Coronavirus

faraway saint

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/captain-tom-moore-100th-birthday-fundraiser-cards-a4427901.html
Well done to Captain Moore! I just hope he doesn't spoil it all, by not personally replying to each and every one of the 140,000 people who have sent him a birthday card.
That's Colonel Moore to you....

1 hour ago, salmonbuddie said:
8 hours ago, GMan said:
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/captain-tom-moore-100th-birthday-fundraiser-cards-a4427901.html
Well done to Captain Moore! I just hope he doesn't spoil it all, by not personally replying to each and every one of the 140,000 people who have sent him a birthday card.

That's Colonel Moore to you....ya walloper.

:wink:

1 hour ago, salmonbuddie said:
9 hours ago, GMan said:

That's Colonel Moore to you....

Yeah...well I'm the one above colonel, and I could have done the 2.5 km in about 15 minutes. 

27 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

It appears, during this pandemic, where Nicola Sturgeon leads, the UK government follow.

Ever crossed your mind that may well be political ?

53% deaths of COVID19 in care homes in Scotland...…………. ooops they missed that one

Edited by DougJamie

Guest TPAFKATS
53% deaths of COVID19 in care homes in Scotland...…………. ooops they missed that one
Who missed it?

2 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Politicians following the actions of a politician, and you think it might well be political.:lol

No shit Sherlock.

40 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Who missed it?

Everyone looks like

7 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

But its the scientists that are apparently leading the show

What on earth are you wittering on about?

Scientists provide advice.

That advice will be varied and contradictory as is the case in all science.

Politicians are the ones who then have to make decisions taking all of that advice into account.

Then keyboard warriors, who generally have never had any major responsibilities in life, have the luxury of sitting at home and condemning those politicians no matter what decision they make because there will always be a piece of advice which contradicts their actions.

That seems to be the way society works from what I can see.

Edited by oaksoft

The question whether Hancock made a rod for his own back or not in trying to hit 100,000 tests by the end of April, is a matter of debate, the main point of testing is surely not just to create numbers on a chart, but to actually use the testing for the right reasons.

If Germany had tested 1.3m by 4th April and continued at 50k per day after that they would now have another 1.4 million tested. However what has it told them and who is being tested?

Basically I can be tested today and be negative and tomorrow tested again and be positive. What has that proved (other than I have come into contact with a carrier)!?

Testing has two main benefits:

1. it can show where the hot-spots are in the country and you can act accordingly to isolate more of that community

2. it can allow the key workers to carry on working if they continue to show a negative reading.

Otherwise, what other good does testing do, especially if it is merely a one off test?

Of course it was political. Caring politics as opposed to monetary politics. None of the nations went far enough to look after those in care homes. But Scotland was at least acknowledging them in their figures.

8 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

The question whether Hancock made a rod for his own back or not in trying to hit 100,000 tests by the end of April, is a matter of debate, the main point of testing is surely not just to create numbers on a chart, but to actually use the testing for the right reasons.

If Germany had tested 1.3m by 4th April and continued at 50k per day after that they would now have another 1.4 million tested. However what has it told them and who is being tested?

Basically I can be tested today and be negative and tomorrow tested again and be positive. What has that proved (other than I have come into contact with a carrier)!?

Testing has two main benefits:

1. it can show where the hot-spots are in the country and you can act accordingly to isolate more of that community

2. it can allow the key workers to carry on working if they continue to show a negative reading.

Otherwise, what other good does testing do, especially if it is merely a one off test?

It allows you to get a moving snapshot of how far the virus has spread without waiting for infection and death figures to tell you.

That could in theory buy you some more time to implement some controls.

It can also educate you about how the virus spreads and which demographics are best at overcoming it. There's a whole heap of data you could collect for analysis.

In practice, testing would need to be repeated regularly.

For those treating covid patients or vulnerable people, testing should be very regular indeed for obvious reasons but for everyone else, less regular testing would be enough.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

What on earth are you wittering on about?

Scientists provide advice.

That advice will be varied and contradictory as is the case in all science.

Politicians are the ones who then have to make decisions taking all of that advice into account.

Then keyboard warriors, who generally have never had any major responsibilities in life, have the luxury of sitting at home and condemning those politicians no matter what decision they make because there will always be a piece of advice which contradicts their actions.

That seems to be the way society works from what I can see.

Is this from your high moral self made throne ?

The gov has constantly said they are ACTING on that advice!

Climb down, or more realistically climb out the hole you usually find yourself on here