Coronavirus

faraway saint

4 hours ago, Sue Denim said:

@oaksoft this graph is my own with the data for England taken from ONS, Scotland from NRS and Sweden from statista.com

9BD7A460-3A18-4A26-B25C-47800B5F837A.jpeg

Now just imagine how much higher the blue and red lines would be without a lockdown? If a country that's bigger than the UK but with a significantly lower population, far more single occupancy properties and fewer multi-generation households has been shown to have made a mistake in not locking down the population, imagine what would have happened to London!? If you don't want to imagine, have a look at what's happening in similar populated US areas that have dramatically eased lock-down. 

New Covid19 cases Sweden over last week reporting - 6,340

New Covid19 cases UK over last week reporting - 6,820

Sweden Population and density 10.23 million and 24 per KM

UK population and density  66.65 million and 274 per KM (England 430 per KM!!) 

:whistle

4 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Your making a fool of yourself again. 

Be a man and admit you don't have a clue, it was only recently you were quite convinced the UK would havev 100,000 deaths by the end of the year. 

It's ok to be wrong, no need to resort to making shit up to cover up your inadequacy. 

Watching you struggle throughout this pandemic with basic stuff has been like watching my old grandad try to figure out how to send an email. 

"Login grandad"

"What does login mean?"

"Just press the button"

"OK now what?"

"Enter your address and password. Just like it's f**......just like it's asking you"

"It's not working"

"Hang on let me see.....oh FFS Grandad you need your EMAIL address not your postal address"

Just now, oaksoft said:

Watching you struggle throughout this pandemic with basic stuff has been like watching my old grandad try to figure out how to send an email. 

"Login grandad"

"What does login mean?"

"Just press the button"

"OK now what?"

"Enter your address and password. Just like it's f**......just like it's asking you"

"It's not working"

"Hang on let me see.....oh FFS Grandad you need your EMAIL address not your postal address"

More diversion, you're having a nightmare. :lol:

WHO warns 'the worst is yet to come'

The head of the World Health Organization has warned that the coronavirus pandemic is not even close to being over.

It has now been six months since the first cases of a mysterious pneumonia-like illness were reported in Wuhan, China.

At the time it was feared that we would see a repeat of the Sars outbreak of 2002 to 2004, which killed 774 people.

Now, with more than 500,000 people dead and more than 10 million confirmed cases worldwide, WHO director-general Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus has said this is "a moment for all of us to reflect".

But, he warned, the "worst is yet to come" - adding that "with this kind of environment and conditions, we fear the worst".

Despite progress in some countries, he said the pandemic was speeding up and the world would need even greater stores of resilience, patience and generosity in the months ahead.

"Six months ago, none of us could have imagined how our world - and our lives - would be thrown into turmoil by this new virus," Dr Tedros told the WHO press conference.

Given the divergence in numbers North and South of the border I'm not sure the UK figures have much relevance to us anymore. We have managed to get to near elimination and that was the SGs strategy. I don't think they have a strategy / target / ambition in England. If they have they are very reluctant to divulge.

Today's number, 25, here's hoping the rest of the week gets closer to a daily total of 100, or lower.
Small steps and all that. 

11 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Given the divergence in numbers North and South of the border I'm not sure the UK figures have much relevance to us anymore. We have managed to get to near elimination and that was the SGs strategy. I don't think they have a strategy / target / ambition in England. If they have they are very reluctant to divulge.

While the numbers in Scotland have been encouraging you surely have to remember the difference in population, density etc? 

The numbers in England have been dropping, despite what some people prefer to talk about, dramatically over the last month.

There's also the continued issues with the economy.

Edited by faraway saint

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

While the numbers in Scotland have been encouraging you surely have to remember the difference in population, density etc? 

The numbers in England have been dropping, despite what some people prefer to talk about, dramatically over the last month.

We appear to have about 5% of the cases in England and also 5% of the deaths.

On the surface, given that we have 10% of the population, that looks like a clear win for Scotland's approach but as you rightly say, we simply don't have either the population densities that England has or the population movements that England has. You then have an almost completely different climate between where the bulk of Scots live and where the bulk of English live which will affect things. Those three things will easily account for the rest of the difference.

IMO, there is simply no statistically significant difference between Scotland or England on any measure and any attempt to play politics over this is intellectually flawed.

Despite my enthusiasm to get this lockdown lifted, I still think lockdown had an effect but I am open to persuasion on that. There are some countries which have been thoroughly pumped like the USA but there's differing approaches being used in South America but all of those countries seem to be going through similar cycles so it's worth being open minded about it.

Edited by oaksoft

We appear to have about 5% of the cases in England and also 5% of the deaths.
On the surface, given that we have 10% of the population, that looks like a clear win for Scotland's approach but as you rightly say, we simply don't have either the population densities that England has or the population movements that England has. You then have an almost completely different climate between where the bulk of Scots live and where the bulk of English live which will affect things. Those three things will easily account for the rest of the difference.
IMO, there is simply no statistically significant difference between Scotland or England on any measure and any attempt to play politics over this is intellectually flawed.
Despite my enthusiasm to get this lockdown lifted, I still think lockdown had an effect but I am open to persuasion on that. There are some countries which have been thoroughly pumped like the USA but there's differing approaches being used in South America but all of those countries seem to be going through similar cycles so it's worth being open minded about it.
But according to #thichasfcuk its seasonal so Scotland should be affected more, but we aren't.

Yeah I know he's not the best example to use. [emoji6]

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

"While we're on Sweden, and I'm not defending their decision, have around twice the population of Scotland with, approx, 20% more fatalities.

If they are having a nightmare, with no lockdown and the economy in a better state than most, then what does that suggest about Scotland?"

Double standards?

1 minute ago, bazil85 said:

"While we're on Sweden, and I'm not defending their decision, have around twice the population of Scotland with, approx, 20% more fatalities.

If they are having a nightmare, with no lockdown and the economy in a better state than most, then what does that suggest about Scotland?"

Double standards?

Very different countries and people. The swedes are a strange mix of the pragmatic and the wistful. Having spent time in different parts of the country, in different cities and towns they also mix a strong common purpose and at the same time value individuality. Different to here but closer to the Scottish mentality than the English. They are also generous and welcoming and have taken in many more migrants than others in relation to the population. This is the home of the Volvo and the Saab. (and Ikea). 

7 hours ago, bazil85 said:

Double standards?

Eh? :blink:

Leicester back in lockdown.
Good decision, it has happened in other countries.
Interesting to see that this spike is predominantly amongst younger working age people yet they don't seem able to identify a source or link. Tracing clearly not working particularly well regardless of the spin that this is T&T in action. Also reports of a similar flare up on the Costa del Sol so makes perfect sense to set up an air corridor with Malaga this week !!!!!

25 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:
1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Interesting to see that this spike is predominantly amongst younger working age people yet they don't seem able to identify a source or link. Tracing clearly not working particularly well regardless of the spin that this is T&T in action. Also reports of a similar flare up on the Costa del Sol so makes perfect sense to set up an air corridor with Malaga this week !!!!!

What numbers for this "spike" in Spain? 

Just now, faraway saint said:

I'm at work, don't have time, GIFRUY. 🤪

I'm not.:booty

Think I'll do a bit of sunbathing later.<_<

I saw some pictures from a similar lockdown in Germany and they had actually fenced off some of the affected areas, presumably to stop the population circulating with less affected areas.

I can't see that going down to well with the general public in the UK.

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Saints said:
2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

57 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Not quite the drama @Ayrshire Saints was trying to make out as the majority were in a red cross centre, now closed. 

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

I'm not.:booty

Think I'll do a bit of sunbathing later.<_<

I saw some pictures from a similar lockdown in Germany and they had actually fenced off some of the affected areas, presumably to stop the population circulating with less affected areas.

I can't see that going down to well with the general public in the UK.

I don't know. The UK is very familiar with setting up concentration camps. Set the precedent during the Boer War in South Africa. 

ONS weekly death stats just out. Waiting on the NRS stats. 

First look shows that we are now at NEGATIVE excess deaths.

65 less deaths occurred last week compared with the 5 year average in England & Wales.

This despite 846 COVID deaths mentioned in deaths certificates. 

88 less deaths in England.

Compared with the average deaths in the first 10 weeks of the year before the first COVID death, there were 2,386 LESS deaths last week.

Compared with week 2 in January this year, there were 4,719 LESS deaths. 

Going to be interesting to see how this gets spinned by the media and the lockdown fanatics....

Edited by Sue Denim