Motherwell v St Mirren Scottish Cup Replay 18/2/20

shull

5 minutes ago, W6er said:

A fair comment. I see where you are coming from, but on the other hand as a club should we not be trying to win things? The two major cups are our only real opportunity to win silverware. As others have said, nobody remembers players for finishing 10th in the league after a relegation battle, but a cup winning side will be remembered. I also think last night is how the club attracts new fans and ensures the less committed keep coming back. It was a fantastic experience which I think I will always remember. It's one of those matches that only comes around every five or ten years. I also think last night's result will help the team's morale.

Of course we should be trying to win things. I want the Cup and 7th place this season by winning all our remaining games. Let's go for it :)

20 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Cup memories are great (well some of them anyway - 2010 gave me the biggest boot in the baws since the H game). Winning is great. Not winning is not so great and few remember cup runs than end in a semi final.

For me I would take staying up over a Cup run this season. I think the Club now has a genuine ambition to break into the top 6. I have not thought that was the case in the past - wishful thinking but without a real desire to achieve it.

In his first year in full time management I think Goody is learning on the job and making good strides forward. Hopefully if we stay up we can recruit properly and compete far better against teams of a similar size (and smaller size like Livi) and realistically go for a top six place. Killie made Europe last season. The Jonnies and Well have all played in Europe recently. And with the OF being successful there may be an extra place in the future for Scottish Clubs. For those old enough to remember European nights (Home or Away) - were they not enjoyable occasions that will not be forgotten even though we got pumped fairly early on?

As we know only too well being relegated does not mean automatic promotion and the financial difference is staggering in Scottish terms. Staying up and building on it over the next few years is critical and I would not like to see us start all over again by being relegated as I feel we have genuine forward momentum.

And I am still buzzing after last night :)

To add- with relegation comes jobs losses. We really need to consolidate our place in the Premiership,  and who knows where that will take us in the next few years. 

That said , I do love a cup run.

1 hour ago, W6er said:

656808225_SaintsPenaltyWin.thumb.jpg.a13d20b4c4e149455733d7a0f2a51f9a.jpg

According to Motherwell's own website:

'The South Stand is the largest of the four stands at the ground, with a seated capacity of 4,500. It normally houses the away support, however it is used for home supporters on some occasions.'

The upper and lower tiers appear to be roughly the same size, which would suggest the lower tier has a capacity of 2,225. If we had less than 1,000 supporters there, that would suggest it was less than 45% full...

I think a lot of people must have sneaked through that fire exit!

Magic :lol: 

56 minutes ago, munoz said:

To add- with relegation comes jobs losses. We really need to consolidate our place in the Premiership,  and who knows where that will take us in the next few years. 

That said , I do love a cup run.

To the same point we have now. How many stands to give the Bigots.

7 minutes ago, pod said:

To the same point we have now. How many stands to give the Bigots.

Well there were empty seats the last time we played Celtic, so I'd say the South and North stands plus maybe W1 and W2.

LOL Thank the Big Man one cannot receive negative rep on here!

1 hour ago, W6er said:

656808225_SaintsPenaltyWin.thumb.jpg.a13d20b4c4e149455733d7a0f2a51f9a.jpg

According to Motherwell's own website:

'The South Stand is the largest of the four stands at the ground, with a seated capacity of 4,500. It normally houses the away support, however it is used for home supporters on some occasions.'

The upper and lower tiers appear to be roughly the same size, which would suggest the lower tier has a capacity of 2,225. If we had less than 1,000 supporters there, that would suggest it was less than 45% full...

I think a lot of people must have sneaked through that fire exit!

I was in the Main Stand, and I noticed the away end looked busier at the end, when the crowd were more spread out (as above), than it did during the game when they were packed together.

. My view was that we had enough fans there to completely fill two sections of the stand. However two sections of that stand is 2 x (21 x 28) = 1176. :whistle

I've actually got a couple of pictures, but they are shite.

With there being cash gates you might need to also factor in that was par for the course for home teams to under-report cup crowds back in the day. Don't know if that is still a thing.

3 minutes ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

I was in the Main Stand, and I noticed the away end looked busier at the end, when the crowd were more spread out (as above), than it did during the game when they were packed together.

. My view was that we had enough fans there to completely fill two sections of the stand. However two sections of that stand is 2 x (21 x 28) = 1176. :whistle

I've actually got a couple of pictures, but they are shite.

With there being cash gates you might need to also factor in that was par for the course for home teams to under-report cup crowds back in the day. Don't know if that is still a thing.

That's basically what I was getting at. 

5 hours ago, TopCat said:

Regarding Thommos comments about the league being more important than the cup last night, I completely disagree with him and I’m surprised he made them to be honest.

What we will all remember most from Thommo’s St Mirren career is those glorious goals in the semi and final of the league cup. They’ll still be spoken about in 50 years.

He was also involved in some successful relegation battles, but no one will remember them. Nobody will come up to him and go remember that time you were a big part in that team who finished 8th in the league...?

I could tell you the starting 11 that one us the cup in 1987. I was far too young to remember the game but they’re all club legends. By most accounts the team of the late 70’s and early 80’s was actually a better team than the 87 team. Don’t know anything about them though, cause they never even made a cup final.

League positions come and go. Sometimes we get relegated, sometimes we get promoted, ‘Twas ever thus. It’s the cups where true legends are made for clubs like us.

Our most important game of the season was last night. Our next most important game is the quarter final a week on Saturday.

How can Friday be more important than either of them? Even if you do think the league is more important than the cups (which I don’t) nothing gets decided in the game against Hearts. We could win and get relegated or lose and stay up.

Thommo is correct. If we stay up this season and progress the club in the way Jim Goodwin wants to then the league is more important than the cup. At some point we need to stop being a yo yo club and start competing with Kille and Motherwell and not just accepting second best.

We were a really good top level outfit in the 80s and we are well able to get back there and not just accept relegation as inevitable.

6 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Thommo is correct. If we stay up this season and progress the club in the way Jim Goodwin wants to then the league is more important than the cup. At some point we need to stop being a yo yo club and start competing with Kille and Motherwell and not just accepting second best.

We were a really good top level outfit in the 80s and we are well able to get back there and not just accept relegation as inevitable.

It's heart breaking and on the subject of hearts, lets break Hearts heart.  :wink:

14 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Thommo is not correct. 

We are in a League we cannot win. 

Only useful to play practice matches so we can compete and win Cup Competitions. 

I will change my outlook once Sevco and Celtic are booted tae feck. 

Till then, the farce will continue. 

4 hours ago, Dickson said:

Being honest I thought he was one of the teams poorest performers last night. The flick he tried against the wind in extra time was just typical of his poor decision making particularly from half time on. However he is due loads of credit for his performances in the first team of late. He rightly deserves the recognition he has been getting over the last month or so and he has been one of the most consistent performers. 

On the game in general, after a truly incredible first half, I thought Goodwins biggest mistake was to sit deep and to try to defend what they had from half time onwards. Motherwell had to charge forward and there were huge gaps there to be exploited but instead, because of the deep position St Mirren took, every time St Mirren won the ball possession was gifted straight back to Motherwell. 

it's a game fans of both clubs will be talking about for a very long time I reckon, but that second half collapse should provide a lot of lessons for the team and the manager to learn from. 

Your last paragraph is spot on. 

Do we need to stop being a yo-yo club? Why do we? What happens if we don’t...? I know what happens if we don’t, we’d carry on just fine.

We’ve been a yo-yo club for the vast majority of our modern history and I bet we will be for the majority of our future. Nothing wrong with that and absolutely no need to change.

If the alternative finishing mid table in the top flight every year and playing pretty much the same teams every season then no thanks, that sounds absolutely awful. I actually enjoy our Championship seasons more than the Premiership. Different grounds, better kick off times, more likely to be competing at the right end of the table, cheaper gate prices, no Old Firm. It’s just much... better.

Wouldn’t want to be there permanently of course. Few seasons in each is the best of both worlds, don’t get bored of either and get the thrill of the promotion season and the relegation battles. Here’s to another 50 years of Yo-Yoing, and a few more cup wins.

8 hours ago, W6Saint said:

And somebody on here once said "you would struggle to make a case for him being a footballer full stop"

Football fans, eh?

Correct. Someone also put their hands up and said they were absolutely delighted to be proven wrong about Cammy. :lol:

Same as first half of last season when everyone was on the case of Ryan Flynn. He'd have been first out the door in January and I was delighted to be talking shite there too (along with most of our support). 

Several Saints supporters online also continue to unwaveringly persist with the line that Obika is shite. 

Football fans, eh? 

Edited by djchapsticks

7 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Where do you live..................… Australia ??? 

Trains back to North Berwick don't run late enough to get home from midweek games. Especially ones with extra time and penalties, so we stayed in Motherwell last night. Had a great time. The Motherwell fans we met after the game were all great company. 

Last night was a classic. Absolutely loved it. Second half was a bit scary but we hung on and snatched victory from the jaws of defeat.

Awesome. 

1 hour ago, santaponsasaint said:
15 hours ago, ged62 said:

He’s right though.

Yip. I agree with Thommo. 3 points more important than the cup game. But who says we cant win both games. Coys.

It’s strange from Thommo though.

”What was the best thing about your time with St Mirren? I’m guessing League Cup 2013?”

”Na, I much preferred the season we avoided relegation for like the seventh straight year”

2 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

”What was the best thing about your time with St Mirren? I’m guessing League Cup 2013?”

”Na, I much preferred the season we avoided relegation for like the seventh straight year”

Playing for his boyhood team. :wink:

Edited by pod

34 minutes ago, Dickson said:

He would have been paid more for staying up. 

I get where the players get their motivation from, but Alex Smith always had it right. Win those 5 games in the cup and the players all become absolute legends. 

He didn’t need money - if that was an issue he would never have joined us. His career was spent earning wages we could never hope to match.

Agree regarding Alex Smith - it’s the cup successes people remember. We’ve been in so many relegation battles I’ve forgotten most of them outside of the 3-2 Fir Park thriller and that random stunning performance at Falkirk when we won 2-0.

3 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

What was more enjoyable to watch? The league cup win or popping the arabs down to the first division on penalties. Must admit I celebrated more at the latter.

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Correct. Someone also put their hands up and said they were absolutely delighted to be proven wrong about Cammy. :lol:

Same as first half of last season when everyone was on the case of Ryan Flynn. He'd have been first out the door in January and I was delighted to be talking shite there too (along with most of our support). 

Several Saints supporters online also continue to unwaveringly persist with the line that Obika is shite. 

Football fans, eh? 

Obika has been shite but his performances have been getting better. He has had 2 decent halves now and having Jak alongside him has definitely helped. Time for Morias and Andreu to pull their finger out as see them dropping down the pecking order. Andreu in particular has been a disappointment and expected a lot more from him. Think it will be a more settled lineup and formation going forward which will also help as long as Jim doesn't feck about with it at half time.

10 hours ago, Dickson said:

Being honest I thought he was one of the teams poorest performers last night. The flick he tried against the wind in extra time was just typical of his poor decision making particularly from half time on. However he is due loads of credit for his performances in the first team of late. He rightly deserves the recognition he has been getting over the last month or so and he has been one of the most consistent performers. 

On the game in general, after a truly incredible first half, I thought Goodwins biggest mistake was to sit deep and to try to defend what they had from half time onwards. Motherwell had to charge forward and there were huge gaps there to be exploited but instead, because of the deep position St Mirren took, every time St Mirren won the ball possession was gifted straight back to Motherwell. 

it's a game fans of both clubs will be talking about for a very long time I reckon, but that second half collapse should provide a lot of lessons for the team and the manager to learn from. 

I would have given that criticism to Foley who gave the ball away on numerous occasions.  As for Goodwin's defending tactics then I have some sympathy for him.  In the two all draw with Hibernian he was criticized for not defending our two goal lead.  He did that last night and look what happened.