Coronavirus

faraway saint

23 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I support independence, but I think the Scottish Government performance on this has been exposed. When you get behind the spin, their performance has, IMO, been almost as lamentable as the clown shoes government in Westminster. Lack of PPE, lack of testing, lockdown rules that don't make sense, financial "support" that is a mirage. Sturgeon talks better and gives off an aura of being more competent, but it doesn't mean she's doing a good job.

They certainly haven't coped with it as well as I (or many others) would have expected, but I don't believe they are any way as bad as the shambles down south.

I've know a few people who despise Sturgeon and vehemently disagree with independence, and, on the face of it, they believe that the Scottish response overall has been significantly better.

By the way do you have proof of your assertions?:rolleyes:

16 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Overall, as this is a very unique situation, this has been a monumental task.

Errors have been made, some having more impact than others but it's a no win situation as some people are only highlighting the errors, ignoring the positives.

No surprise really, it's what some people do. 

I can think of the furlough scheme, but after that it becomes difficult to find any positives that have had a significant impact on improving the situation.

Since the Furlough scheme was announced, legal companies have been running webinars for HR and company directors to help them understand how best to operate with it.

kinda worryingly, there appears to be no more on that subject.

And the subject being most sold and presented is now on that of redundancy.

Soon as the Chancellor pulls the plug on furloughs it’ll be carnage out there.  :(

for me, far too many BIG companies - who could have absorbed the furlough costs in-house - have taken that public money, leaving far too little for the majority of (smaller) firms.

Rishi Sunak should have targeted better.

Edited by antrin

12 minutes ago, antrin said:

Since the Furlough scheme was announced, legal companies have been running webinars for HR and company directors to help them understand how best to operate with it.

kinda worryingly, there appears to be no more on that subject.

And the subject being most sold and presented is now on that of redundancy.

Soon as the Chancellor pulls the plug on furloughs it’ll be carnage out there.  :(

for me, far too many BIG companies - who could have absorbed the furlough costs in-house - have taken that public money, leaving far too little for the majority of (smaller) firms.

Rishi Sunak should have targeted better.

I wish I'd never read that word! :hammer If only there was a ReaLife MIB pen that could erase it from my memory. 🖊️

38 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I can think of the furlough scheme, but after that it becomes difficult to find any positives that have had a significant impact on improving the situation.

Support schemes for business's include loans, tax relief and cash grants.

Self employed can receive grants for 3 months, similar to the furlough scheme.

Schooling for children of key workers.

3 months mortgage relief. 

That's off the top of my head.

Wonderful time to drive for me. 

No rushhours whatsoever. 

Every day is a Sunday morning. 

Also , the majority of potholes have been smoothed. 

And St Mirren huvnae lost for fecking ages. 

Edited by shull

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

1  No.

2 Yes.

Hmm, I think you'll find the general public hear what they want to hear. No politician can tell the truth because the media take it out of context and misrepresent. Ask any politician out there !

That is what people like Farage, Trump, Johnston exploit.

The truth about COVID-19 will never fully come out either

Edited by lenziebud

21 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Support schemes for business's include loans, tax relief and cash grants.

Self employed can receive grants for 3 months, similar to the furlough scheme.

Schooling for children of key workers.

3 months mortgage relief. 

That's off the top of my head.

All very laudable and very much talked about on here in the early days and, as Antrin mentions, it will be interesting to see what transpires when the three months are up. The unseemly rush to relax restrictions in England, might just have something to do with the deadline.:rolleyes:

However, any positives relating to the key issues at the front line in managing the viral infection itself, are far outweighed by the negatives IMO.

https://www.consultancy.uk/news/24211/uk-and-us-mishandle-covid-19-despite-supposed-preparedness

Reading that, I believe the Global Health security index might have review their assessment procedure, or add another category "having a halfwit as your leader and a cabinet full of lying incompetents" to their list of factors .:rolleyes:

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

All very laudable and very much talked about on here in the early days and, as Antrin mentions, it will be interesting to see what transpires when the three months are up. The unseemly rush to relax restrictions in England, might just have something to do with the deadline.:rolleyes:

However, any positives relating to the key issues at the front line in managing the viral infection itself, are far outweighed by the negatives IMO.

Any of these things, especially the furlough scheme, can't go on forever and obviously when they are removed there will be some casualties, but not as many as there would have been if they weren't in place.

We, the UK, are not unique in this and what happens here will be replicated all over the world.

Aye, it'll be interesting and not in a good way for many. :(

12 minutes ago, FTOF said:

https://www.consultancy.uk/news/24211/uk-and-us-mishandle-covid-19-despite-supposed-preparedness

Reading that, I believe the Global Health security index might have review their assessment procedure, or add another category "having a halfwit as your leader and a cabinet full of lying incompetents" to their list of factors .:rolleyes:

As long as I have been alive and what political party is in power that is all I've ever heard the vast majority of people say ?

My mate deals with a lot of these people in his job and whilst he might not agree with their politics is on the whole hugely impressed and at times blown away with the quality of these people. 

One thing, well there's lots TBH, that I didn't foresee was the high levels of worry/concern that has built up resulting in many people not wanting to venture out under ANY circumstances while there is no vaccine.

There was a post on here a few weeks ago that a members family were in that boat.

My daughter in law, who removed two granddaughters from school over week before the schools closed, has not let them out, even for a walk, since the current lockdown was put in place. 

While I think that's unnecessary everyone see's things differently as is their right.

So, even when things, certain business's, are allowed to open back up there will be a considerable number, and no, I don't have figures, who will simply still be in lockdown until a vaccine is made available. 

:(

Edited by faraway saint

4 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Just like her tax policy (1% above the Tories) she'll be 1% stricter on easing lockdown - there's really no mystery to Sturgeon. BJ will continue to test Abe Lincoln's apocryphal theory about fooling people.

What I want to know is how she keeps her hair so naturally red, not a grey hair in sight and so well coiffured........... is there a social distancing question in there somewhere?

She should come out of the closet!

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Any of these things, especially the furlough scheme, can't go on forever and obviously when they are removed there will be some casualties, but not as many as there would have been if they weren't in place.

We, the UK, are not unique in this and what happens here will be replicated all over the world.

Aye, it'll be interesting and not in a good way for many. :(

Furlough scheme to be extended until October and at the current 80%.

Never seen that percentage being maintained. 

Not seen or heard any real details at this point. 

Edited by faraway saint

Fudged..................:lol:

The TUC has welcomed Sunak’s announcement. This is from Frances O’Grady, its general secretary.

"We are pleased ministers have listened to unions and extended the job retention scheme to the autumn. This will be a big relief for millions.

Changing the rules to allow part-time working is key to enabling a gradual and safe return to work. And maintaining the rate at 80% is a win for the pay packets of working families."

Why the laughing emoji? (was it just your primitive Pavlovian reflex whilst posting?)

"Fudge" is a perfectly good word to describe the political response from Sunak. 

His job in these days will be hellish. There will be unimaginable numbers made redundant, businesses folding, people struggling.

Sunak's move is great in the interim and rightly applauded by TUC, but it will not be an infinite scheme.

I really don't understand what you see as laughable in this.

3 minutes ago, antrin said:

Why the laughing emoji? (was it just your primitive Pavlovian reflex whilst posting?)

"Fudge" is a perfectly good word to describe the political response from Sunak. 

His job in these days will be hellish. There will be unimaginable numbers made redundant, businesses folding, people struggling.

Sunak's move is great in the interim and rightly applauded by TUC, but it will not be an infinite scheme.

I really don't understand what you see as laughable in this.

Fudge is nowhere near a good word, it is a detrimental term.

I hope this helps.

Laughing, always like to laugh, better than being a torn faced cnut. :byebye

4 hours ago, lenziebud said:

1. Hmm, I think you'll find the general public hear what they want to hear. No politician can tell the truth because the media take it out of context and misrepresent. Ask any politician out there !

2.That is what people like Farage, Trump, Johnston exploit.

3. The truth about COVID-19 will never fully come out either

1. To an extent people are primed to hear conformational bias, that doesn't mean "no politician can tell the truth" and it's completely legitimate that they have to defend their policies even from hostile parties - complaints about media bias usually come from the losing party and that's been the case as long as I remember.

2. Populist NewRight "Common Sense" politicians - a limited range of the spectrum .

3. Yes it will, just like we eventually did confirm Hitler had but one testicle..

20 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Todays number back in the higher area, 627. 

:(

Which only confirms that stattos are all out erm at home getting blootered at the weekend, for something as important as this pandemic you'd think the government could have payed a bit of OT. The numbers the DoH are putting out on a daily basis are as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Edited by Bud the Baker

15 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

1. To an extent people are primed to hear conformational bias, that doesn't mean "no politician can tell the truth" and it's completely legitimate that they have to defend their policies even from hostile parties - complaints about media bias usually come from the losing party and that's been the case as long as I remember.

2. Populist NewRight "Common Sense" politicians - a limited range of the spectrum .

3. Yes it will, just like we eventually did confirm Hitler had but one testicle..

BBC and Tory party ?

I think we are looking at the next Prime Minister in the current Chancellor.

Extending the furlough AND maintaining the 80% is going to be a huge boost for business and employees.

He's right to hold the reduction to 60% until some release of the lockdown has happened.

5 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Which only confirms that stattos are all out erm at home getting blootered at the weekend, for something as important as this pandemic you'd think the government could have payed a bit of OT. The numbers the DoH are putting out on a daily basis are as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Are people still quoting these fecking daily numbers and thinking they are meaningful? :1eye

These numbers haven't been trustworthy since we found out they weren't including deaths outside hospitals.