Coronavirus

faraway saint

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I'm jumping the gun here a wee bit but the numbers, cases and deaths, seem to be flattening out.

Just to clarify for that dumpling @oaksoft, aye, I'm fed up with the restriction, the unfair restriction on many business but there wouldn't be any need for the current restrictions or anything more severe if people would just do the basics. 

Really simple things would see us revert back to the reasonable state of normality we had a few months ago but that seems to be beyond too many people.

Thanks, arseholes. 

I feel like we did our bit during the initial lockdown but both Holyrood & Westminster let us down by not having an adequate t&t system ready when restrictions were eased and now cases have risen to 20k per day the system is just swamped.

The problem is that even though we're flattening out it's at 20k cases per day (it was just shy of 1k per day for most of July/August) and I don't think we can afford another full lockdown so when can we ease restrictions - when we're down to 10k/day, 5k/day or what?

I'm not saying I have the answers but it seems to me the government don't know what to do and are praying for a successful vaccine as a Get Out of Jail Free Card, I fear we may have to gammon it out!

Edited by Bud the Baker

3 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

I feel like we did our bit during the initial lockdown but both Holyrood & Westminster let us down by not having an adequate t&t system ready when restrictions were eased and now cases have risen to 20k per day the system is just swamped.

The problem is that even though we're flattening out it's at 20k cases per day and I don't think we can afford another full lockdown so when can we ease restrictions - when we're down to 10k/day, 5k/day or what?

I'm not saying I have the answers but it seems to me the government don't know what to do and are praying for a successful vaccine as a "Get Out of Jail Free" card,

So, we don't need to keep doing our bit?

T&T won't stop the spread. 

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I'm jumping the gun here a wee bit but the numbers, cases and deaths, seem to be flattening out.

Just to clarify for that dumpling @oaksoft, aye, I'm fed up with the restriction, the unfair restriction on many business but there wouldn't be any need for the current restrictions or anything more severe if people would just do the basics. 

Really simple things would see us revert back to the reasonable state of normality we had a few months ago but that seems to be beyond too many people.

Thanks, arseholes. 

Nonsense. You should be attacking those who brought in those "unfair restrictions" and not those who stand up to them. Mind you, this is you we're talking about so who knows what goes through your sawdust-filled brain.

55 minutes ago, Yflab said:

I wish they would teach basic fcuking personal finance in schools

Nobody will disagree with you about that.

At some point, someone will need to explain what these parents are prioritising ahead of food because I'm struggling to understand the problem. The BBC reported one woman on £1000 benefits per month but who is unable to feed her kids. Her rent is £580 which leaves £420 a month. The next priority surely is food. What is she spending £420 on if it's not food for a month for her and her two kids? I'm open to persuasion on this.

However, it's all well and good lambasting the hordes of shit parents out there who can't count the coins in their pockets or do basic budgeting but we should never use that as an excuse to punish their kids who are going hungry right now as we speak. That's the line for me.

Edited by oaksoft

8 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Nonsense. You should be attacking those who brought in those "unfair restrictions" and not those who stand up to them. Mind you, this is you we're talking about so who knows what goes through your sawdust-filled brain.

You're having a real bad time, are you ok ***? :lol:

You're the dumpling who doesn't wear a mask, allows customers not to bother, how many people have you put in hospital?

You have the audacity to take no responsibility? 

Best you run away and hide, this is getting silly. 

48 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

So, we don't need to keep doing our bit?

T&T won't stop the spread. 

I don't think that's what I said, but Fairy Nuff, what I meant was that if the government had completed it's part of the bargain by delivering a adequate (not even "world beating" :whistle) t&t system when the cases were low during the summer we might have avoided the second wave.

As I've said many times I'd always advocate taking the cautious approach when it came to wearing masks and re-opening the economy - mixed messages from BJ like saying the worst was over back in May, "go back to your office" in July, "Eat Out to Help Out" & re-opening schools fully both in August, student HoRs (the last two by both Holyrood & Westminster)  in September when much of the work could have been done remotely and a few others that I've criticized on here caused the second wave.

For me the bulk of the blame lies in government failures not ordinary folk "not doing the basics".

T&T can only work when you've got the numbers under control and I don't see us getting back there, so as I said it's pray for a vaccine and gammon it out.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Just now, oaksoft said:

I do wear a mask when I go shopping. What on earth are you talking about?

Not when you, or your precious family, are working and you don't ask customers, whatever they come to you for, to wear one.

Shame on you, 

Keep avoiding it, you're responsible for spreading it, yet you blame government and whine about the restrictions, couldn't make it up. 

21 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

I don't think that's what I implied, but Fairy Nuff, what I meant to say was that if the government had completed it's part of the bargain by delivering a adequate (not world beating :whistle) t&t system when the cases were low during the summer we might have avoided the second wave.

As I've said many times I'd always advocate taking the cautious approach when it came to wearing masks and re-opening the economy - mixed messages from BJ like saying the worst was over back in May, "go back to your office" in July, "Eat Out to Help Out" & re-opening schools fully both in August, student HoRs (both Holyrood & Westminster)  in September when much of the work could have been done remotely and a few others that I've criticized on here caused the second wave.

For me the bulk of the blame lies in government failures not ordinary folk "not doing the basics".

T&T can only work when you've got the numbers under control and I don't see us getting back there, so as I said it's pray for a vaccine and gammon it out.

The economy had to be opened up and the numbers were low enough to do so.

What slowly happened people forgot that the virus was still around and when the basics are not followed it spreads, as we have seen.

What Johnson said/done was not, in itself, the problem, it's people that spread it, no matter how many times you say it isn't. 

Other countries have successfully, with some minor restrictions, opened up the economy.

We can't ignore that, I'm sure there was a considerable attendance at the F1 Grand Prix in Portugal yesterday.

Just now, faraway saint said:

The economy had to be opened up and the numbers were low enough to do so.

What slowly happened people forgot that the virus was still around and when the basics are not followed it spreads, as we have seen.

What Johnson said/done was not, in itself, the problem, it's people that spread it, no matter how many times you say it isn't. 

Other countries have successfully, with some minor restrictions, opened up the economy.

We can't ignore that, I'm sure there was a considerable attendance at the F1 Grand Prix in Portugal yesterday.

Well I'll say it once more...

At some point, someone will need to explain what these parents are prioritising ahead of food because I'm struggling to understand the problem. The BBC reported one woman on £1000 benefits per month but who is unable to feed her kids. Her rent is £580 which leaves £420 a month. The next priority surely is food. What is she spending £420 on if it's not food for a month for her and her two kids? I'm open to persuasion on this.
However, it's all well and good lambasting the hordes of shit parents out there who can't count the coins in their pockets or do basic budgeting but we should never use that as an excuse to punish their kids who are going hungry right now as we speak. That's the line for me.
Electricity, gas and council tax.

3 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:
47 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Electricity, gas and council tax.

Impossible to be precise (location, size of house etc) but at this end that takes care of approx £280, leaving £140 a month.

£35 a week wont go far. 

10 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Sadly a twenty a day smoking habit would take care of that quite easily.

The last 4 years I’ve been volunteering at the local Foodbank and the numbers dependent on it increase each year. It’s quite an eye opener. There are people who are trying to work, but are on zero hours contracts. People on minimum wage who may have historic debt issues, lost their jobs/home/rent arrears, etc that they are trying to resolve or single parents who get no support from the other half. The introduction of Universal Credit just compounds the problem imho.

Sadly the foodbank service is open to abuse by a minority. I won’t go into details as it pisses me off no end that these people can take advantage of the generosity of others for their own selfish means. 

The foodbank volunteers and AdviceWorks try to help where they can, but many people are reluctant to make any changes and so the cycle continues from father to son, mother to daughter. 

I’ve met some wonderful people at the foodbank. 

I, Daniel Blake by Ken Loach is a well made movie on the subject of the benefits system, foodbanks and how unforeseen circumstances can change your life forever.

Unfortunately the poverty trap is difficult to escape. Sounds like Victorian Britain out there ☹️💰

I remember working over in Drumchapel some years ago, I spoke to a woman in her mid 40s who hadn’t worked for 15 years (bringing up kids) she took a job as a school cleaner and after the cost of travel, paying full rent was deducted, she was only £40 a week better off for working full time!! 
The Blair government brought in a programme that was fairly successful, they paid anyone who was on incapacity benefit £40 a week on top of there wages for the first year of any job they secured. Needless to say the 2008 crash came along and all these programmes we’re binned. 

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

I don't think that's what I said, but Fairy Nuff, what I meant was that if the government had completed it's part of the bargain by delivering a adequate (not even "world beating" :whistle) t&t system when the cases were low during the summer we might have avoided the second wave.

As I've said many times I'd always advocate taking the cautious approach when it came to wearing masks and re-opening the economy - mixed messages from BJ like saying the worst was over back in May, "go back to your office" in July, "Eat Out to Help Out" & re-opening schools fully both in August, student HoRs (the last two by both Holyrood & Westminster)  in September when much of the work could have been done remotely and a few others that I've criticized on here caused the second wave.

Its both

8 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

It's (sic) impossible for both of them to be responsible for "the bulk" of the blame.

Agreed, it's the public. :P

One good thing, I don't go shopping anymore, no need for two people to go to the supermarket. :thumbs2

The last time I went was way back when the great British public were emptying the shelves, so I had to see for myself how stupid these people were.

It was frightening. 

Edited by faraway saint