Coronavirus

faraway saint

14 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

What is a bastion of journalism, The National ?

I always find it interesting that every political party has an issue with the BBC ?

Journalistic quality nowadays is pretty poor overall and understandably each publication has it's own agenda.

I like the BBC, but, like other media outlets, it's standards have fallen in recent years.

Why mention The National? Do you read it?

Edited by FTOF

2 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Journalistic quality nowadays is pretty poor overall and understandably each publication has it's own agenda.

I like the BBC, but, like other media outlets, it's standards have fallen in recent years.

Why mention The National? Do you read it?

Overall the quality of reporting, and I'm mainly talking about TV as I don't purchase any newspapers, has been poor.

Like you I feel the BBC has dropped it's standards.

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

I think you do have a legitimate point here. The UK governments handling of this has been shambolic but Scotland hasn't been much better. 

Listened to Sturgeon earlier saying it was not a mistake to not use the new TTI approach back in March, despite clear evidence from other countries of its success. She has positioned herself far too close to the UK government and not challenged nearly enough.

Her communication, on the surface, has been better, but when you get underneath that, there is little substance or integrity to her approach. Isolating healthy people while not finding out where the virus is has been a massive mistake.

Both governments may well say that they were being advised of hundreds of thousands of deaths within a short time frame and there wasn't time to test but they should have been testing well before that. I think that will be the biggest lesson if we want to be better at containing the spread of the next virus.

As I said elsewhere, with everyone in the world running low on PPE I actually don't think shortages could have been realistically avoided. That's a real worry because it's clear we've come as close as we can do to the NHS falling apart because of this. What on earth happens if we get another pandemic bigger than this one?

We've been very fortunate with covid.

1 hour ago, lenziebud said:

I always find it interesting that every political party has an issue with the BBC ?

Not a political party as such, but I find it difficult to believe that Better Together could have had even the slightest gripe with the BBC in 2014 given that it was virtually its campaign machine! 
The BBC disgusted me back then and I’ve never forgotten it. 

1 minute ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Not a political party as such, but I find it difficult to believe that Better Together could have had even the slightest gripe with the BBC in 2014 given that it was virtually its campaign machine! 
The BBC disgusted me back then and I’ve never forgotten it. 

Did the BBC change your mind to their way of thinking ? 

1 minute ago, shull said:

Did the BBC change your mind to their way of thinking ? 

Not mine no, but I pretty sure they swayed the minds of less informed people. I genuinely don’t mean that in an arrogant way. The demographic that won the vote for Better Together was the over 65s. It just so happens that (generally speaking and not in all cases) that age group are probably the age group that rely far more heavily on the mainstream media to help them form their views. 

32 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Pleasant surprise today as the numbers drop to 288 from 315.

Even better now that care homes are being taken into account.

Still early days but these are the kind of numbers that, if they can be sustained, will make it easier to move the current measures. 

There is a lag with the death figures, the most important figure for release of lockdown is new cases. On Saturday, this was around 4,800 - even accounting for the increase in testing, this is alarming, given Germany, who have consistently tested more than us, were at fewer than 1000.

Guest TPAFKATS
I'm afraid that's not true.
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/5508304/coronavirus-scotland-medical-staff-nhs-ppe-shortage/
There have been reported Shortages in Scotland going back a few weeks at least.
1. It's the Sun so best start by assuming it's not accurate.
2. They acknowledge early in the article its care homes they are talking about. There are no hospitals or health boards mentioned.
3. Its unions sabre rattling, including my my own union which isn't mentioned in that specific article. They do at least acknowledge that it will be difficult to prove anyone caught covid19 from not having appropriate PPE as the virus is a pandemic and rife amongst the population.

Anecdotally there are claims that access to some ppe may have been difficult on occasion in certain hospitals. This included an intensive care consultant who claimed in daily record I think, there was no eye protection at Queen Elizabeth in Govan.
The health board, greater Glasgow and Clyde denied this was the case. His biggest gripe seemed to be no one had answered his email for 9 days.

There hasn't actually been no PPE for staff in NHS Scotland... Yet. It may come to that though due to world wide demand if there is another increase in cases resulting in folk being hospitalised.

Care homes are an entirely different story.

Just checked today's figures - over 3900 new cases, compared with around 1100 / 1200 for Spain and Italy, and just 81 for Germany. Those figures need to be much lower to consider releasing of the lockdown soon.

Of course, had BoJo stopped flights into the country, not allowed large scale events to go ahead in March, closed building sites, etc etc etc, we would probably have low numbers and already be out of lockdown.

BoJo keeps on saying Covid is the enemy and we're at war with it. Does that make him a war criminal?

Edited by Hendo

13 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Just checked today's figures - over 3900 new cases, compared with around 1100 / 1200 for Spain and Italy, and just 81 for Germany. Those figures need to be much lower to consider releasing of the lockdown soon.

Of course, had BoJo stopped flights into the country, not allowed large scale events to go ahead in March, allowed building sites to stay open, etc etc etc, we would probably have low numbers and already be out of lockdown.

BoJo keeps on saying Covid is the enemy and we're at war with it. Does that make him a war criminal?

Spain and Italy are approx 2-3 weeks ahead of us in every stat. 

Therefore of you go back 2-3 weeks their new cases are similar to ours.

Other countries didn't stop flights, including Italy.

Italy stopped all sports events on 9th March. Our last game was 2 days later. 

Every government leader could come under that idiotic term,

PS I do agree our lockdown should have been more stringent and we probably would have seen lower numbers although Italy was vert strict.

Apologies for using Italy, it was only in response to your references to them. 

Apples and oranges. 

Edited by faraway saint

50 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Not mine no, but I pretty sure they swayed the minds of less informed people. I genuinely don’t mean that in an arrogant way. The demographic that won the vote for Better Together was the over 65s. It just so happens that (generally speaking and not in all cases) that age group are probably the age group that rely far more heavily on the mainstream media to help them form their views. 

Very arrogant :lol:

Guest TPAFKATS
There is a lag with the death figures, the most important figure for release of lockdown is new cases. On Saturday, this was around 4,800 - even accounting for the increase in testing, this is alarming, given Germany, who have consistently tested more than us, were at fewer than 1000.

Eventually the knob from arbroath will get it right with his predictions regarding deaths. 

Still doesn't seem to understand the delay in reporting that occurs every weekend. It will be worse considering its a holiday today and there's another holiday coming up on Friday.

As you say, it's particularly worrying that we are still getting so many new cases reported after 6 weeks of "lockdown".

2. They acknowledge early in the article its care homes they are talking about. There are no hospitals or health boards mentioned.
3. Its unions sabre rattling, including my my own union which isn't mentioned in that specific article. They do at least acknowledge that it will be difficult to prove anyone caught covid19 from not having appropriate PPE as the virus is a pandemic and rife amongst the population.

Anecdotally there are claims that access to some ppe may have been difficult on occasion in certain hospitals. This included an intensive care consultant who claimed in daily record I think, there was no eye protection at Queen Elizabeth in Govan.
The health board, greater Glasgow and Clyde denied this was the case. His biggest gripe seemed to be no one had answered his email for 9 days.

There hasn't actually been no PPE for staff in NHS Scotland... Yet. It may come to that though due to world wide demand if there is another increase in cases resulting in folk being hospitalised.

What's this 'Queen Elizabeth in Govan' you talk about, do you mean the Southern?

[emoji846]

8 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Eventually the knob from arbroath will get it right with his predictions regarding deaths.

As you say, it's particularly worrying that we are still getting so many new cases reported after 6 weeks of "lockdown".

@TPAFKATS what predictions exactly?

You're a real hard man, all this name calling is making me scared. 

Away and make up some more whoppers, it's what you do. :lol:

Edited by faraway saint

50 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I'm aware there's a lag but todays the lowest number since late March.

The rolling average is on a downward trend on fatalities and cases, albeit pretty slow. 

1 hour ago, TPAFKATS said:

The article did have thread running through it which read as a mouthpiece for slimy lawyers touting for business.

The care homes matter depends largely on the companies that run them and whether they invested in PPE (or were capable of doing so) and how early they implemented isolation of residents.

Guest TPAFKATS
The article did have thread running through it which read as a mouthpiece for slimy lawyers touting for business.
The care homes matter depends largely on the companies that run them and whether they invested in PPE (or were capable of doing so) and how early they implemented isolation of residents.

I appreciate not all care homes are the same, however many owners have a reputation for not being the best with regards staffing, safety and infection control.

I'm sure it'll all come out in the wash, or rather the inquiry.