Coronavirus

faraway saint

If I was currently in The Land of the Long White Cloud I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to return.

Britons stranded in New Zealand to be flown home

More than 1,500 Britons stranded in New Zealand will be repatriated on five charter flights beginning this week.

Those most at risk from coronavirus, like those with existing health conditions, pregnant women, or the elderly, will be prioritised on three flights leaving Auckland and two from Christchurch, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) said.

The first plane is expected to depart on Friday and flights will continue to run every second day, with alternating departures from Auckland and Christchurch, the FCO said.

Services are being part-funded by the Government's £75 million scheme to organise flights from countries where commercial services have been halted due to the pandemic.

However tickets back from New Zealand will cost £800 per person. Travellers able to prove financial hardship may be able to get an emergency loan from public funds.

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

Which I'll take as an acceptance that the government was nonchalant about Covid for too long and should have introduced the lockdown at least a week earlier and that it was a political decision not to do so.

And they weren't really asking at all going by this crucial quote. FS is trying to re-write history:-

"Our stewards will be briefed accordingly and anyone with cold or flu-like symptoms will not be admitted. We apologise in advance for any inconvenience caused."

Professor Johan Giesecke, one of the world’s most senior epidemiologists, who is an advisor to the Swedish Government

The flattening of the curve we are seeing now is due to the most vulnerable dying first as much as the lockdown

UK policy on lockdown and in other European countries is not evidence-based

The correct policy is to protect the old and the frail only

This will eventually lead to herd immunity as a “by-product”

The initial UK response, before the “180 degree U-turn”, was better

The Imperial College paper was “not very good” and he has never seen an unpublished, non-peer-reviewed paper have so much policy impact

Is dismissive of the 510,000 figure that was predicted if mitigation measures were not implemented

The Imperial College paper was much too pessimistic and did not factor in the now much increased ICU capacity

Any such models are a dubious basis for public policy anyway, taking no account of real world specifics

The results will eventually be similar for all countries

Covid-19 is a “mild disease” and similar to the flu, and it was the novelty of the disease that scared people.

The actual fatality rate of Covid-19 will in all likelihood turn out to be in the region of 0.1%

At least 50% of the population of both the UK and Sweden will likely be shown to have already had the disease when mass antibody testing becomes available

2 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Which I'll take as an acceptance that the government was nonchalant about Covid for too long and should have introduced the lockdown at least a week earlier and that it was a political decision not to do so.

They shouldn’t have introduced a lockdown at all

The reason they introduced a lockdown was purely in response to panic induced public opinion 

Edited by Hiram Abiff

Guest TPAFKATS
3. People were already speculating on this site about whether the game should go ahead on the 10th (the day before) and you were telling them to "feck off" :rolleyes:, all games were cancelled by the weekend and yet a general lockdown did not happen until over a week later.
4. I presume this is meant to indicate your approval in general of the governments handling of the situation - if so I disagree with your analysis.
Yeah, the Sunday Times article talks about how it wasn't the science changing and how there had already been scientists advising on how bad this could be.

9 minutes ago, shull said:

Sorry Shull, I stopped 1 minute 32 seconds in: "...anti-Israel, so he's another one who thinks that Jews are hiding under his bed controlling everything...". That's just utter nonsense I'm afraid. One can be opposed to the Israeli state without necessarily believing that the Jews control everything. Conflating opposition to Israel's activities with anti-Semitism is a deliberate, disingenuous tactic.

It's a shame, because I might have otherwise agreed with some of his points. 

Guest TPAFKATS
It's not as if St. Mirren had the power to do anything more than ask if the government wasn't advocating a lockdown.

42 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

And they weren't really asking at all going by this crucial quote. FS is trying to re-write history:-

"Our stewards will be briefed accordingly and anyone with cold or flu-like symptoms will not be admitted. We apologise in advance for any inconvenience caused."

Have you EVER been to a football match........................how the feck will "stewards" after being "briefed" know if anyone has cold or flu like symptoms........................which is funny as you'd think this was like the flu? 🤡

8 minutes ago, Hiram Abiff said:

Since the lockdown hysteria began, nearly 1 million children worldwide have died of starvation and related illness

How many would have died of starvation and related illnesses if the lockdown had not been implemented, though? 

Nicola Sturgeon was happy to allow an Old Firm march to be played before banning mass gatherings
Scotland must never forget what her overriding priority was - supporting sectarianism

I'd have thought bringing different views together in such a manor would be applauded if it reduced sectarianism.

19 minutes ago, W6er said:

Sorry Shull, I stopped 1 minute 32 seconds in: "...anti-Israel, so he's another one who thinks that Jews are hiding under his bed controlling everything...". That's just utter nonsense I'm afraid. One can be opposed to the Israeli state without necessarily believing that the Jews control everything. Conflating opposition to Israel's activities with anti-Semitism is a deliberate, disingenuous tactic.

It's a shame, because I might have otherwise agreed with some of his points. 

Ha ha ha 

1 minute ago, shull said:

Ha ha ha 

Why did that amuse you, Shull?

I really hate to be negative and judgemental, but when did the general public become such hypocritical, selfish, attention-seeking morons? Those images and videos of people applauding on a bridge is simply ridiculous. Does anybody know the background to the story? My judgement may be a little presumptuous, but I assume their applause is due to the sacrifice some key workers are making, despite the risk of infection. Yet there they were in public, quite possibly spreading the virus, contrary to government advice and newly established protocol. Most of them seemed to be filming the occasion, apparently filming themselves for social media, so that everybody could see how virtuous they are, how much they care about the sacrifice those key workers are making. This is a zombie apocalypse of sorts, or at least many people are brain dead. [/RANT]

35 minutes ago, W6er said:

Why did that amuse you, Shull?

I really hate to be negative and judgemental, but when did the general public become such hypocritical, selfish, attention-seeking morons? Those images and videos of people applauding on a bridge is simply ridiculous. Does anybody know the background to the story? My judgement may be a little presumptuous, but I assume their applause is due to the sacrifice some key workers are making, despite the risk of infection. Yet there they were in public, quite possibly spreading the virus, contrary to government advice and newly established protocol. Most of them seemed to be filming the occasion, apparently filming themselves for social media, so that everybody could see how virtuous they are, how much they care about the sacrifice those key workers are making. This is a zombie apocalypse of sorts, or at least many people are brain dead. [/RANT]

You didn't actually watch the utter shite he posted? :lol:

He's totally flipped, on the edge of utter madness and really should be locked away somewhere.

It's uncertain if he believes the continual shite he posts or does it to attract attention but, IMO, he's best ignored. 

Surprised he's still allowed on the forum, any social media TBH. :lol: