11 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

New Zealand
5 million population
1,239 cases.
1 death.

Scotland
5.5 million population
6,067 cases
575 deaths (possibly many more not recorded)

An article on the subject from last weeks Guardian - like the article & FTOF says NZ has substantial advantages.

Have Australia and New Zealand stopped Covid-19 in its tracks?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/09/have-australia-new-zealand-stopped-covid-19-in-its-tracks-coronavirus

Edited by Bud the Baker

7 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

New Zealand
5 million population
1,239 cases.
1 death.

Scotland
5.5 million population
6,067 cases
575 deaths (possibly many more not recorded)

New Zealand 1,366 cases

9 deaths

Still remarkably low figures.

It is much larger than Scotland, (10% larger than the UK) so, possibly less densely populated than Scotland/UK could be a contributory factor? 

13 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

New Zealand 1,366 cases

9 deaths

Still remarkably low figures.

It is much larger than Scotland, (10% larger than the UK) so, possibly less densely populated than Scotland/UK could be a contributory factor? 

Indeed.

One of the main factors in the spread of disease is population density. That will certainly have some bearing on the situation.

I was going to post figures but couldn't be arsed. NZ is about three times the size of Scotland in terms of surface area.

Finland was quoted last week, and it's even bigger.

However, both NZ and Australia, seem to have learned from Boris and his band of idiot's incompetence and made a quick decision to lockdown the population.

My mate is currently living in Guatemala. As soon as this all started their president ordered an army enforced curfew. Although, as he said, the locals are used to a significant military presence in normal life.

Edited by FTOF

Like it or not, society has created a few generations of individuals who cannot cook a basic meal.
A significant proportion of the population rely on takeaway food to get by on a day to day basis.
Imagine a single mother trying to feed three kids, when you lack the basic skills to cook, or you are trying to vary the food choice for your kids who have been coped up in a high flat for three weeks.
Maybe it's your outlook that is selfish.
Seriously?
You think someone in this day in age... In an emergency... Is incapable of watching a three minute YouTube channel or hell, if it came to it, heating up some fish fingers?

You think that more important than saving lives?

Indeed.
One of the main factors in the spread of disease is population density. That will certainly have some bearing on the situation.
I was going to post figures but couldn't be arsed. NZ is about three times the size of Scotland in terms of surface area.
Finland was quoted last week, and it's even bigger.
However, both NZ and Australia, seem to have learned from Boris and his band of idiot's incompetence and made a quick decision to lockdown the population.
My mate is currently living in Guatemala. As soon as this all started their president ordered an army enforced curfew. Although, as he said, the locals are used to a significant military presence in normal life.
But are the Chinese restaurants allowed to do home deliveries in Guatamala?

7 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

Seriously?
You think someone in this day in age... In an emergency... Is incapable of watching a three minute YouTube channel or hell, if it came to it, heating up some fish fingers?

You think that more important than saving lives?

emoji50.pngemoji50.pngemoji50.pngemoji850.pngemoji850.pngemoji850.pngemoji34.pngemoji34.pngemoji34.png

A pretty flippant answer, and again doesn't take into account, the hugely varied and hugely stressful personal circumstances that some people are living in just now.

I think enabling particular families to feed them selves is just as important as saving lives.

3 hours ago, FTOF said:

Both NZ and Oz went to lockdown and quarantined for 14 days all arrivals from 3rd Feb in NZ’s case with Oz following very soon after. This had nothing to do with learning from Boris.

15 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Both NZ and Oz went to lockdown and quarantined for 14 days all arrivals from 3rd Feb in NZ’s case with Oz following very soon after. This had nothing to do with learning from Boris.

My mate and his wife went to Oz on the 9th March, returned on 25th March.

No checks in or out, just saying. 

Edited by faraway saint

20 minutes ago, Hiram Abiff said:

I hold my hands up.

I have been completely wrong.

This has turned out to far far worse than I expected.

And the numbers of Covid 19 deaths I see reported on the TV are vastly underestimated.

Its a catastrophe beyond what I could have imagined and I will now shut up.

As must of you already knew, I’m an arse.

That's very magnanimous of you. Respect 

Even more frightening where COVID19 was a factor 

This is going to be devastating when it really hits South America and Africa, and I hope the world does not get all insular  

24 minutes ago, Hiram Abiff said:

I hold my hands up.

And the numbers of Covid 19 deaths I see reported on the TV are vastly underestimated.

:lol:

Till tomorrow. :rolleyes:

It looks as if it is directly related to travel patterns and not totally on Countries responses.  Oz and NZ are quite isolated in terms of mass travel, as is the rest of the Southern Hemisphere, where cases are generally much lower, whereas the whole of Western Europe has had huge unrestricted cross border travel for decades now, and massive tourist infrastructures and travel between Europe and US, through global hubs including London, New York,  Amsterdam, Paris, then I think you can start to explain the bigger numbers in Europe and US.

Edited by sally02

Today's numbers have a slight rise, 778, 717 yesterday with 737 on Sunday.

3 days in the 700's, confirming the evening out that's been apparent for over a week.

This issue about deaths in the community, not yet entered in England will surely be added to the final total and not onto a days number?

I'm bemused this has taken so long, they seem to put the majority of deaths that occur in hospitals into the virus deaths, not sure why the numbers aren't available for deaths outside hospitals. 

1 hour ago, Hiram Abiff said:

I hold my hands up.

It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong and that is to be respected. Well done. 

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

My mate and his wife went to Oz on the 9th March, returned on 25th March.

No checks in or out, just saying. 

Inwards would've been before Australia closed it's borders to incomers on the 20th.

Outwards these tests take time and perhaps the authorities wouldn't be too interested in finding out if people leaving the country were positive anyway. 

3 hours ago, Hiram Abiff said:

I hold my hands up.

While you frequently went OTT I think it's important to recognize that there are different interpretations of the data available and that some of them come from credible sources - it's right that people & scientists question the government and it's actions although with people's health and lives at risk we should always err on the side of caution.

Guest TPAFKATS

An article on the subject from last weeks Guardian - like the article & FTOF says NZ has substantial advantages.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/09/have-australia-new-zealand-stopped-covid-19-in-its-tracks-coronavirus

Biggest advantage being not having to follow a policy if herd immunity.

19 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
9 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Biggest advantage being not having to follow a policy if herd immunity.

Classic Dom!