Motherwell v St Mirren Scottish Cup Replay 18/2/20

shull

1 minute ago, Helmettroll said:

M-well manager was just on the radio saying he thinks the game will be called off, the pitch is in a bit of a state apparently with more heavy rain forecast...

I'm not sure when it will be played, then. The forecast is for rain in Motherwell for the next few weeks. Does it really matter if it's played in a quagmire?

5 minutes ago, W6er said:

I'm not sure when it will be played, then. The forecast is for rain in Motherwell for the next few weeks. Does it really matter if it's played in a quagmire?

W6. There is the matter or player safety. The ref also has a duty to ensure that the ball moves and bounces consistently. I'm a bit conflicted. Part of me would like to see the game played and part of me would prefer to see us being fresh for Friday. All of me would have liked a decision to have been made tonight with 24 hours to go. 

Just now, St.Ricky said:

W6. There is the matter or player safety. The ref also has a duty to ensure that the ball moves and bounces consistently. I'm a bit conflicted. Part of me would like to see the game played and part of me would prefer to see us being fresh for Friday. All of me would have liked a decision to have been made tonight with 24 hours to go. 

With respect to your last sentence, the only certain decision that can be made is for the game to be postponed as even if the pitch is considered playable tonight, there could be a huge downpour tomorrow.

I cannot really see any issue with players' health and safety, I mean it's not as though the players are likely to be swallowed up in the mud. However I appreciate what you're saying about the feasibility of playing a game, but I am sure matches used to be played on very muddy pitches. This famous goal comes to mind:

I'd even argue it's part and parcel of the game:

Neil Warnock: How to face a muddy fixture

2 minutes ago, W6er said:

With respect to your last sentence, the only certain decision that can be made is for the game to be postponed as even if the pitch is considered playable tonight, there could be a huge downpour tomorrow.

I cannot really see any issue with players' health and safety, I mean it's not as though the players are likely to be swallowed up in the mud. However I appreciate what you're saying about the feasibility of playing a game, but I am sure matches used to be played on very muddy pitches. This famous goal comes to mind:

I'd even argue it's part and parcel of the game:

Neil Warnock: How to face a muddy fixture

I agree with you about matches being played in atrocious conditions in the past. Going to Fir Park or Cappielow, until recently, meant that the pitch would be terrible, particularly when it rained, but most games went ahead.  Fans too need some consideration and the uncertainty is likely to decrease the crowd if the game goes ahead after a late inspection. 

Thanks for the links. 

44 minutes ago, Helmettroll said:

M-well manager was just on the radio saying he thinks the game will be called off, the pitch is in a bit of a state apparently with more heavy rain forecast...

Goodwin was quoted earlier saying we are preparing for the game being on until told otherwise. If those shitebags don't want to play in a bit of mud, they should concede the tie :whistle

article-2295492-18C3FA66000005DC-12_964x

Edited by Doakes

15 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

I agree with you about matches being played in atrocious conditions in the past. Going to Fir Park or Cappielow, until recently, meant that the pitch would be terrible, particularly when it rained, but most games went ahead.  Fans too need some consideration and the uncertainty is likely to decrease the crowd if the game goes ahead after a late inspection. 

Thanks for the links. 

I agree. It almost certainly will impact the crowd, now. 

This is the BBC's weather forecast up until March:

1431569209_MotherwellWeather010.thumb.jpg.d8f7683107533988181c3d1d311df792.jpg

I'm wondering when the game is likely to be played. But I suppose it's up to the referee at the end of the day. Hopefully he'll show some common sense.

3 minutes ago, whydowebother said:

Oh Jesus, agreement between the aliases emoji2.png

Game is on - no drama... yet

Are you making a crisis into a drama or a drama into a crisis. Its OK for you, I suggest, as its only a very remote possibility that you will be anywhere near For Park. For those of us who intend to be there it's a pain in the butt. I mean how can I arrange my Pre-match meal at the Rogano for the guys if we don't know if the game is on or off. Only one lives in the West of Scotland. 

4 minutes ago, whydowebother said:

Oh Jesus, agreement between the aliases emoji2.png

Game is on - no drama... yet

😂😂😂 Why would somebody create an alias for a football forum?! I have to admit the 'banter' on here is pretty harsh, and often I'm unsure whether it's genuine or not. Plus I find one or two posters hard to take seriously...

1 minute ago, St.Ricky said:

Are you making a crisis into a drama or a drama into a crisis. Its OK for you, I suggest, as its only a very remote possibility that you will be anywhere near For Park. For those of us who intend to be there it's a pain in the butt. I mean how can I arrange my Pre-match meal at the Rogano for the guys if we don't know if the game is on or off. Only one lives in the West of Scotland. 

I found the service in there to be dreadful last time I visited, and it's very expensive for what it is. But aye, handy if you're meeting folk I suppose.

Just now, W6er said:

I found the service in there to be dreadful last time I visited, and it's very expensive for what it is. But aye, handy if you're meeting folk I suppose.

Town Centre. I prefer Two Fat Ladies at Finnieston or The Ubiquitous Chip but neither are in the centre.

I like the Rogano though. Reminds me of when my office was nearby and friends joked that the Rogano was my Canteen as I ate there regularly. 

By the way.. Do you remember Epicure in West Nile Street? 

3 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Town Centre. I prefer Two Fat Ladies at Finnieston or The Ubiquitous Chip but neither are in the centre.

I like the Rogano though. Reminds me of when my office was nearby and friends joked that the Rogano was my Canteen as I ate there regularly. 

By the way.. Do you remember Epicure in West Nile Street? 

I don't think so, no. Is there one in the West End? 

Aye, The Ubiquitous Chip's nice. If you're back in Paisley, Leonardo's is a new Italian restaurant on the Paisley/Glasgow boundary. I found it to be excellent, but I know people who have not had good service in there.  

Just now, W6er said:

I don't think so, no. Is there one in the West End? 

Aye, The Ubiquitous Chip's nice. If you're back in Paisley, Leonardo's is a new Italian restaurant on the Paisley/Glasgow boundary. I found it to be excellent, but I know people who have not had good service in there.  

Haven't tried it but might give it a go on Friday before the Hearts game as my sons are talking about going for a meal.