faraway saint

Coronavirus

On 4/11/2021 at 4:13 AM, Sue Denim said:

Czech Republic

went into lockdown a week before the U.K. last year

Now has the highest death rate in the world

@DougJamie says it would all have been ok if we’d gone into lockdown last year a week earlier :1eye

He’s not quite a useful idiot though. Just an idiot.

@Bud the Baker was one of the middle class left’s useful idiots though

he did their bidding at the expense of the working class and the vulnerable 

his virtue, their death 

Yes probably because they listened to someone just like you :lol: ... They had a total lockdown and closed their borders in March 2020 and Covid was kept at bay, Then to gain favour with the public as a election was looming the government opened up everything with no restrictions in place overruling their own advisers, Then made the same mistake again at Christmas,  

Tell the full story Sue 

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Lowest numbers of cases in Scotland for almost 7 months.

Good news. :happyclapper

PS I seen some pubs in England opened at midnight last night, FFS, how desperate are some people for a drink? :blink:

got to agree with the pub bit, everywhere I went on my travels today they were all beering it outside notably age groups which I would assume not had any jab yet. Recipe for disaster, for me another month might have been better for it once get more jabbed.

was taken aback this morning by a que outside a barber's in whitehaven at quarter to 7 this morning with inside busy. not needed them for 27 years although do have to take my boys which I'm like a fish out of water in that situ.

16 hours ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

got to agree with the pub bit, everywhere I went on my travels today they were all beering it outside notably age groups which I would assume not had any jab yet. Recipe for disaster, for me another month might have been better for it once get more jabbed.

was taken aback this morning by a que outside a barber's in whitehaven at quarter to 7 this morning with inside busy. not needed them for 27 years although do have to take my boys which I'm like a fish out of water in that situ.

I had a couple of delightful pints in a forest pub late yesterday afternoon.

Had picked up my wummin (after a shopping trip intae toon) and suggested that perhaps we should patronise a struggling business.  As a moral duty, you understand...?

I was shocked that she agreed! But pleased.  :)

quite busy (this was 4-5.00pm) all outdoors  - it has a BBQ pit so was also doing chips with...various stuff.

McMullens.  Lovely beer. 

A pleasant, normal late afternoon...

( I didn’t go to a barber’s.  She’s off to one of them tomorrow.  It seems to be quite a big deal...)

8CEB8BAB-F9D9-4FE2-9CD6-711335087D70.jpeg

Edited by antrin
Evidence

Good to see some restriction lifting accelerated today, big one I feel is the six adults/ six households outside from Friday. 

NS also in part touched on the reasoning for Island restrictions remaining in higher tiers based on the tourism and travel concerns. Almost as if for the Oaksters benefit. :whistle

1 hour ago, antrin said:

Had picked up my wummin (after a shopping trip intae toon) and suggested that perhaps we should patronise a struggling business.  As a moral duty, you understand...?

I was shocked that she agreed! But pleased.  :)

quite busy (this was 4-5.00pm) all outdoors  - it has a BBQ pit so was also doing chips with...various stuff.

McMullens.  Lovely beer. 

( I didn’t go to a barber’s.  She’s off to one of them tomorrow.  It seems to be quite a big deal...)

8CEB8BAB-F9D9-4FE2-9CD6-711335087D70.jpeg

Maybe a touch jealousy yesterday..............even more today as back on early shift tomorrow 🙄👍

I was shocked that she agreed! But pleased.  

McMullens.  Lovely beer. 

8CEB8BAB-F9D9-4FE2-9CD6-711335087D70.thumb.jpeg.9a2403cd1a220ce57d6be1590f1e3f85.jpeg

You really sold me with your day. Forest pub, nice beer and a barbecue- sounds phenomenal!!

As one of the last "hold-outs" without a mobile phone I read this with dismay until I realized I very rarely visit pubs these days, or even back in them halcyon just before  Lockdown daze...😵

Older drinkers risk discrimination says charity, after pub refuses to serve man without smartphone (msn.com)  :spud5:spud5:spud5

Edited by Bud the Baker

16 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

As one of the last "hold-outs" without a mobile phone I read this with dismay until I realized I very rarely visit pubs these days, or even back in them halcyon just before  Lockdown daze...😵

Older drinkers risk discrimination says charity, after pub refuses to serve man without smartphone (msn.com)  :spud5:spud5:spud5

You just need to give up the internet and you'll be complete. 😉

26 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

You just need to give up the internet and you'll be complete. 😉

On days like today when I'm not working I prefer to get my news online rather than watch the Breakfast shows which are now very "lightweight" - Dan Walker interviewing BJ after the last election reminded me of "wur ain" Chick Young's fawning attitude to Walter Smith, even BJ recognized this by asking Dan to make the last question a "hard one".

Back on topic some online forms now have the Mobile Phone slot mandatory and I've had to enter my partner's number for simple things like getting my gonorrhoea treated...🤮

I will prob'ly be forced to relent and get one soon but I'm gonna hold out for as long as possible.  

Staying off-topic I can understand the desire to cut costs for milk delivery (below) and the extra expense & inconvenience of leaving people on old systems of payment but somewhere inside me there's a caveman just waiting to shout Yabba-Dabba-Don't

A sour taste: Milk delivery giant turns its back on loyal customers - because they don't have the internet (msn.com)

Edited by Bud the Baker

Boris Johnson claiming that lockdowns were the reason for the fall in hospitalisations and deaths and not vaccines

No, seasonality was the reason. It happens every single year as can be clearly seen in the graph of weekly deaths since 1974 below. 

Whoever wishes to investigate medicine properly should proceed thus: in the first place to consider the seasons of the year … 

Hippocrates

(circa 400 b.c.)

A5025D89-3AFE-4D35-BEF3-2F03090AD66B.jpeg

Edited by Sue Denim

Comparison weekly deaths in Scotland of the 17/18 bad flu season with the winter of 20/21.

Lockdown began after the peak.

Similar rise and fall in deaths in both charts. No lockdowns or vaccines in 17/18 to cause the fall from the peak. It happens every year. 

7D19D546-26D3-480D-9D83-BF23EFFB6804.jpeg

If lockdowns have reduced deaths in the U.K. then what has reduced deaths in Sweden, Florida, Texas, Georgia, South Dakota, South Carolina and Mississippi?

These states all currently have no restrictions at all, whether because they never had them (South Dakota), because they removed them after the first wave in the spring (Georgia and South Carolina) or in the autumn (Florida), or because they lifted them in the last few weeks (Mississippi and Texas).

If lockdown is what brings infections down, what has brought them down in these states?

24 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

In a weird case of double standards the BBC is highlighting the NRS figures that Scotland has recorded 10,000 Covid deaths while still using the 28 day total for the UK as a whole - bizarre!

It’s a milestone.

similar figures about...

Say... London get quoted to help people grasp some reality behind vast numbers.

3 hours ago, Sue Denim said:

If lockdowns have reduced deaths in the U.K. then what has reduced deaths in Sweden, Florida, Texas, Georgia, South Dakota, South Carolina and Mississippi?

These states all currently have no restrictions at all, whether because they never had them (South Dakota), because they removed them after the first wave in the spring (Georgia and South Carolina) or in the autumn (Florida), or because they lifted them in the last few weeks (Mississippi and Texas).

If lockdown is what brings infections down, what has brought them down in these states?

Has anyone ever said that there was no seasonality at all involved in covid?

Either on here or in public office?

The argument is that lockdown reduces the size and duration of the wave.

Seasonality, lockdown, social distancing (but NOT masks FFS) and vaccines will all be factors.

1 hour ago, antrin said:

It’s a milestone.

similar figures about...

Say... London get quoted to help people grasp some reality behind vast numbers.

When the UK passed the 150,000 Covid deaths milestone it was not the headline but Para9 with a disclaimer...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56709870

Separate figures published by the UK's statistics agencies show there have been 150,000 deaths registered in the UK where Covid-19 was mentioned on the death certificate.

4 hours ago, Sue Denim said:

Boris Johnson claiming that lockdowns were the reason for the fall in hospitalisations and deaths and not vaccines

No, seasonality was the reason. It happens every single year as can be clearly seen in the graph of weekly deaths since 1974 below. 

Whoever wishes to investigate medicine properly should proceed thus: in the first place to consider the seasons of the year … 

Hippocrates

(circa 400 b.c.)

A5025D89-3AFE-4D35-BEF3-2F03090AD66B.jpeg

yet again sharing visuals that show your view is wrong regarding the severity of Covid19, such a strange approach. 

As I have thought for some time, almost a quarter of reported deaths are not FROM covid but people who just happened to have it.

That'll dent the figures and upset @Bud the Baker :lol:

Almost a quarter of registered Covid deaths are people who are not dying from the disease, new official figures show, as the Government was urged to move faster with the roadmap in the light of increasingly positive data.  

The latest figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) show that 23 per cent of coronavirus deaths registered are now people who have died "with" the virus rather than "from" an infection.

This means that, while the person who died will have tested positive for Covid, that was not the primary cause of their death recorded on the death certificate.

31 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

I could have sworn that was explained at every briefing given at least in Scotland.

Was it? 

If so, you'd have thought it would have been shown as THE real number rather than exaggerating things, unless that was what the government wanted? 

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

As I have thought for some time, almost a quarter of reported deaths are not FROM covid but people who just happened to have it.

That'll dent the figures and upset @Bud the Baker :lol:

Almost a quarter of registered Covid deaths are people who are not dying from the disease new official figures show, as the Government was urged to move faster with the roadmap in the light of increasingly positive data.  

The latest figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) show that 23 per cent of coronavirus deaths registered are now people who have died "with" the virus rather than "from" an infection.

This means that, while the person who died will have tested positive for Covid, that was not the primary cause of their death recorded on the death certificate.

Well that's a convenient distinction but it doesn't change anything - anyone reading the rest of the Mail/Telegraph articles in full will see it's clearly a gammon ploy...

• Tory backbenchers are now calling on Boris Johnson to accelerate the route of the Covid lockdown

Just now, Bud the Baker said:

Well that's a convenient distinction but it doesn't change anything - anyone reading the rest of the Mail/Telegraph articles in full will see it's clearly a gammon ploy...

And there we are, figures you don't like, right them off. :lol:

Don't you like the ONS figures? :lol

You are SO predictable. :byebye