Coronavirus

faraway saint

1 minute ago, TPAFKATS said:
13 hours ago, faraway saint said:
And you choose to believe it? emoji38.png
You've just proved my point, unbelievable. :byebye
PS Was it The Beano or The Dandy? emoji1782.png

No, I chose to post it. How stupid are you?

Ok, one last attempt.

You stumbled across a report of 3,000 death per day for the UK for the 18th April.

Where was this report and how credible was the source? 

After you posted this hilarious post I posted......................What do you actually, and I know this will hurt your head, THINK the numbers will be?

This was the hard bit, did you think that number was likely? 

If so, why? 

You have continually drooled over the bigger numbers, like your fool of a pal, only looking to blame the government.

There is nothing wrong with seeking data, it's your inability to show any understanding of the probability.

I doubt your answer any of the above as your a buffoon. :byebye

You are a ghoul of the highest order and should be ashamed. 

9 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

He also doesn't seem to understand that the lockdown process has prevented daily deaths spiking into the thousands per day.

You can't argue with stupidity.

You, and this clown, have both posted stupid figures SINCE the lockdown was in place.

Keep digging, you have no credibility left, the only way is up. :lol:

16 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Or perhaps the one where he screeches about how stupid it is to use Italy as a comparison as the cases increased and then 3 weeks later uses Italy as a comparison as they levelled off.

Or maybe where he criticises me for extrapolating from worldometer data to show what "business as usual" might look like over a few weeks, because I haven't included enough variables, but then 3 weeks later is calculating 3 day averages and claiming it's proof of a long term trend.

Or we could just leave the nugget to it. I honestly don't know what his problem is and frankly I don't care.

I've said for about a week things looked like they were levelling off.

You only appeared, after licking your wounds, when we had a figure in the 900's, which, in a perverse way, seemed to excite you.

When the figures, the actual facts, went down, you disappeared.

Your PHD is buffoonery has really come in handy. :lol:

Silly me! I forgot about the discovery of the Babel Fish in 2012, which rendered all interpreters redundant. Holidays aren't the same though, I always enjoyed trying to get by with a phrase book. 
Well GMan you asked a question then made a statement in reference.

You forgot one small item, how much do those requiring treatment by the NHS pay for it out with taxes?

Guest TPAFKATS
Wasting my time, no ability to understand the "reports" you actively search out.
No view, except Government bad.
[emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

You are the one who appears to have no ability to understand.

I posted weeks ago. It was literally a wee story that had been on the news report.

The articles related to it gave more information that explained why they came to that conclusion.

I didn't give an opinion on it. I gave no view.
This thread is for sharing information and opinions.

You literally don't understand that not every post needs to have an opinion attached.

This is particularly ironic given you instantly dismiss anyone who's opinion you disagree with.

I didn't answer your post at the time as I really have no interest in conversing with you on this subject. You indicated that you had me on ignore too yet going by my notifications that are now working again you seem keen to respond to almost every post I make. You appear to want to argue. I've more important stuff to spend my time on.

1 minute ago, TPAFKATS said:

You are the one who appears to have no ability to understand.

I posted weeks ago. It was literally a wee story that had been on the news report.

The articles related to it gave more information that explained why they came to that conclusion.

I didn't give an opinion on it. I gave no view.
This thread is for sharing information and opinions.

You literally don't understand that not every post needs to have an opinion attached.

This is particularly ironic given you instantly dismiss anyone who's opinion you disagree with.

I didn't answer your post at the time as I really have no interest in conversing with you on this subject. You indicated that you had me on ignore too yet going by my notifications that are now working again you seem keen to respond to almost every post I make. You appear to want to argue. I've more important stuff to spend my time on.

:lol:

Guest TPAFKATS
Well GMan you asked a question then made a statement in reference.

You forgot one small item, how much do those requiring treatment by the NHS pay for it out with taxes?
People jumping the queue in the NHS just because they need an interpreter. That's bordering on the hysterical.

2 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Sunday Times with a pretty damming article, particularly from a murdoch paper, about Johnson skipping cobra meetings, ignoring scientists warnings and ppe concerns.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/coronavirus-38-days-when-britain-sleepwalked-into-disaster-hq3b9tlgh

Seen this discussed on Andrew Marr.

At this time, January as I recall, Johnson was trying to get Brexit completed and the virus wasn't seen as the threat it has become. 

Hindsight is wonderful. 

As you should be aware the amount of "scientists warnings" have been wild and wonderful, unlikely any country could have taken EVERY report produced by scientists. 

24 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Seen this discussed on Andrew Marr.

At this time, January as I recall, Johnson was trying to get Brexit completed and the virus wasn't seen as the threat it has become. 

Hindsight is wonderful. 

As you should be aware the amount of "scientists warnings" have been wild and wonderful, unlikely any country could have taken EVERY report produced by scientists. 

Bollox.

how could anyone sentient defend him!?

brexit is still not completed.  Won’t be for years.  If ever...

the buffoon was infamous for being posted absent when Mayor of London, he was infamous for being lazy about research and briefings when Foreign Secretary, he just made up bollox for his reports as a journalist.  

Johnson has always been a lazy, self indulgent tosspot.

He is a con man.

1 minute ago, antrin said:

Bollox.

how could anyone sentient defend him!?

brexit is still not completed.  Won’t be for years.  If ever...

the buffoon was infamous for being posted absent when Mayor of London, he was infamous for being lazy about research and briefings when Foreign Secretary, he just made up bollox for his reports as a journalist.  

Johnson has always been a lazy, self indulgent tosspot.

He is a con man.

Run along, no time for your shite today. :byebye

BJ missed the first 5 meetings not attending his first until 3 weeks after @faraway saint started this thread by which time it was clear the genie was out of the bottle! It's indicative of the initial nonchalant attitude that the government took until their turnaround in mid-March that left the UK behind the curve despite having (IMO what should have been) the inbuilt advantage of being an island.  Having said that there did not seem to be a great deal of criticism of Johnson's approach at the time from other politicians, perhaps to avoid accusations of opportunism. 

I agree with @antrin that "Johnson has always been a lazy, self indulgent tosspot".

Edited by Bud the Baker

Just now, Bud the Baker said:

BJ missed the first 5 meetings not attending his first until 3 weeks after @faraway saint started this thread by which time it was clear the genie was out of the bottle! It's indicative of the initial nonchalant attitude that the government took until their turnaround in mid-March that left the UK behind the curve despite having (IMO what should have been) the inbuilt advantage of being an island.  Having said that there did not seem to be a great deal of criticism of Johnson's approach at the time from other politicians, perhaps to avoid accusations of opportunism. 

Having said all that I agree with @antrin that "Johnson has always been a lazy, self indulgent tosspot".

The "turnaround" was based on previous advice, and a change in advice from so called scientific experts, not Johnson on his own. 

The "herd immunity" approach was advised after this thread was started, in fact St Mirren played Hearts some 5 weeks after I started this thread.

I doubt many who attended that game seen the threat for what it has become. 

I'm not convinced things couldn't have been done better but it is exceptional and plenty of things that the government have done seldom get mentioned.

Analysis from Cardiff, Nottingham and Oxford Universities finds "very little gain" in continuing total lockdown

An academic paper from 2020-04-15 models various scenarios to investigate time-dependent strategies of handling the epidemic taking into account the needs of the elderly and those with special medical conditions. Main findings include:

Very little gain, in terms of the projected hospital bed occupancy and expected numbers of death,of continuing the lock-down beyond April 13, provided the isolation of older and vulnerable people continues and the public carries on some level of isolation in the next 2-3 months,

Isolation of the group of vulnerable people during the next 2-3 months should be one of the main priorities

The epidemic should almost completely finish in July, no global second wave should be expected,except areas where the first wave is almost absent.

Source: Comparison of different exit scenarios from the lock-down for COVID-19 epidemic in the UK and assessing uncertainty of the predictions, Anatoly Zhigljavsky, Roger Whitaker, Ivan Fesenko, Kobi Kremnizer, Jack Noonan

46 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

1. The "turnaround" was based on previous advice, and a change in advice from so called scientific experts, not Johnson on his own. 

2. The "herd immunity" approach was advised after this thread was started, in fact St Mirren played Hearts some 5 weeks after I started this thread.

3. I doubt many who attended that game seen the threat for what it has become. 

4. I'm not convinced things couldn't have been done better but it is exceptional and plenty of things that the government have done seldom get mentioned.

1 IIRC there were experts arguing for a lockdown well before it was implemented - the timing was a political decision and the UK lagged behind other major European countries.

2. The government via Health Secretary Matt Hancock denied herd immunity was their strategy

Asked about the “herd immunity” concept on Andrew Marr’s BBC political programme the following day, Hancock emphasised: “Herd immunity is not our policy, it’s not our goal.”

3. People were already speculating on this site about whether the game should go ahead on the 10th (the day before) and you were telling them to "feck off" :rolleyes:, all games were cancelled by the weekend and yet a general lockdown did not happen until over a week later.

4. I presume this is meant to indicate your approval in general of the governments handling of the situation - if so I disagree with your analysis.

Edited by Bud the Baker

1 minute ago, Hiram Abiff said:

Analysis from Cardiff, Nottingham and Oxford Universities finds "very little gain" in continuing total lockdown

An academic paper from 2020-04-15 models various scenarios to investigate time-dependent strategies of handling the epidemic taking into account the needs of the elderly and those with special medical conditions. Main findings include:

Very little gain, in terms of the projected hospital bed occupancy and expected numbers of death,of continuing the lock-down beyond April 13, provided the isolation of older and vulnerable people continues and the public carries on some level of isolation in the next 2-3 months,

Isolation of the group of vulnerable people during the next 2-3 months should be one of the main priorities

The epidemic should almost completely finish in July, no global second wave should be expected,except areas where the first wave is almost absent.

Source: Comparison of different exit scenarios from the lock-down for COVID-19 epidemic in the UK and assessing uncertainty of the predictions, Anatoly Zhigljavsky, Roger Whitaker, Ivan Fesenko, Kobi Kremnizer, Jack Noonan

:whistle:whistle:whistle

18 hours ago, shull said:

You are so jealous and envious and full of hatred.  :lol:

They are a non elected body doing even less than nothing at the moment. They should be furloughed at the very least but it would be better if the whole thing was abolished and the money saved put to good use.

2 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

1 IIRC there were experts arguing for a lockdown even back in February - the timing was a political decision and the UK lagged behind other major European countries.

2. The government via Health Secretary Matt Hancock denied herd immunity was their strategy

3. People were already speculating on this site about whether the game should go ahead on the 10th (the day before) and you were telling them to "feck off" :rolleyes:, all games were cancelled by the weekend and yet a general lockdown did not happen until over a week later.

4. I presume this is meant to indicate your approval in general of the governments handling of the situation - if so I disagree with your analysis.

1 There were mixed reports from so called experts.

2 No real debate in the terminology, but the approach matched this term.

3 The people speculating were very much in the minority. (As I recall LPM the main voice, hardly to be taken seriously as he also was going along the hundred of thousands of deaths path :rolleyes:)

4 Overall, pluses and minuses in a very unique situation, just not pouring scorn all over the place.

Thanks for your time, much appreciated. :thumbs2