Coronavirus

faraway saint

Good article from the Guardian at the beginning of the year.

A man dropping dead in the middle of the street of the virus in Wuhan.

How many folk in the U.K. just dropped dead of the virus whilst walking along the street?

This was the sort of fear the media were spreading at the start which eventually led to the lethal lockdown policy for what is actually just the flu

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/31/a-man-lies-dead-in-the-street-the-image-that-captures-the-wuhan-coronavirus-crisis

On 2/28/2020 at 4:05 PM, Ayrshire Saints said:

I suggest you stock up on tins, tape up the windows and doors and hunker down for a few weeks. Meanwhile in the real world the rest of us will continue about our normal business taking the self same life precautions we always do. The media / social media lead hysteria is off the scale. Imagine if a real plague emerged in the developed world, it would be armageddon stuff. Let's just concentrate on making it to Hampden.

Always amusing to look back on what this village idiot was saying at the start...... before he succumbed to the media / social media led hysteria 😂

53 minutes ago, Sue Denim said:

Always amusing to look back on what this village idiot was saying at the start...... before he succumbed to the media / social media led hysteria 😂

A few were equally culpable SD. 

Words included overreaction etc

On 4/30/2020 at 8:15 AM, faraway saint said:

Captain Tom, raised over £29m, reached the milestone of 100 years old today.

Anyone reaching this age is someone special, his efforts and achievement are something else.

His personality has been a major factor in people donating to his cause, the NHS.

Well done auld yin, many thanks. :thumbs2

Today old Tom is to be knighted by the queen.

Just over £30 million pounds raised for the NHS, deserves every plaudit he receives.

Well done Sir. :clapping

A few were equally culpable SD. 

Words included overreaction etc

Lol I see from you quote I'm still right under his skin. As you say at that time very few thought it would explode worldwide as it did. The only difference between the extremist and the rest of us is that he thinks it still early March and it never actually did happen. I expect someone will quote his usual response that he also seems not to realise I cant see. He likes looking back clearly so he should check his facts properly about the Morrisons incident he likes to quote. As everyone can see for the umpteenth time he's a liar. My wife was present and as she was the emergency worker we were perfectly entitled to enter the shop as we did but hey that doesn't suit his twisted narrative so he makes up that I had somehow acquired my wife's ID and used that to con my way into a shop oh and to boot I also pointed out it was a nonsense.Total lies as normal.

"Just back from Morrisons, bizarre experience. 7.40, huge queue at least 100 folk spaced accordingly round the store into the carpark. Walking by the two security guards controlling it asked what time they opened to be told it was 7 but emergency services only until 8. Great, wife gets her warrant card out and in we get no queuing. Once in there are THREE other folk in the whole store while we get what in effect was a private shopping experience. With the numbers outside that is a total nonsense. Yes have emergency services preference time but if no one is using it ffs let the public in. As usual no toilet roll, tins, pasta, cleaning stuff or rice but ok otherwise. Clearly the supermarkets are having supply chain issues on those items as too few folk to clear them out. Wee shops have plenty thankfully. Oh and no gloves for staff, no trolley disinfecting and staff everywhere in the isles meaning 6ft space is impossible. Either do this thing properly or dont bother !"

4 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Lol I see from you quote I'm still right under his skin. As you say at that time very few thought it would explode worldwide as it did. The only difference between the extremist and the rest of us is that he thinks it still early March and it never actually did happen. I expect someone will quote his usual response that he also seems not to realise I cant see. He likes looking back clearly so he should check his facts properly about the Morrisons incident he likes to quote. As everyone can see for the umpteenth time he's a liar. My wife was present and as she was the emergency worker we were perfectly entitled to enter the shop as we did but hey that doesn't suit his twisted narrative so he makes up that I had somehow acquired my wife's ID and used that to con my way into a shop oh and to boot I also pointed out it was a nonsense.Total lies as normal.

"Just back from Morrisons, bizarre experience. 7.40, huge queue at least 100 folk spaced accordingly round the store into the carpark. Walking by the two security guards controlling it asked what time they opened to be told it was 7 but emergency services only until 8. Great, wife gets her warrant card out and in we get no queuing. Once in there are THREE other folk in the whole store while we get what in effect was a private shopping experience. With the numbers outside that is a total nonsense. Yes have emergency services preference time but if no one is using it ffs let the public in. As usual no toilet roll, tins, pasta, cleaning stuff or rice but ok otherwise. Clearly the supermarkets are having supply chain issues on those items as too few folk to clear them out. Wee shops have plenty thankfully. Oh and no gloves for staff, no trolley disinfecting and staff everywhere in the isles meaning 6ft space is impossible. Either do this thing properly or dont bother !"

Misguided. 

5 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

I hate to get between you and Sue but, as I recall, it WASN'T for emergency services, it was for NHS workers.

See below from the Morrisons website.....................no mention of emergency services.

Morrisons is to introduce an NHS hour at the beginning of every day (apart from Sunday) so that NHS workers can stock up on the products they need.

Many NHS staff have said that they cannot buy the products they need at the beginning or the end of their shift as supermarkets have seen unprecedented demand.

The new hour will be from 7am-8am and a Morrisons colleague will be on the door to let staff with an NHS badge in.

Opening hours for other customers will move from 8am to 8pm from Monday to Saturday. Sundays will continue to have six hours of trading in line with Sunday trading rules.

David Potts, Chief Executive of Morrisons, said: "Staff in the NHS are facing into an unprecedented challenge and we're doing our bit to help them buy their groceries.

"We've seen some nurses and doctors struggling to find what they need and so we're responding with dedicated time for them to shop. The core purpose of our organisation, all 96,537 of us, is to play our full part in feeding the nation, it's more than our job.”

Some good news, I know that's not what some people want to hear, the case and deaths are showing signs of a downward trend in the last week.

Despite the country, that's the UK, having no real lockdown for months, the virus is diminishing. 

Just hope all the business's that have been hit can recover.

I fear widespread job losses in many sectors. 

There will be an upturn but between then and now things could be hard for many people. 

I hate to get between you and Sue but, as I recall, it WASN'T for emergency services, it was for NHS workers.
See below from the Morrisons website.....................no mention of emergency services.

Morrisons is to introduce an NHS hour at the beginning of every day (apart from Sunday) so that NHS workers can stock up on the products they need.

Many NHS staff have said that they cannot buy the products they need at the beginning or the end of their shift as supermarkets have seen unprecedented demand.

The new hour will be from 7am-8am and a Morrisons colleague will be on the door to let staff with an NHS badge in.

Opening hours for other customers will move from 8am to 8pm from Monday to Saturday. Sundays will continue to have six hours of trading in line with Sunday trading rules.

David Potts, Chief Executive of Morrisons, said: "Staff in the NHS are facing into an unprecedented challenge and we're doing our bit to help them buy their groceries.

"We've seen some nurses and doctors struggling to find what they need and so we're responding with dedicated time for them to shop. The core purpose of our organisation, all 96,537 of us, is to play our full part in feeding the nation, it's more than our job.”

We were told by the guy on the door it was emergency workers. As I said we had no idea such as scheme existed and were not looking for it. I merely asked the guy on the door when they opened as I assumed from the queue forming they weren't to which he responded it was open for emergency services staff. That was it, no more no less, no conning.

10 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:
1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

We were told by the guy on the door it was emergency workers. As I said we had no idea such as scheme existed and were not looking for it. I merely asked the guy on the door when they opened as I assumed from the queue forming they weren't to which he responded it was open for emergency services staff. That was it, no more no less, no conning.

Aye, ok. :lol:

29 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:
44 minutes ago, faraway saint said:
Fingers crossed things go well.
I suppose Scotland will review this next March? 

We will be 10-14 days behind like every other measure, October seems probable and that has always been the timeframe banded about.

Always? :blink:

You might be better to ask wee Nicola...............

Sturgeon told the media: “Football with crowds has not been pencilled in for October. We haven’t taken that decision yet. Jason was simply trying to find a way of saying, ‘Don’t assume it will be October when we get crowds back’.

“So do not take from this that we have given football an October provisional date for crowds being back. That’s not the case and actually I don’t think it’s a fair interpretation of what Jason actually said.”

Edited by faraway saint

Sturgeon told the media: “Football with crowds has not been pencilled in for October. We haven’t taken that decision yet. Jason was simply trying to find a way of saying, ‘Don’t assume it will be October when we get crowds back’.

“So do not take from this that we have given football an October provisional date for crowds being back. That’s not the case and actually I don’t think it’s a fair interpretation of what Jason actually said.”

It confirms October was the date being banded about. The WM announcement today will hasten that. No SG briefing today ???

3 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:
31 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

It confirms October was the date being banded about. The WM announcement today will hasten that. No SG briefing today ???

Aye, ok. :lol:

Aberdeen were "banding about" quite a different story....................Aye, just tried to tune in, wee Nicola is getting blootered in a beer garden, that's the story being banded about. 

Aberdeen got their fans’ hopes up as they announced plans for a partial crowd at Pittodrie in the hope they may be welcoming back supporters for the start of the 2020/21 season.

The Dons have implemented a 7,500 capacity with 6,700 season tickets already sold.

Aye, ok. [emoji38]
Aberdeen were "banding about" quite a different story....................Aye, just tried to tune in, wee Nicola is getting blootered in a beer garden, that's the story being banded about. 

Aberdeen got their fans’ hopes up as they announced plans for a partial crowd at Pittodrie in the hope they may be welcoming back supporters for the start of the 2020/21 season.

The Dons have implemented a 7,500 capacity with 6,700 season tickets already sold.

Smacks of a ploy to shift STs but nothing wrong with that.