Motherwell v St Mirren Scottish Cup Replay 18/2/20

shull

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

Special mention to Cammy McPherson. Could not get in the team at the start of the season and ended up with the captain's armband last night. Really proving to be an important player for us.

And somebody on here once said "you would struggle to make a case for him being a footballer full stop"

Football fans, eh?

Special mention to Cammy McPherson. Could not get in the team at the start of the season and ended up with the captain's armband last night. Really proving to be an important player for us.

Would be my player of the year if the awards were tomorrow.

First name on the team sheet every week, he’s a proper player.

Regarding Thommos comments about the league being more important than the cup last night, I completely disagree with him and I’m surprised he made them to be honest.

What we will all remember most from Thommo’s St Mirren career is those glorious goals in the semi and final of the league cup. They’ll still be spoken about in 50 years.

He was also involved in some successful relegation battles, but no one will remember them. Nobody will come up to him and go remember that time you were a big part in that team who finished 8th in the league...?

I could tell you the starting 11 that one us the cup in 1987. I was far too young to remember the game but they’re all club legends. By most accounts the team of the late 70’s and early 80’s was actually a better team than the 87 team. Don’t know anything about them though, cause they never even made a cup final.

League positions come and go. Sometimes we get relegated, sometimes we get promoted, ‘Twas ever thus. It’s the cups where true legends are made for clubs like us.

Our most important game of the season was last night. Our next most important game is the quarter final a week on Saturday.

How can Friday be more important than either of them? Even if you do think the league is more important than the cups (which I don’t) nothing gets decided in the game against Hearts. We could win and get relegated or lose and stay up.

10 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Regarding Thommos comments about the league being more important than the cup last night, I completely disagree with him and I’m surprised he made them to be honest.

What we will all remember most from Thommo’s St Mirren career is those glorious goals in the semi and final of the league cup. They’ll still be spoken about in 50 years.

He was also involved in some successful relegation battles, but no one will remember them. Nobody will come up to him and go remember that time you were a big part in that team who finished 8th in the league...?

I could tell you the starting 11 that one us the cup in 1987. I was far too young to remember the game but they’re all club legends. By most accounts the team of the late 70’s and early 80’s was actually a better team than the 87 team. Don’t know anything about them though, cause they never even made a cup final.

League positions come and go. Sometimes we get relegated, sometimes we get promoted, ‘Twas ever thus. It’s the cups where true legends are made for clubs like us.

Our most important game of the season was last night. Our next most important game is the quarter final a week on Saturday.

How can Friday be more important than either of them? Even if you do think the league is more important than the cups (which I don’t) nothing gets decided in the game against Hearts. We could win and get relegated or lose and stay up.

It's a matter of opinion. Comments made to me last night at the game chimed with yours but, I guess, from a financial and progress point of view then staying up is more important in the scheme of things and that's all he is saying. Me., I love the cup win in 1987 and the League Cup wins. Realistically the only chances of national success for us as a club. 

Agree TC

In my time supporting I have witnessed 4 promotions( 77, 00,06,18) 3 relegations  4 Cups, ( SC 87, LC 13, B&Q 2006, Anglo Scot 79) I can remember fondly all Cup wins , the regular trips to Hampden in the 80s.

However could easily forget Gus keeping us up by skin of our teeth and last season in total bar the play off final...……..

We have a genuine chance to get to a Semi and then anything is possible as in 2013. Embrace it, its what its all about, after all we can get 17-20 k fans to Hampden more than triple what we get at home

21 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

BBC Report with Highlights

Motherwell 4-4 St Mirren (pens 2-3): Paisley side into Scottish Cup quarter-finals after shootout - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51454022

Obviously (like Thommo) the BBC did not consider the cup tie worthy of TV commentary since the 2 ugly sisters were not involved - as it looks like they 'borrowed' the footage from either the Motherwell or St Mirren TV!

656808225_SaintsPenaltyWin.thumb.jpg.a13d20b4c4e149455733d7a0f2a51f9a.jpg

According to Motherwell's own website:

'The South Stand is the largest of the four stands at the ground, with a seated capacity of 4,500. It normally houses the away support, however it is used for home supporters on some occasions.'

The upper and lower tiers appear to be roughly the same size, which would suggest the lower tier has a capacity of 2,225. If we had less than 1,000 supporters there, that would suggest it was less than 45% full...

I think a lot of people must have sneaked through that fire exit!

Cup memories are great (well some of them anyway - 2010 gave me the biggest boot in the baws since the H game). Winning is great. Not winning is not so great and few remember cup runs than end in a semi final.

For me I would take staying up over a Cup run this season. I think the Club now has a genuine ambition to break into the top 6. I have not thought that was the case in the past - wishful thinking but without a real desire to achieve it.

In his first year in full time management I think Goody is learning on the job and making good strides forward. Hopefully if we stay up we can recruit properly and compete far better against teams of a similar size (and smaller size like Livi) and realistically go for a top six place. Killie made Europe last season. The Jonnies and Well have all played in Europe recently. And with the OF being successful there may be an extra place in the future for Scottish Clubs. For those old enough to remember European nights (Home or Away) - were they not enjoyable occasions that will not be forgotten even though we got pumped fairly early on?

As we know only too well being relegated does not mean automatic promotion and the financial difference is staggering in Scottish terms. Staying up and building on it over the next few years is critical and I would not like to see us start all over again by being relegated as I feel we have genuine forward momentum.

And I am still buzzing after last night :)

2 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Cup memories are great (well some of them anyway - 2010 gave me the biggest boot in the baws since the H game). Winning is great. Not winning is not so great and few remember cup runs than end in a semi final.

For me I would take staying up over a Cup run this season. I think the Club now has a genuine ambition to break into the top 6. I have not thought that was the case in the past - wishful thinking but without a real desire to achieve it.

In his first year in full time management I think Goody is learning on the job and making good strides forward. Hopefully if we stay up we can recruit properly and compete far better against teams of a similar size (and smaller size like Livi) and realistically go for a top six place. Killie made Europe last season. The Jonnies and Well have all played in Europe recently. And with the OF being successful there may be an extra place in the future for Scottish Clubs. For those old enough to remember European nights (Home or Away) - were they not enjoyable occasions that will not be forgotten even though we got pumped fairly early on?

As we know only too well being relegated does not mean automatic promotion and the financial difference is staggering in Scottish terms. Staying up and building on it over the next few years is critical and I would not like to see us start all over again by being relegated as I feel we have genuine forward momentum.

And I am still buzzing after last night :)

A fair comment. I see where you are coming from, but on the other hand as a club should we not be trying to win things? The two major cups are our only real opportunity to win silverware. As others have said, nobody remembers players for finishing 10th in the league after a relegation battle, but a cup winning side will be remembered. I also think last night is how the club attracts new fans and ensures the less committed keep coming back. It was a fantastic experience which I think I will always remember. It's one of those matches that only comes around every five or ten years. I also think last night's result will help the team's morale.