Coronavirus

faraway saint

5 minutes ago, Dickson said:

Oh dear! Another St Mirren fan who isn't that hot on reading skills. 

You were the one who mentioned antibacterial cleansers.

And this extract from the Dettol website confirms that no Dettol products have been tested ag9inst COVID-19.

"Does Dettol kill the Coronavirus (COVID-19)?

2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) is a new strain of coronavirus.  It is not yet available for commercial testing. 

Specific Dettol products have demonstrated effectiveness (>99.9% inactivation) against coronavirus strains from the same family as the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) in third party laboratory testing, when used in accordance with the directions for use.  These products are: Dettol Antibacterial Surface Cleanser Spray, Dettol Antibacterial Surface Cleanser Wipes, Dettol All-In-One Disinfectant Spray, and Dettol Disinfectant Liquid.

Given the structural similarities of the COVID-19 virus to the coronavirus strains tested previously (SARS-CoV, MERS-CoV, Human Coronavirus), and based on the evidence available to us, we would expect our Dettol products (listed above) to be effective against the new strain. Definitive scientific confirmation of this, as with all other commercially available virucides, can only be provided once testing against COVID-19 Coronavirus has been conducted, following release of the strain by relevant health authorities. 

The CDC and World Health Organization specifically advises people to wash hands often with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer as a key preventative measure against the spread Coronavirus COVID-19. A good quality disinfectant will help reduce risk to families. Our Dettol Hand Sanitizers use ethanol (alcohol) as the germ disinfection active ingredient in line with CDC and WHO recommendations.

Please refer to the NHS website at: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/wuhan-novel-coronavirus/ and/or the WHO website at https://www.who.int/health-topics/coronavirus and/or the CDC website at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/ for additional information."

Video: Can Dettol Products Kill Coronavirus?

Poster: 8 Steps to Clean Hands

Video: Handwashing Steps

References

https://www.who.int/health-topics/coronavirus

[ii] https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/

[iii] https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/symptoms.html

[iv] https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/about/ transmission.html

[v] https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/prevention-treatment.html

4 hours ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Austria has announced that , Italians will only be allowed into their country on production of a medical certificate proving that they do not have Conona virus . So much for , "Freedom of Movement" , in times of crisis it all goes out the window. .

Surely all Austria needs to do is make Italians drink a glass of orange juice at the border to cure any virus they may have? 

You spammed the forum with this tripe a week ago or so. Are you backtracking now?

7 hours ago, faraway saint said:

"Lock Down" does sound dramatic though.

Just spoke to a relative in Paisley, seems the new game of "buy as many toilet rolls as possible" is all the rage.

They were on Costco on Monday and hardly a toilet roll to be seen, although they did steal the one from the public toilet. 

The care home my dad's in, and this is an area where extreme measures should be in place, are still operating as normal. 

But but but....the retailers said there were no shortages.......

Are you starting to realise the potential scale of the problem?

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I doubt it.  Realising it might imply taking responsibility for your own action or inaction. Castigating others is a cop out either way. Crucial period coming up in the next few weeks. 

5 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Are you being deliberately stupid?

Where are these shortages?

You normally preach about listening to people who know what they're talking about but because your down to your last 121 toilet rolls you're panicking.

Dearie me. 

PS the fool is backing you, admit you're fcuked. 😂😂😂

Edited by faraway saint

7 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

You normally preach about listening to people who know what they're talking about but because your down to your last 121 toilet rolls you're panicking.

Dearie me. 

PS the fool is backing you, admit you're defeated. 😂😂😂

Once again you demonstrate that despite your statement that you have me on ignore, you clearly don't. 

Now if it comes to TV, Gambling or Alcoholic drinks then you are in the running for being The Go To man on the forum. 

But for this issue, you seem to have lost the plot, preferring to wafffle on and ridicule. The stats from a large number of sources show that the UK is at the early stages of this disease and numbers are, almost unavoidedky, going to rise very, very sharply in the next few weeks. We do seem to have done a pretty good job of identifying those who have travelled, caught or carried the virus and those they have met. The growth to come is from In UK cross contamination which has slipped through the net. Italy did not tighten up as we have in the first phase. The consequences of that are there for all to see 

People have been urged to self isolate and to have provisions to enable them to do so. 

You might want to get down to that nursing home in Paisley to see your dad and take some stuff with you. If you do it today then you might be able to take in the game. 

I do hope your dad isn't affected. 

10 hours ago, Dickson said:

I joked about having toilet rolls and anti baterial cleanser delivered to my house. 

You stated it didn't work on Coronavirus. It does. You didn't initially talk about COVID-19. The point you also made about bacteria and viruses was disproved also in the same photo. The Dettol packaging says it kills flu virus and coronavirus. 

You then went on to talk about hand wash which I hadn't mentioned at all. 

And now in a desperate attempt to recover some face you've found this which says Dettol hasn't been tested on the COVID-19 variant of coronavirus. I didn't claim it had been.

You'd look much less foolish if you brushed up on your basic reading skills. Again can I recommend Green Eggs and Ham. That book certainly brought on my kids when they had similar reading skills to yourself when they were 4 years old. 

Perhaps your reading skills need brushed up. I concede that you did not mention hand wash.

The Dettol cleanser you instanced claims to kill cold viruses. COVID-19 is not a typical cold virus as it affects the lungs and does not produce nasal symptoms. Your original post, which I recognised as being tongue in cheek, referenced Dettol surface cleanser when earlier posts had been about the theft of hand gel from ho0spitals.

Dear oh dear. The fact that you've got yourself into such a state over a very simple jocular post says far more about you than it does anything else. Why the desperation to save face? 

I don't need the claims on a Dettol bottle explained to me. I didn't need you to go and find an article that tells me that the product hasn't been tested on COVID-19 yet. The reason for posting the picture of the Dettol label was to debunk your silly claim that an anti bacterial cleanser couldn't kill viruses - which it does - and debunking your claim that it couldn't kill the coronavirus - which it also does. 

It's not been your best sequence of posts I'm afraid. 

Only anti viral agents/cleaners kill viruses. If it dont say "anti viral" on the tin... guess what!

Co-vid 19 is a virus.

On a separate point. How do you think the govt (uk as that's who is in control of this) have handled this crisis?

In effect theyve done nothing yet to stop the spread of the virus except tell us to sing happy Birthday twice, which emptied the shelves of sanitizer and handwash.

Imo their lack of imposing restrictions will be HUGELY counterproductive in keeping calm, and carrying on.

If you drip feed restrictions in, people deal with it in the way it affects them thus avoiding widespread panic.

With the surge in cases in the UK and Europe, and the spiralling death count it's now inevitable they will act soon with a whole host of restrictions in one go.

The public however will, or do know that the spread has been allowed to go unchecked, and it will all feel a bit like locking the stable door after the politicians have bolted.

I think Bojo & co have shat themselves and become decision paralysed by worrying too much about what knock on impacts their decisions could make.

Simply put, tge8res no good choices here, but if you act, rather than react... more lives will he saved.

Bojo is a big, fat, racist, Reactor... always has been.

45 minutes ago, Dickson said:

Dear oh dear. The fact that you've got yourself into such a state over a very simple jocular post says far more about you than it does anything else. Why the desperation to save face? 

I don't need the claims on a Dettol bottle explained to me. I didn't need you to go and find an article that tells me that the product hasn't been tested on COVID-19 yet. The reason for posting the picture of the Dettol label was to debunk your silly claim that an anti bacterial cleanser couldn't kill viruses - which it does - and debunking your claim that it couldn't kill the coronavirus - which it also does. 

It's not been your best sequence of posts I'm afraid. 

THE coronavirus under discussion is Covid-19,and, as I said, there is no evidence that the Dettol products are effective against it. I have no idea where you get the idea that I have got myself into a state over your post. I am merely pointing out that the claim that the cleanser kills COVID-19 is erroneous. You seem to have forgotten that this thread is not about coronaviruses in general, but about the prevalent Covid-19.

5 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Supermarkets throughout the UK are experiencing panic buying of toilet rolls, wipes and disinfectant. People are routinely posting photos of empty shelves all over social media.

Maybe you need to get out a bit more.....

6 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Supermarkets throughout the UK are experiencing panic buying of toilet rolls, wipes and disinfectant. People are routinely posting photos of empty shelves all over social media.

Maybe you need to get out a bit more.....

Dear oh dear, do you believe in the tooth fairy?

People, if that's what you want to call them, are rushing around taking pictures of near empty shelves then, guess what, hey presto, the shelves are filled again.

As for the nutters stock piling these 3 items, would you say these people are overreacting, possibly showing signs of hysteria? 

PS I phoned Costco today, asking about toilet rolls, "we've got hundreds sir" was the reply.

Get out more, says the guy relying on social media. 😜😜😜

I'm quite comfortable with what the government has done so far - and for that matter on what Nicola Sturgeon too has said to date on the matter. There seems to be a consistent approach being taken led by scientific advice through the Cobra meetings. In fairness to all the political parties they seem to be working in consort over this issue too. What would you have done differently? Acted like King Kanute trying to turn back the tide? 
I'm of the opinion that eventually the majority of the population will catch this virus and that - in the same way we are all prone to catching the different flu strains that go about every year - most of us will recover after a period of illness. Mike Hancock always said that the first stage of the government strategy was to attempt to slow the spread of the virus. The fact that we seem to be around a month behind the rate of spread in places like Italy suggests they've done that, so far, reasonably well. What is slightly more concerning is the emergence of news that some people have been given the wrong advice through the NHS phone lines which seems to suggest either communication is poor or there have been some rather serious individual errors. 
There are lessons to be learned though. I like the sound of the South Korean app that warns authorities of any sufferer leaving their self isolation. location and Israel seem to be doing things right by insisting everyone arriving in the country goes into a period of self quarantine. We probably also need to increase the levels of screening particularly outside venues where high numbers of people are expected to congregate. 
I'll be at the match tonight. I'm not overly concerned. Do you plan on hiding in your house or will you be there too? 

"Most of us will recover"....
So its govt policy you are happy with that puts anyone, at any age with an underlying condition at risk of death?
Ffs this is people we are sacrificing so champions league games or Spfl games can carry on.
Never mind the fact that the govt have done absolutely nothing to stop people from hot spots entering the country.

3 hours ago, Dickson said:

f**king hell. I'm sorry I tried to be funny now. 🤪I

As I said earlier I was aware of your attempt at humour. Your posts on the subject of cleansers demonstrate your lack of experience in the clinical medicine field. I'll be at the match tonight despite being in two high risk categories: I am happy to accept the views of Prof Jason Leitch, Clinical Director, Healthcare Quality and Strategy , Scotland.

Wow you really are in panic mode aren't you? 
Last time I looked the UK population numbered something like 66 million. The number of confirmed cases in the UK stands at 456. At the moment the way the odds are stacked I'd be more likely to get five numbers and the bonus ball in tonight's lottery than to catch the Coronavirus off anyone I meet today. 
It would be incredible if any government of any hue could stop people from dying completely - even without the threat of a new epidemic. I think the government is doing all it can and I'm glad to say so do most of their political opposition. Although I have just watched Drew Hendry criticise the government for not putting more money into the budget to encourage tourism - which seems really counter-intuitive when travel is likely to be restricted. 
Well you ain't listening Dicko...
Govt has said they expect up to 80%... yes 80% of us to get it. In Germany they go a step further and concede it will definitely be 50 -70%

So uk at 80% = 52.8 million cases with a estimated death rate of between 1 -3.4%
528000 to 1,795000.

Nah nothing to see here, move along... jeez why on earth is the chancellor diverting BILLIONS towards this? You think it's a vote winner?

1 minute ago, Lord Pityme said:

Well you ain't listening Dicko...
Govt has said they expect up to 80%... yes 80% of us to get it. In Germany they go a step further and concede it will definitely be 50 -70%

So uk at 80% = 52.8 million cases with a estimated death rate of between 1 -3.4%
528000 to 1,795000.

Nah nothing to see here, move along... jeez why on earth is the chancellor diverting BILLIONS towards this? You think it's a vote winner?

No they don't.

The WORST CASE scenario they are planning for is 80%.

You do this at every opportunity, exaggerate or just make it up.

7 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

No they don't.

The 80% is a top boundary case.

0% is (or was) the lower boundary case.

So the true answer will be anywhere between 0 and 80%.

LPM said "up to 80%".

Exactly where is he wrong on that?

ETA Scottish Chief Medial Officer Caroline Calderwood said: “The evidence we have is that we might expect up to 80% of the population to have coronavirus at some point"

Edited by oaksoft

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

The 80% is a top boundary case.

0% is (or was) the lower boundary case.

So the true answer will be anywhere between 0 and 80%.

LPM said "up to 80%".

Exactly where is he wrong on that?

Jeezo, they are planning for the worst case scenario at 80%, they are EXPECTING, and I'll check when I get home, around 20%.

He then uses that 80% as the basis for his figures to create the worst case numbers.

😂

No they don't.

Isnt "up to" pretty much "worst case scenario"..?
No?
Ok let's crunch the numbers and go with Gernany who are sure it will be 50 - 70% infected.
That's between 33,000,000 and 46,200,00 for UK infected.
With an estimated death rate between 1,570,800 to 462,000 at 70%
And
1,122,000 to 330,000 estimated death rate at 50% infected...
Yeah, I suppose that looks a lot better!
Oh... and you have to add the average death rate for the good old ordinary flu to those projections too, as no one has told him to clock off.

Yeah I am sure our nhs, as is will take that in its stride.

22 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Jeezo, they are planning for the worst case scenario at 80%, they are EXPECTING, and I'll check when I get home, around 20%.

He then uses that 80% as the basis for his figures to create the worst case numbers.

😂

But calculating potential deaths in the worst case is entirely reasonable. It would be catastrophic if it happened at all and if it all happened in a short period it would be unthinkable.

The government through the chief medical officer have been quoted as saying they think there could be up to 80% of the population catching this. That's all LPM said and you were wrong to jump on him for that single point.

Edited by oaksoft

28 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Isnt "up to" pretty much "worst case scenario"..?
No?
Ok let's crunch the numbers and go with Gernany who are sure it will be 50 - 70% infected.
That's between 33,000,000 and 46,200,00 for UK infected.
With an estimated death rate between 1,570,800 to 462,000 at 70%
And
1,122,000 to 330,000 estimated death rate at 50% infected...
Yeah, I suppose that looks a lot better!
Oh... and you have to add the average death rate for the good old ordinary flu to those projections too, as no one has told him to clock off.

Yeah I am sure our nhs, as is will take that in its stride.

Ok, let's crunch some numbers, not hypothetical, REAL numbers.

Italy, where it's "rife" has had 9,172 positive cases from a population of 60,555,000

To save you getting a headache that's a ,01% rate. 

Aye, rattle on, and remember, Happy Birthday twice when washing your hands.