Coronavirus

faraway saint

4 hours ago, stlucifer said:

There are probably as many infected in Paisley at any given time but we're no longer testing.

Very possibly St L. The authorities there clearly take a different view to here and have done since the start (hence the post by FS at the start of the thread) including their willingness to take an economic hit.

On 8/30/2022 at 11:31 AM, Rascal said:

The roll out of the new round of vaccinations start in a few days time. A sensible and appropriate measure.

Out last night with friends who were long-term residents of Hong Kong.  They believe China’s lockdown policies are more a reflection of the govt’s concern about social unrest.  Cities being subjected to most repression are those whose inhabitants are most politicised and dissenting due to economic failures and its worsening outlook.

Also (anecdotal, I know) tales of nasal swabs being used and reused simply so that the data for people tested could look good( but not a healthy prospect).  Like we did in Scotland/UK, in the past - using the same needle for several jags… 

1 hour ago, antrin said:

Out last night with friends who were long-term residents of Hong Kong.  They believe China’s lockdown policies are more a reflection of the govt’s concern about social unrest.  Cities being subjected to most repression are those whose inhabitants are most politicised and dissenting due to economic failures and its worsening outlook.

Also (anecdotal, I know) tales of nasal swabs being used and reused simply so that the data for people tested could look good( but not a healthy prospect).  Like we did in Scotland/UK, in the past - using the same needle for several jags… 

Interesting to get other views Mr A. Ties in with comments from a friend who’s son has returned from working in Hong Kong over the past 5-10 years including COVID.

3 hours ago, Rascal said:

Interesting to get other views Mr A. Ties in with comments from a friend who’s son has returned from working in Hong Kong over the past 5-10 years including COVID.

Aye - another anecdotal/gossipy-perhaps comment was that another reason for continuing to implement full lockdowns is that their Chinese-developed vaccinations were nowhere near as efficacious as others that were developed, so there is not the same buildup of antibodies in the population as we now have.

They don’t want to admit having been incapable of giving their population the protection that other nations got.

So, if they didn’t lockdown the virus, unchecked it would run riot.

It's about saving face.

On 2/15/2020 at 9:53 AM, faraway saint said:

What a fuss about the flu, not a lot happening to see this warrant the amount of coverage and panic.

In March 2020 we started the first lockdown. Cases were rising quickly, hospital admissions and ICU numbers were rising quickly

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, antrin said:

If the government is neither testing nor accurately recording numbers, it’s more than likely ‘recorded cases’ will go down.

I think we discussed this before on this thread:

The ONS Survey is not based on individuals reporting that they have tested positive. It is done by ONS sending out tests to a sample of the population and doing a statistical analysis of the results to determine the level of infection.

It is explained here  Coronavirus (COVID-19) Infection Survey: methods and further information - Office for National Statistics

Hope that helps.......

3 minutes ago, ianmac said:

I think we discussed this before on this thread:

The ONS Survey is not based on individuals reporting that they have tested positive. It is done by ONS sending out tests to a sample of the population and doing a statistical analysis of the results to determine the level of infection.

It is explained here  Coronavirus (COVID-19) Infection Survey: methods and further information - Office for National Statistics

Hope that helps.......

We did.

I do know, thank you.

Not all scientists believe the data that method produces is sufficient to keep a grip on infections, spread and control.

Edited by antrin

Have been isolating since Sunday before a hip operation on Friday. Daily tests showing negative but one of my sons tested positive on Tuesday and the other doing daily tests as his business partner, with whom he works closely has tested positive. It’s still around.

I’ve been offered my 5th jag…. along with this winter’s flu jag.  
visiting sunny Scotland next week - first time since 2019 - so I’ll get jagged when I get back souf.

shame that there’s nae real fitba on while I’m up.    

And kinda torn about missing last Saturday’s match: even if I’d been up, I doubt that I’d share the terracing with either set of Old Scum’s fans.  So would I have even gone…?

23 minutes ago, antrin said:

I’ve been offered my 5th jag…. along with this winter’s flu jag.  
visiting sunny Scotland next week - first time since 2019 - so I’ll get jagged when I get back souf.

shame that there’s nae real fitba on while I’m up.    

And kinda torn about missing last Saturday’s match: even if I’d been up, I doubt that I’d share the terracing with either set of Old Scum’s fans.  So would I have even gone…?

Enjoy (my 5th is on 29 October). I missed the game and was strangely sanguine about it. 

Enjoy

Edited by Rascal

26 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

From next week, regular asymptomatic testing for health and social care workers stops. 

That's a bit of a strange one as I would have assumed that would still be a priority. In all honesty it's all a bit strange when you think of it really, not so long ago we couldn't do this, that or the next thing. Now especially where I work and who we are contracted to run full capacity buses being 77. Peak time these are full..............cab window wide open time. Known as the covid expresses by us

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

Can't be many places still insisting on compulsory wearing of masks now. 

Obviously

DOH. 

The need was publicly removed by the Scottish Government a while back. 

Care homes and hospitals were among the last remaining places.

Another needless post in the need to be heard.