Coronavirus

faraway saint

1 hour ago, TPAFKATS said:

You've just admitted that you wear a mask despite being utterly opposed to wearing one.
Who's the sheep?

I explained exactly why I wear one further back in the thread.

I have no wish to make life more difficult for minimum wage staff than it needs to be.

57 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

The guy who always refers to peer reviewed science is you.
Given that this is a new virus, there's going to be a lack of peer reviewed science. I'm happy to go with the view of the majority of scientific experts.

And yet despite this uncertainty, Sturgeon has advised that not wearing masks is punishable by law AND that jumpers will do.

3 minutes ago, Sue Denim said:

displaying your lack of knowledge.

There will never be any randomised controlled experiments conducted on mask effectiveness as you would only use infected individuals, and that means you cannot select your groups at random. 

The Dutch government on Wednesday said it will not advise the public to wear masks to slow the spread of coronavirus, asserting that their effectiveness has not been proven.

The decision was announced by Minister for Medical Care Tamara van Ark after a review by the country's National Institute for Health (RIVM). The government will instead seek better adherence to social distancing rules after a surge in coronavirus cases in the country this week, Van Ark said at a press conference in The Hague.

"Because from a medical perspective there is no proven effectiveness of masks, the Cabinet has decided that there will be no national obligation for wearing non-medical masks" Van Ark said.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN24U2UJ

32 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

You have, glad you have the ability to admit your flaws. emoji6.png

Here's one example.

Face mask use could result in a large reduction in risk of infection (n=2647; aOR 0·15, 95% CI 0·07 to 0·34, RD −14·3%, −15·9 to −10·7; low certainty), with stronger associations with N95 or similar respirators compared with disposable surgical masks or similar (eg, reusable 12–16-layer cotton masks

So the better the mask the greater protection. Think we all would have assumed that, well when I write all I don't envisage those that are #thichasfcuk would have.

So what are the results for the types of masks worn by most people right now?

What are the results for jumpers and scarves?

2 minutes ago, insaintee said:

There will never be any randomised controlled experiments conducted on mask effectiveness as you would only use infected individuals, and that means you cannot select your groups at random. 

And no one actually knows the mechanism of transmission anyway .... as I’ve pointed out repeatedly.

In other words no evidence. 

Edited by Sue Denim

4 minutes ago, insaintee said:

OK I'm sorry but this is total nonsense.

Guest TPAFKATS
And yet despite this uncertainty, Sturgeon has advised that not wearing masks is punishable by law AND that jumpers will do.
Is it a degree or PhD you have in whataboutery?

1 minute ago, TPAFKATS said:
15 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Is it a degree or PhD you have in whataboutery?

Got to marvel at this guy’s irony and lack of self awareness 😂

This guy studied the transmission of respiratory viruses for 50 years and wrote this book and asked a load of questions. Fast forward to today and we’ve still not got the answers.

Well, apart from @insaintee......🤔

https://www.dropbox.com/s/edn3jjd0a82otsy/11th The Transmission of Influenza BOOK.pdf?dl=0

Edited by Sue Denim

maybe @insaintee can help them out cos he knows the answers.....

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/coronavirus-argentina-fishermen-trawler-ushuaia-covid19-echizen-maru-a9621716.html%3famp

Coronavirus: Fishermen test positive despite spending 35 days at sea and testing negative before they left

hospital’s head of infectious diseases, Leandro Ballatore, told AFP he believed this is a “case that escapes all description in publications”

39 minutes ago, Sue Denim said:

https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/5/4/e006577

Cloth masks increase infection 

It's a study of health care workers (Participants used the mask on every shift for 4 consecutive weeks.) & what it actually says is......

reuse of cloth masks and poor filtration may result in increased risk of infection

......your policy of deliberately mis-stating what the articles you quote actually say is frustrating & a pity because I think the advice for washing cloth masks is hard to find - I've never heard it mentioned in any of the TV reports I've watched & inadequate mask-hygiene may well be counterproductive.

Spoiler

EWIW - The best info I can find is daily & at 60C 

Edited by Bud the Baker

Guest TPAFKATS
......your policy of deliberately mis-stating what the articles you quote actually say is frustrating & a pity because I think the advice for washing cloth masks is hard to find - I've never heard it mentioned in any of the TV reports I've watched & inadequate mask-hygiene may well be counterproductive.
Spoiler

EWIW - Daily & at 60C 

Andy is a proven liar.

36 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

It's a study of health care workers (Participants used the mask on every shift for 4 consecutive weeks.) & what it actually says is......

Reveal hidden contents

EWIW - The best info I can find is daily & at 60C 

A lot of pedantic irrelevancy just to end up agreeing with me 😉

36 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
38 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:
Spoiler
  Reveal hidden contents

EWIW - Daily & at 60C 

Andy is a proven liar.

Have you found those stats showing excess deaths in England are *almost* 3 times than in Scotland?

I’m still waiting 😂

1 hour ago, Sue Denim said:

A lot of pedantic irrelevancy just to end up agreeing with me 😉

No the article was about routine use (4 weeks) of cloth masks by healthcare workers, your glib summation of the article was deliberately misleading. 

The issue of whether people understand how to keep cloth masks clean for their own and other people's benefit during the current pandemic is a different matter

Edited by Bud the Baker

So what are the results for the types of masks worn by most people right now?

You're suppose to be the brains on here, you work it out (n=2647; aOR 0·15, 95% CI 0·07 to 0·34, RD −14·3%, −15·9 to −10·7; low certainty)[emoji848]

What are the results for jumpers and scarves?

Less than above. [emoji6]