Coronavirus

faraway saint

7 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Have you read the article & not just the headline?

• But critics have charged that the success came at too high a price, after the country experienced some of the highest death rates in Europe.
  • Switzerland’s cantons were allowed to decide their own restrictions at a regional level. While some, such as Geneva, ordered a full lockdown, other major cities such as Zurich and Bern allowed restaurants, pubs and gyms to remain open throughout.
  • The development of the past few weeks is positive, but we shouldn't fool ourselves,” he said. “The decline in infections was primarily observed in cantons that previously had high numbers of cases. These cantons took additional measures.
  • The Swiss special way has worked. The slowdown has reversed the infection trend. Now we have to stick with it.” Thomas Steffen, a Swiss government medical advisor, told a press conference last week. But he cautioned that the figures showed the effectiveness of targeted regional lockdowns.

To me it's an endorsement of lockdown measures, with a misleading headline to please the gammonistas who read The Telegraph. :rolleyes:

Selective quotes, typical tactic from the narrow minded and fixed view cave dwellers.

I never posted this link to prove, or disprove, anything going on in the UK, I thought it was an interesting development from a country with a different approach. 

Here's a selection you, unsurprisingly, omitted......................

Switzerland is emerging as a model for how the coronavirus can be contained without a national lockdown, after daily new infections halved since the start of November despite pubs, restaurants, gyms and sports remaining open in much of the country.

Rather than ordering a general lockdown, Switzerland allowed regions to decide their own measures and only the worst-hit imposed tough restrictions. 

The Swiss government imposed only minimal restrictions at a national level, including a limit of ten on private gatherings, an 11pm curfew for restaurants and the compulsory use of facemasks in crowded areas.

Yet new infections have fallen more dramatically than in countries under complete lockdown. 

Aye, the good old public doing their bit......................

Covidiots are still partying as Renfrewshire records its highest weekly death toll in the second wave of the pandemic

Selfish revellers flouted strict covid restrictions to hold a house party in Paisley - as Renfrewshire recorded its highest weekly death toll in the second wave of the pandemic.

Cops swooped on the flat in Claud Road in the early hours of Sunday morning amid reports of a large gathering.

PAISLEY DAILY EXPRESS: Live news as it happens

They dished out 14 Fixed Penalty Notices after finding partygoers crammed in the Gallowhill home around 2.20am on Sunday.

The news comes as the region recorded its highest weekly death toll during the second wave of the outbreak.

A total of 13 people lost their lives to Covid-19 in the seven days to November 26.

While a further 368 people tested positive in the same period.

Despite a fall in new cases in neighbouring areas such as Glasgow and Lanarkshire, there has been no such decline in Renfrewshire.

On 11/9/2020 at 4:04 PM, Bud the Baker said:

Nope, the Froggies were our our allies in 1917 - against the Boche.

The French and President Macron are however the EU country most vocal in their opposition to the sorta fisheries deal the UK wants.....

You might find this Stewart Lee article from The Grauniad amusing...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jul/12/of-course-theres-a-future-for-the-british-fishing-industry-on-stage

You might also wonder why our beleaguered government wants to take such a stand on a sector that makes up just 0.1% of the UK economy much of which is in the hands of large business organizations especially as 80% of what UK ships catch is exported and thus particularly vulnerable to a WTO Brexit.

Taking control of our control of our waters back - it's hard not to laugh!

Boris Johnson has lowered his Brexit demands on Brussels by asking for up to 60% of catches in UK waters back from EU fishing fleets but the gap between the negotiators remains wide,

The EU has so far offered the repatriation of 15%-18% of fishing catches.

Split the difference - just don't ask me to do the calculation!

On 11/28/2020 at 8:58 AM, Bud the Baker said:

PS - From what I'm reading "oop north" (and I don't mean Uxbridge) aren't too happy with London getting Tier 2 status...:whistle

On 11/28/2020 at 9:13 AM, antrin said:

Naw...

Uxbridge is west and slightly south of me.  I guessed ye didnae mean there.  :rolleyes:

On 11/28/2020 at 9:21 AM, Bud the Baker said:

I was using what I imagined to be The Private Eye definition of Up North so I'm quite happy with Uxbridge (even if it is the Wild West) it's not my problem if you come from London's Artic Circle...

Twitter, this morning, gave me brief, shocked pause for thought - that Uxbridge was way further north than I knew it was...  :unsure:

Balcony Shirts on Twitter: "UNBELIEVABLE! The day we can finally open again after lockdown and there’s FIVE INCHES OF SNOW in Uxbridge?! How’s yer luck? https://t.co/HfLJOWJQaD" / Twitter

I think it was just eye-catching to try to flog Balcony shirts...

22 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Aye, the good old public doing their bit......................

Covidiots are still partying as Renfrewshire records its highest weekly death toll in the second wave of the pandemic

Selfish revellers flouted strict covid restrictions to hold a house party in Paisley - as Renfrewshire recorded its highest weekly death toll in the second wave of the pandemic.

Cops swooped on the flat in Claud Road in the early hours of Sunday morning amid reports of a large gathering.

PAISLEY DAILY EXPRESS: Live news as it happens

They dished out 14 Fixed Penalty Notices after finding partygoers crammed in the Gallowhill home around 2.20am on Sunday.

The news comes as the region recorded its highest weekly death toll during the second wave of the outbreak.

A total of 13 people lost their lives to Covid-19 in the seven days to November 26.

While a further 368 people tested positive in the same period.

Despite a fall in new cases in neighbouring areas such as Glasgow and Lanarkshire, there has been no such decline in Renfrewshire.

The “covidiots” are the folk following and supporting the lethal restrictions.

I’ll be round at friends again this weekend 🍺🍺

I won’t follow the restrictions and I’ll never wear a mask 

3 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Wonder if you can decline a private hire driver that hasn't had a vaccine? emoji16.png

If the vaccine works then why would anyone bother whether someone else has had the vaccine?

Then again, everyone knows that you’re thick as fuck, a coward who threatens to put folk in hospital and arranges fights with folk on the internet and then doesn’t turn up 😂