To be perfectly frank, our response is not that much different. Arguably a bit slow in implementing various measures, but ultimately the measures are the same. 

The Imperial collage paper uses the worst case scenarios and compares two different timings of response.  The only thing mildly controversial is a suggested delay in closing schools and universities which the universities and some local authorities'devolved administrations took out of Government hands anyway. 

Geographically, we are a little different to the rest of Europe. We have the advantage of being on an island. Of course some infected people might have came through airports, but we do have that in our favour. Fingers crossed it won't be as bad as we all fear 

Guest TPAFKATS
Really? I guess you think the infected bat eater set off on a world tour visiting Iran and Italy before coming to the Uk? 
For whatever reason the virus hasn't spread to the UK as quickly as it has done elsewhere. Yet you think the UK is the one getting it wrong. I know which view I think is nonsense. 

BTW to put all this in context - only 3 people have died of COVID-19 in Scotland! 
We don't know how quickly it's spreading as we aren't testing. We only know the numbers who die - they will have contracted the virus weeks ago.

48 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
1 hour ago, Dickson said:
Really? I guess you think the infected bat eater set off on a world tour visiting Iran and Italy before coming to the Uk? 
For whatever reason the virus hasn't spread to the UK as quickly as it has done elsewhere. Yet you think the UK is the one getting it wrong. I know which view I think is nonsense. 

BTW to put all this in context - only 3 people have died of COVID-19 in Scotland! 

We don't know how quickly it's spreading as we aren't testing. We only know the numbers who die - they will have contracted the virus weeks ago.

Correct

I'm not well most likely a cold since it hasn't stopped rainning for months

23 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Teachers already leading the way in self malingering.

No surprise there. :thumbsdown

PS This is local schools who are seeing considerable numbers off already. 

Knew it, teachers in short supply............................love a day off do teachers.

44 minutes ago, windae cleaner said:

Correct

I'm not well most likely a cold since it hasn't stopped rainning for months

Aye, I've had cold symptoms for just over a week, if I was a teacher I'd be self isolating.

It should be remembered the vast majority could get/have it and carry on with life. 

20 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Sainsbury's to shut all fresh meat, fish and pizza counters from tomorrow so they can focus on keeping supplies of "more essential " foods moving. Gruel by the end of the month !!!

This will increase the sales of local butchers and fishmongers.

13 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Good, and, as has been mentioned, smaller shops are not getting hammered as much by the loonies.

Downside is they are generally a tad costlier. 

The Butchers in Elderslie ran out of stuff yesterday

Calling in workers from their day off  to meet the demand

Busier than Christmas Eve

Madness

1 minute ago, windae cleaner said:

The Butchers in Elderslie ran out of stuff yesterday

Calling in workers from their day off  to meet the demand

Busier than Christmas Eve

Madness

Just seen a cracking idea on the news, people have been writing/sending letters to residents in care homes.

I'm going to write a letter to my Dad, with work and stuff wasn't getting down as much as possible but as it's closed  for visitors this idea will give me chance to keep in touch. :thumbs2

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Just seen a cracking idea on the news, people have been writing/sending letters to residents in care homes.

I'm going to write a letter to my Dad, with work and stuff wasn't getting down as much as possible but as it's closed  for visitors this idea will give me chance to keep in touch. :thumbs2

Sorry to be a spoil sport... but the virus can survive over 24 hours on paper and be transferred that way, as far as I understand it.

I too thought it was a fantastic idea... but was soon "corrected"! 

Sorry to be a spoil sport... but the virus can survive over 24 hours on paper and be transferred that way, as far as I understand it.

Write on envelope ?

Posted on ( date ) Open 1 week later ?

Similar idea for schools : closing for several weeks : ZERO staff in building for first week : then they can be cleaned safely on week 2 as it’s no longer active on hard surfaces ?

10 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

I have seen figures of 24 hours for cardboard but not paper. Not sure whether this 24 hours is a maximum or an average but the paper I got that from is below. The supplementary information gives the numbers.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2004973?query=featured_home

As an aside, it was interesting to see massive gaps in the alcohol and crisps/nuts aisles tonight.

It strikes me that a lot of people now working from home are seeing this as a bit of a holiday without realising that this could result in mass unemployment if this goes on for more than a few weeks. Besides the panic over empty bog roll aisles, I wonder if the very real potential for absolute carnage to our way of life is truly sinking in yet.

Edited by oaksoft

5 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

But I don't have the virus and it'll take longer than 24 hours to get from me to him? 

No need to thank me, stand "corrected". 

PS I've written half the damn thing anyway, not going to waste ALL that effort. 😜

Edited by faraway saint