraZeneca vaccine on this measure in head-to-head tests.

Experts say it is possible that by using the whole virus - rather than just the spike protein - the vaccine may be more useful against future emerging variants of Covid.

Works a treat I was part of the trials 

Not had any symptoms of covid since 

weird freak GIF by Vintage 3D

9 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

You could always do that. Pay at Pump.emoji6.png

Or

How quaint, you still get someone to fill it for you. Do they clean the windscreen as well. emoji14.png

For some reason I rarely do the "pay at the pump", no idea why, I really should, can save some time if the place is busy. 

Maybe because I like to speak to people. :D