Coronavirus

faraway saint

1 minute ago, Cookie Monster said:

We're not in control of immigration where in 5 days time most entering the UK will be required to self isolate for 14 days.

Ehhhhh why didn't we have that from say.... 25th February

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/25/britons-returning-coronavirus-italy-self-isolate-quarantine-regions

Before it was cancelled on the 13th March

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/priti-patel-coronavirus-self-isolate-travellers-uk-new-york-italy-china-a9446381.html

PS, If I go on holiday and return, I've got an exemption from self isolation due to my work status. emoji6.png

You're not saying that immigration has been a major factor in the disastrous numbers in Scotland? 

This self isolation is a nonsense.

There's been planeloads of people flying into the country since this began and no proof it made any difference.

Especially in London where disease ridden people were being flown in daily, seemingly. 

Your work status will be irrelevant very soon as Joe public will be allowed to go anywhere and return within a couple of months IMO. :wink:

On 5/25/2020 at 8:23 PM, oaksoft said:

Get over yourself you sanctimonious prick. 🤣

People are allowed to hold different opinions from you without being stupid.

59 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

There are no "experts" in covid19 anywhere in the world. It's a new virus which is only about 6 months old.

Science is still trying to fathom out how it works. Normally those involved would have the luxury of having all these opposing and interesting arguments behind closed doors until a firm view emerges. Only then would the public be informed. There's good reason for that. The average Joe wants certainty but it's not the job of science to provide that. Unfortunately science is having to be too close to the coalface with covid and the average Joe wrongly believes it IS the job of science to provide certainty so we have posts like we've seen on this forum and elsewhere with ignoramuses using phrases like "so-called experts".

You clouldnae make it up. :lol:

23 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

TBH I thought the numbers would have dropped more by now but certainly no 2nd wave in sight. 

Given the incubation period it is too early for the second wave to show in the population and we still have to get through another winter, probably without a vaccine.  Most epidemics experience a second wave and it's doubtful if Covid 19 will buck the trend.  Today the number of new number of cases reported as less than 2,000 but the official "estimate" is over 8,000 a day.  Today the stats show that the rate of infection is "not coming down fast" and that the drop in the number of daily deaths has stalled.  Still a bit of a way to go, sadly.

11 minutes ago, rabuddies said:

Given the incubation period it is too early for the second wave to show in the population and we still have to get through another winter, probably without a vaccine.  Most epidemics experience a second wave and it's doubtful if Covid 19 will buck the trend.  Today the number of new number of cases reported as less than 2,000 but the official "estimate" is over 8,000 a day.  Today the stats show that the rate of infection is "not coming down fast" and that the drop in the number of daily deaths has stalled.  Still a bit of a way to go, sadly.

I'm aware this much heralded "2nd wave/spike" is unlikely to materialise, if at all, close to the release of the lockdown.

It's the political points scorers or scaremongers who are hoping there is. 

Can you show me this "official estimate".

As for the rate of infection, why do you think it's not coming down? 

If there's more testing and the new cases, accurate or not, are coming down doesn't that suggest the rate of infection is also coming down? 

PS I'd hoped the numbers would have come down now by following the trends in other countries. 

Edited by faraway saint

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

There are no "experts" in covid19 anywhere in the world. It's a new virus which is only about 6 months old.

Science is still trying to fathom out how it works. Normally those involved would have the luxury of having all these opposing and interesting arguments behind closed doors until a firm view emerges. Only then would the public be informed. There's good reason for that. The average Joe wants certainty but it's not the job of science to provide that. Unfortunately science is having to be too close to the coalface with covid and the average Joe wrongly believes it IS the job of science to provide certainty so we have posts like we've seen on this forum and elsewhere with ignoramuses using phrases like "so-called experts".

I'd like to think that science can provide certainty but I'm happy to take your word for it's intrinsic falibility

You're not saying that immigration has been a major factor in the disastrous numbers in Scotland? 
This self isolation is a nonsense.
There's been planeloads of people flying into the country since this began and no proof it made any difference.
Especially in London where disease ridden people were being flown in daily, seemingly. 
Your work status will be irrelevant very soon as Joe public will be allowed to go anywhere and return within a couple of months IMO. :wink:

Immigration was the wrong word, international arrivals was the words I meant. [emoji106]

Looking at hospice deaths in the ONS weekly stats is a good indication of how covid deaths are being inflated in order to cover up the thousands of collateral deaths caused by the lockdown.

The average weekly number of deaths in a hospice in England & Wales was 576 over the past 5 years.

For the first 12 weeks of this year, the average was 580.

From weeks 13 to 21 this year, the average number of weekly deaths in a hospice has been 516.

In other words, there have been no excess deaths in hospices during this crisis, Indeed, there have been over 500 fewer than you would normally expect.

Yet, 578 of Covid deaths during this crisis have been in hospices. That 578 gets lumped in as part of the explanation of the overall excess number of deaths.

If Covid is getting added to the death certificate of terminally ill people in hospices, where there have been no excess deaths, it’s quite easy to imagine how many other death certificates have had Covid added despite it not being the cause of death.

Covid deaths are being deliberately inflated in order to cover up the tens of thousands of collateral deaths caused by lockdown. 

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

There's more to this. I wonder if he's replying to a typically obnoxious press question such as whether he wants to "apologise for the dead" or something equally disgraceful. I wonder if the press in Sweden are as scummy as ours?

In the same article it says,

"However, he was unclear what Sweden should have done differently and at a press conference later on Wednesday later he underlined that "we basically still think that is the right strategy for Sweden"."

Ah, so @Cookie Monster has made an arse of it

yet again 😂

4 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Scotland with a population of 5.4m has had 2,386 deaths with a severe lockdown. 

I make that we've done worse than them.

I know we're back to oranges and apples but it's interesting, and I'm not saying that we shouldn't have done what we have just pointing out the marked difference. 

I think @Cookie Monster must have had the same Maths teacher as the homophobic @TPAFKATS

😂😂

4 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

BBC News - Coronavirus: Sweden's Tegnell admits too many died
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52903717

Sweden's controversial decision not to impose a strict lockdown in response to the Covid-19 pandemic led to too many deaths, the man behind the policy, Anders Tegnell, has acknowledged.

Sweden has seen a far higher mortality rate than its nearest neighbours and its nationals are being barred from crossing their borders.

Sweden has counted 4,542 deaths and 40,803 infections in a population of 10 million, while Denmark, Norway and Finland have imposed lockdowns and seen far lower rates.

Denmark has seen 580 deaths, Norway has had 237 deaths and Finland 321.

Now he has told Swedish public radio: "If we were to encounter the same disease again, knowing exactly what we know about it today, I think we would settle on doing something in between what Sweden did and what the rest of the world has done."

So basically don't listen to anyone known as #thichasfcuk

Last paragraph of the article you’ve quoted contradicts your last sentence.

You’re not very bright 😂😂

4 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Squirming about as self proclaimed "experts" and scientists are all over the place.

The government and public don't know what the feck to do as we get conflicting information almost on a daily basis.

What is the job of science in this situation....................apart from producing lots of papers that invariably turn out to be wrong? 

That 3rd paragraph asks a great question.

The problem is that your first 2 paragraphs indicate you are not interested in asking it in good faith and that after 2 months of being a dick about all this, you haven't changed at all.

Do you want to engage in a discussion about this like adults, with someone who actually has some experience of being in science or not?

3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

That 3rd paragraph asks a great question.

The problem is that your first 2 paragraphs indicate you are not interested in asking it in good faith and that after 2 months of being a dick about all this, you haven't changed at all.

Do you want to engage in a discussion about this like adults, with someone who actually has some experience of being in science or not?

Quite ironic, calling people "dicks" and "ignoramuses" shows that after 14 years of being a tosser you haven't changed.

It's been shown over the last few months umpteen scientist have been so far wrong they are as good as useless, not all, just some, and that includes you. 

Now, behave yourself or I'll rob your house of all the fecking toilet rolls you've stored over the last few months. 

If you can'y handle criticism pop off. 

9 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Yet ANOTHER boffin giving us conflicting advice..................... @Bud the Baker

This has been one of the constants since this started, so called "experts" spouting out their version of safe advice.

The highlighted bit was heavily flouted early doors, before the major lockdown was in place. 

Professor Robert Dingwall, a Government adviser on Covid-19, said scientists backing the two-metre rule were relying too heavily on "experimental lab work that doesn't translate into a real world setting".

Prof Dingwall, an advocate of reducing social distancing to one metre, said that too many scientists were basing their calculations for safe distancing on transmission of the disease in the laboratory, failing to take into account real world conditions in which air flow played a huge part in dispersing the virus. He believes there is almost zero risk of catching Covid-19 outdoors and that one metre is sufficient for maintaining a safe social distance.

If you look back you'll see I posted this in more detail last week, some countries like the UK went for 2.0m, some 1.5m, others went for the WHO recommended 1.0m that the Tory right wing are currently agitating for.

Nobody knows what the right answers are yet but we're sure as hell not going to get them quickly from this government unless it improves it's ramshackle approach to data gathering - it's over 4 months since the first Cobra meeting on the pandemic and they're still not getting the basics right.

Try a bit harder next time and maybe you'll post something interesting...:snore