Coronavirus

faraway saint

On 4/8/2020 at 11:41 PM, TPAFKATS said:

I'm really not sure where you are going with the whataboutery in this post.
You seem to have completely ignored my point about the amount of deaths we are having.

Also, where is the sensationalism?

I've just read a report stating deaths could peak around 3000 a day in UK later in around 10 days time.

That's not far off what oaksoft said albeit his dates were out.

I really hope he continues to be wrong.

One half of the Chuckle brothers strikes again.:lol:

Here's how he works, searches for something as extreme as possible, posts it, shows NO ability to think if this is probable and sits back, waiting to see if he can blame the government.

Think that sums it up. :byebye

Michael Ball, a favourite of the now legend Captain Tom Moore, after talking to him a few days ago has released a single to add to the already unbelievable amount of money raised for the NHS.

You'll Never Walk Alone, joined by the MAN himself and various members of the NHS.

Probably a self publicising stunt. :rolleyes:

Shame on you Michael Ball. :lol:

Meanwhile thousands of loyal and regular Morrsons users who are now out of work and struggling are offered no such discounts.
NHS Staff who in general may use other Supermarkets are given 10% off by Morrisons. 
Aye, NHS Staff who are getting full time wages and probably as much overtime as they want.
FECK MORRISONS and their selective shit.
Ya beauty, one less person in the queue [emoji16]

It just gets more depressing

1. Further evidence that Trump is going for the redneck vote, that's if they survive till November.

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump on Friday encouraged an anti-lockdown group that is scheduled to protest in Minnesota against stay-at-home orders to prevent the spread of coronavirus and he appeared to back such efforts in other states, arguing that "elements" of some state regulations were "just too tough."

2. WHO reporting that having had the disease is no guarantee of immunity.

There is currently no evidence to support the belief that people who have recovered from coronavirus then have immunity, the World Health Organisation has said.

Senior WHO epidemiologists warned despite the hopes governments across the world have piled on antibody tests, there is no proof those who have been infected cannot be infected again.

"You might have someone who believes they are seropositive (have been infected) and protected in a situation where they may be exposed and in fact they are susceptible to the disease."

The WHO is due to issue updated guidance on the issue this weekend.

7 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

It just gets more depressing

1. Further evidence that Trump is going for the redneck vote, that's if they survive till November.

2. WHO reporting that having had the disease is no guarantee of immunity.

On the other hand....................very early days but a glimmer. 

Wish I'd moved to Oxford when I had the chance just over a year ago. :rolleyes:

Scientists at the University of Oxford say they should have at least a million doses of a coronavirus vaccine by September this year.

The UK government, which is backing the project, said there were "no guarantees" and it was not possible to put a date on a vaccine.

The first patients are expected to take part in the Oxford trials next week.

However, it is still too soon to know whether it will be either safe or effective.

Most experts still estimate it will take 12 to 18 months to develop and manufacture a vaccine.

3 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Scientists at the University of Oxford say they should have at least a million doses of a coronavirus vaccine by September this year.

The UK government, which is backing the project, said there were "no guarantees" and it was not possible to put a date on a vaccine.

However, it is still too soon to know whether it will be either safe or effective.

Most experts still estimate it will take 12 to 18 months to develop and manufacture a vaccine.

Turn that frown upside down.

12 minutes ago, shull said:

Why does our NHS constantly need donations from people  who already contribute via TAX ? 

Because we've had 10 years of austerity economics and people voting for  a government whose policy has been to pare the NHS to the bone - how many of the Thursday night clappers will vote for parties advocating tax rises at the next election?

20 minutes ago, shull said:

Why does our NHS constantly need donations from people  who already contribute via TAX ? 

Because they don't pay enough TAX !

That is not to say also that the NHS should at all times be looking to improve and spend money well.

Edited by lenziebud

20 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Because we've had 10 years of austerity economics and people voting for  a government whose policy has been to pare the NHS to the bone - how many of the Thursday night clappers will vote for parties advocating tax rises at the next election?

The NHS has ALWAYS been "underfunded" as, IMO, it's next to impossible to fully fund a "beast" that's been created with the best of intentions.

See below..................The numbers at the end are in BILLIONS

.The Bill applies to the NHS in England. Responsibility for health services is devolved to the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish Governments (although changes to departmental spending can affect the overall budgets of devolved governments through the Barnett formula).

447b1833-76fb-46cb-ac81-f24259fb5be0.png

Edited by faraway saint

4 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

The NHS has ALWAYS been "underfunded" as, IMO, it's next to impossible to fully fund a "beast" that's been created with the best of intentions.

See below...................The Bill applies to the NHS in England. Responsibility for health services is devolved to the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish Governments (although changes to departmental spending can affect the overall budgets of devolved governments through the Barnett formula).

Agree, but there are levels of underfunding

2 hours ago, shull said:

Meanwhile thousands of loyal and regular Morrsons users who are now out of work and struggling are offered no such discounts.

NHS Staff who in general may use other Supermarkets are given 10% off by Morrisons. 

Aye, NHS Staff who are getting full time wages and probably as much overtime as they want.

FECK MORRISONS and their selective shit.

It's not about fairness or genuine gratitude but public relations, Shull. The public are standing outside their home applauding NHS staff, and Morrisons want to capitalise on the public's gratitude - the very fact it has been mentioned on this forum indicates their strategy has worked; it's free advertising. But you can rest assured that Morrisons' executives are not sitting around asking how they can best help support NHS workers. 

15 minutes ago, W6er said:

It's not about fairness or genuine gratitude but public relations, Shull. The public are standing outside their home applauding NHS staff, and Morrisons want to capitalise on the public's gratitude - the very fact it has been mentioned on this forum indicates their strategy has worked; it's free advertising. But you can rest assured that Morrisons' executives are not sitting around asking how they can best help support NHS workers. 

Of course. That's my point. 

8 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

See below...................The Bill applies to the NHS in England. Responsibility for health services is devolved to the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish Governments (although changes to departmental spending can affect the overall budgets of devolved governments through the Barnett formula).

Yeah that'd be good if the plan is followed through, unlikely in the current circumstances. In the last year of the Labour Govt. NHS spending was 7.6% of GDP this had fallen to 7.2% in 2018/19 and this against a backdrop of an ageing population and new techniques. Admittedly the plans you outline would've taken this percentage up to an estimated 7.9% but like I say that's a pre-Covid estimate.

https://fullfact.org/election-2019/nhs-spending-biggest-boost/

Even then the conclusion to the report was

Whether or not you count inflation, the funding that’s been announced for the NHS won’t be enough to address future issues the service will face, according to expert think tanks.

It is all about what and where the money is spent on regarding the NHS. 

St Mirren spent hundreds of thousands via David Hay. We got relegatit. 

St Mirren spent around 30 grand to purchase Jacky Copland. An outstanding success that was. 

Spend wisely. 

Too much waste in this Country especially when arseholes are spending other peoples cash. 

33 minutes ago, W6er said:

Jeezo, how many meetings have you attended with the executives of Morrisons?

I'll start this off.............................feck all? :lol:

20 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Jeezo, how many meetings have you attended with the executives of Morrisons?

I'll start this off.............................feck all? :lol:

Fair point. It is speculation on my point...but do you disagree? Or are you deliberately being contrary for the sake of it? :lol: :wink:

28 minutes ago, W6er said:

Fair point. It is speculation on my point...but do you disagree? Or are you deliberately being contrary for the sake of it? :lol: :wink:

My opinion is it is what it is, a decent gesture that can only benefit people who are working in very difficult circumstances.

I'll leave the conspiracy shite to others. .

Aye, easy to roll out the "contrary" term when someone see's something differently. :byebye

Edited by faraway saint

1 hour ago, shull said:

Maybe a chunk of NHS TAX MONEY is wasted by those in charge of the NHS. 

I practice austerity. 

It really is good housekeeping. 

Football Clubs should adhere to it. 

The NHS is the third largest employer in the world, behind the red army and the Indian railway company. Like most large bureaucratic organisations it can spend money at an alarming rate. However the governance mechanisms within the NHS account for every penny being spent wisely. The problem is that governments over the years have used the NHS and schools and the police as a political football that they can tinker with and change to suit there own political agenda ( remember PPI and the abolition of trusts) these changes are massive and cost money and time that could have been saved and spent on direct patient care. 

The other significant impact is that the NHS was designed and created when life expectancy was 66 for men and 70 for women (England & Wales) this is Now 81 and 83 respectively. We are living longer, however not without illnesses. We are still vowed as the sick man of Europe, we drink to much, we eat too much and we smoke to much. Most of the population have sedentary jobs and we don’t have a good public transport system which would encourage walking and cycling to and from work. 

we all individually have to take responsibility and think long and hard about who we vote into power.  

4 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Somehow I doubt it was to do a PhD... :lol:

4 hours ago, shull said:

So, the money raised for the NHS. 

Who is in charge of that eighteen million pound budget and what will they spend it on ? 

Don't interpreters cost the NHS about £20 million a year? If you speak a foreign language and there's a big queue, you will get seen as a priority if your interpreter turns up pronto. :whistle