Coronavirus

faraway saint

1 hour ago, bazil85 said:

You yet again share statistics that contradict your claim. There is a clear pattern of more beds being taken up in areas where Covid is being reported to be most prevalent. 

Removing restrictions and stopping testing would condemn many more people to death months before the vaccine can hopefully have a significant impact on saving lives.

Which claim do my statistics contradict?

Removing restrictions, stopping testing and getting life back to normal would save thousands of lives.

Its your middle class left restrictions that are killing people.

Your virtue, their death. 

Edited by Sue Denim

3 minutes ago, Sue Denim said:

Removing restrictions, stopping testing and getting life back to normal would save thousands of lives.

On the positive side, it's beginning to look like we might be able to get back to normal in February if we can get 15 million vaccine injections by then. I still think Easter is more likely but any sign that this collective f**king madness might be coming to an end is welcome news. What will a whole army of mini-Hitlers do for a power kick after that?

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Your error is in the first sentence.

It's not the Ambulance Service reporting that increase, it's the LONDON Ambulance Service and they are saying that in LONDON, the 40% increase is due to covid.

Looking at the whole NHS to disprove this is typically stupid of you, although if you follow that second link, you'll see a graph showing a dark colour around London showing exactly the increase in demand the BBC article refers to.

I do wonder why you deliberately mislead like this but it's your time you are wasting.

Here’s 999 for the whole of London. Latest day shows 19 calls for a population of 9 million. 

Also showing 111 triages along with 999.

And remember, these calls are based on symptoms. In any other year, these calls would be suspected flu calls. 

63532477-E3B5-44E8-BEE5-5272A0126EC0.jpeg

7C63CEBB-2A8C-4F65-8792-575D54F98425.jpeg

DD9BDE2E-A813-416E-A863-3252A56293E4.jpeg

Just now, Yflab said:

I never had you down as a Tesco customer. Always thought you would be Waitrose or M&S at a push. Surely way too many peasants and ID badge waving queue jumpers at Tesco. 😂 

I had the kids on a family contract and what attracted me was that there is a limit so that I couldn’t get caught out with unexpected bills. Not sure if others have such a feature now as have been with Tesco for years now.

4 minutes ago, Sue Denim said:

Here’s 999 for the whole of London. Latest day shows 19 calls for a population of 9 million. 

Also showing 111 triages along with 999.

And remember, these calls are based on symptoms. In any other year, these calls would be suspected flu calls. 

63532477-E3B5-44E8-BEE5-5272A0126EC0.jpeg

7C63CEBB-2A8C-4F65-8792-575D54F98425.jpeg

DD9BDE2E-A813-416E-A863-3252A56293E4.jpeg

Don't waste your time here. You can't be trusted on anything. I would never read your posts or any links you provided in any real detail because of that.

Edited by oaksoft

14 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

On the positive side, it's beginning to look like we might be able to get back to normal in February if we can get 15 million vaccine injections by then. I still think Easter is more likely but any sign that this collective f**king madness might be coming to an end is welcome news. What will a whole army of mini-Hitlers do for a power kick after that?

I’m not sure that will sort it

Testing will still be happening. The only way we can get out of it is to stop testing. 

Just now, oaksoft said:

Don't waste your time here. You can't be trusted on anything. I would never read your posts or any links you provided because of that.

Translation - Sue Denim has proved me wrong yet again so I’ll launch an ad hominem attack to try and cover my embarrassment 

https://digital.nhs.uk/dashboards/nhs-pathways

it’s the NHS’ own website. Easy to use. Well, for those with half a brain....

4 minutes ago, Sue Denim said:

Translation - Sue Denim has proved me wrong yet again so I’ll launch an ad hominem attack to try and cover my embarrassment 

https://digital.nhs.uk/dashboards/nhs-pathways

it’s the NHS’ own website. Easy to use. Well, for those with half a brain....

It's not an ad hominem attack at all. I'm trying to help you by telling you straight what I think of your posts. You need a new dictionary.

I should also add that I don't care enough to read these sorts of links. I'll leave that to you.

Edited by oaksoft

44 minutes ago, Sue Denim said:

1. Your statistics show London, the area where it is being reported has been hammered with the virus worst right now is struggling with these hospital beds. If London still only had 2019 capacity they would have ran out of beds. 

2. You've made the claim throughout lockdown that restrictions will cause more people to die than the pandemic, this still has not been shown to be the case, the excess deaths for 2020 do not correlate to other causes more than Covid19. You're yet to bring a single shred of evidence to the table that shows 80,000+ excess deaths from 2020 are majority causes attributed to restrictions not Covid19

3. Governments with varying political views all over the world have concluded that restrictions are the right call, you attributing it to completely left or right wing politics is falsifiable. This also ties back to your unsubstantiated claim that restrictions are or will kill more than the virus 

4. You being unable of understanding a persons political or economic stance not governing their views on human life does not mean it is false. We know that you value your own finance over other peoples lives (completely and without reservation it would seem), that does not mean it is the only way people are. 

31 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

It's not an ad hominem attack at all. I'm trying to help you by telling you straight what I think of your posts. You need a new dictionary.

I should also add that I don't care enough to read these sorts of links. I'll leave that to you.

Your Good Samaritan work knows no bounds. Maybe you should publish a book?

"The right way to internet argue"

By Oaksoft 

Available in all good charity shops. 

A specific form of a protein passed down from Neanderthals protects against severe COVID-19, and medications that boost levels of this protein could potentially help treat the disease, according to a study reported on medRxiv on Thursday ahead of peer review. The protein, called OAS1, is involved in the body's response to viruses. People with higher levels of the Neanderthal-related form of OAS1 are less susceptible to COVID-19, and if they do become infected, they are at lower risk for hospitalization, intubation and death, the researchers found. "This protective form of OAS1 is present in sub-Saharan Africans but was lost when the ancestors of modern-day Europeans migrated out of Africa. It was then re-introduced into the European population through mating with Neanderthals" who lived more than 40,000 years ago, said coauthor Brent Richards from the Jewish General Hospital and McGill University in Montreal. An earlier study linked a cluster of genes inherited from Neanderthals to higher risks of hospitalization from COVID-19. "These findings further implicate Neanderthal ancestry in COVID-19 severity," Richards said.

12 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

A specific form of a protein passed down from Neanderthals protects against severe COVID-19, and medications that boost levels of this protein could potentially help treat the disease, according to a study reported on medRxiv on Thursday ahead of peer review. The protein, called OAS1, is involved in the body's response to viruses. People with higher levels of the Neanderthal-related form of OAS1 are less susceptible to COVID-19, and if they do become infected, they are at lower risk for hospitalization, intubation and death, the researchers found. "This protective form of OAS1 is present in sub-Saharan Africans but was lost when the ancestors of modern-day Europeans migrated out of Africa. It was then re-introduced into the European population through mating with Neanderthals" who lived more than 40,000 years ago, said coauthor Brent Richards from the Jewish General Hospital and McGill University in Montreal. An earlier study linked a cluster of genes inherited from Neanderthals to higher risks of hospitalization from COVID-19. "These findings further implicate Neanderthal ancestry in COVID-19 severity," Richards said.

Interesting.

Apparently there are already drugs out there that can elevate levels of this protein in the body.

Seems that increased levels of enzyme OAS1, through a very complex metabolic pathway, can inhibit viral replication.

Hopefully, this can be studied further and adapted for use in infected patients, without the gene.

Good to see the human genome fighting back.:)

18 hours ago, faraway saint said:

We're reviving he furlough quiz we were involved in for a one off Hogmany special.

Better get on with the questions, 7 teams all vying to be the winners. :thumbs2

Quiz completed, 5 rounds.

Round 1 - Christmas

Round 2 - 2020

Round 3 - Christmas Songs (audio round)

Round 4 - 2021

Round 5 - General Knowledge

67 points up for grabs. :thumbs2

17 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Woopee f'in doo. emoji14.png

13 hours ago, Yflab said:

He’s scared to invite you and I as we would stroll the quiz.

There's a new rule from wee Nicky, a maximum of 16 on any device as this new strain can travel down the fecking internet. :P