Defenders

13 hours ago, RossCSmfc said:

Stelios till the end of the season. I'll be shot down for this but I think he's the best that's realistically available. 

BRING HIM HOME! 

He is dual registered Haringey and Bradford park Avenue.

Still the same star!

On his first appearance for BPA he fouled someone clean through on goal and was sent off.

but it kept the score at 3-3.

So he couldn’t  play yesterday.  They got beat.

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Stelios isn't available. He signed for Bradford Park Avenue in the conference north.

I was in hospitality yesterday and ballsy enough with the drink, asked Goodwin directly whats going to happen and he confirmed we're going to be looking at free agents...he's concerned about lack of game time for them to be up to speed but he said we've been backed into a corner now so needs must. 

I was under the impression that he signed for them as they're not "professional", allowing him to move to a professional club later and keep fit at the same time. 

5 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:

Makes the McGinn transfer a masterstroke. Watching Hibs game still makes my blood boil to see him in a Hibs Jersey. Goody said at the Q&A that he wanted two player for every position. Well we have 1 RB and hes a midfielder. Before anybody mentions Flynn. He done superb at RB. But he is a midfielder.

Are players not allowed to be proficient in more than one position now?

There are plenty of professional football players who play equally well in more than one position. Also, many players as their careers progress start to flourish in positions different from the start of their careers.

Ryan Flynn (uninjured) just happens to be one of them. Tommy Turner was one too.

1 hour ago, santaponsasaint said:

Makes the McGinn transfer a masterstroke. Watching Hibs game still makes my blood boil to see him in a Hibs Jersey. Goody said at the Q&A that he wanted two player for every position. Well we have 1 RB and hes a midfielder. Before anybody mentions Flynn. He done superb at RB. But he is a midfielder.

Aye ok Pep. We should have kept McGinn as third choice back up! 😂

58 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Are players not allowed to be proficient in more than one position now?

There are plenty of professional football players who play equally well in more than one position. Also, many players as their careers progress start to flourish in positions different from the start of their careers.

Ryan Flynn (uninjured) just happens to be one of them. Tommy Turner was one too.

Indeed. Jack Copland started out with St Mirren as a striker and came back to Love Street as a centre half.

Frank McAvennie was originally a midfielder

Ashley Young was a winger, now he’s a full back. Gareth Bale was a left back, now he’s a forward. 

There’s countless examples out there.

Ryan Flynn had established himself as first choice right back and was keeping McGinn on the bench. When McGinn left we brought in Hodson.

That gave us 2 players for right back.

Was JG supposed to foresee that they’d both get injured immediately after the transfer window?

Was he supposed to deny McGinn the opportunity of being first choice at Hibs and keep him as 3rd choice?

Some fans are clueless 

7 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Stelios isn't available. He signed for Bradford Park Avenue in the conference north.

I was in hospitality yesterday and ballsy enough with the drink, asked Goodwin directly whats going to happen and he confirmed we're going to be looking at free agents...he's concerned about lack of game time for them to be up to speed but he said we've been backed into a corner now so needs must. 

But that is the situation with Hodson who had not started a League game since Oct and only 7 since the season started and most of them in August.

And it has shown in the last two games.

6 minutes ago, Hiram Abiff said:

Indeed. Jack Copland started out with St Mirren as a striker and came back to Love Street as a centre half.

Ashley Young was a winger, now he’s a full back. Gareth Bale was a left back, now he’s a forward. 

Ryan Flynn had established himself as first choice right back and was keeping McGinn on the bench. When McGinn left we brought in Hodson.

Was JG supposed to foresee that they’d both get injured immediately after the transfer window?

Was he supposed to deny McGinn the opportunity of being first choice at Hibs and keep him as 3rd choice?

Some fans are clueless 

Leave it to the manager Pep, ya fanny. 

24 minutes ago, Hiram Abiff said:

Some fans are clueless 

Lots I agree with in here. The examples you give prove the point. 

Also agree (although I don't like it) that we couldn't realistically hold on to either McGinn or Wank Broadfoot and in the case of McGinn we also show that we don't stand in the way of players improving their incomes by moving to better supported teams / richer teams. That model works for Motherwell and for Celtic. 

I'm pretty sure I labelled him s***e as like I said previously a striker that his most "ahem prolific" season was 5 goals imo deserved that tag.

I'm in a win/win situation here, he proves me wrong him and Saints are probably doing well.

He doesn't prove me wrong I can sit back and gloat how right I was.

Anyway seeing as plenty Saints fans think Obika is amazing he can stay up front and to get back on topic Jakubiak can play right back.

An extension of the transfer window speculation and frenzy then. Excellent!:rolleyes:
I wonder who will class our targets as "shite" first, even before they've kicked a ball for us.
It was good to see the previously labelled "shite" Alex Jakubiak have an excellent game yesterday, and get his first goal. A fitting GIRUY to his detractors.[emoji4]

7 hours ago, FTOF said:

You're correct, however, Flynn is probably our best player (definitely our best midfielder by a mile) and would do a job almost anymore i'd imagine (remember he was slated by many for not being up to scratch in the Championship never mind top league, bonkers!)

I believe SPS's point was that he should've been playing in his best position? Water under the bridge now though.

On 2/8/2020 at 8:23 PM, RossCSmfc said:

I'm not sure how emergency loan deals work, but Hibs have David Gray, Steven Whittaker, Tom James, & Adam Jackson on the books - all capable of playing RB. Paul McGinn will most likely be their first choice for the rest of the season. 

You playing silly season?  Stelios was mediocre in the Championship - yes he did some entertaining and positive things, but he could not defend nor header the ball.

David Gray - Durmus played him off the park recently, so much so that he was subbed at half time.

Tom James - The Hibs fans would love us to take him - he is a League one level player in my humble opinion.

Whittaker was a good player a while ago, but totally lacks any speed, hence why Hibs have been playing him in the middle of the park and not in defence..

Adam Jackson is a regular first team player at Hibs, I cannot see them cancelling his contract as he is a player that they utilise . . . 

We will be looking elsewhere - no doubt !

Edited by Sweeper07

On 2/9/2020 at 1:56 PM, stlucifer said:

Dmytro Ulianov.

Can play right or left back.

Lets get him in for LB and we can sign someone else for RB... the need is just as great in both FB positions.

Where was Waters at the goal against us against Well and against Hamilton and against many of the others we have lost this season . . .

On 2/9/2020 at 8:09 AM, Ethan said:

Surely we have an under 21 player who could be given the chance to step up. 

NAW - we sent him out to Barnsley for whatever reason . . . maybe we did not think we could pick up a couple of injuries to defenders or something like that . . .

56 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Lets get him in for LB and we can sign someone else for RB... the need is just as great in both FB positions.

Where was Waters at the goal against us against Well and against Hamilton and against many of the others we have lost this season . . .

Imagine the left back covering the left hand side of the goals after the goalkeeper has made a block that has gone back towards the penalty spot. If anyone was to blame (I don't necessarily think there was) in that situation then possibly McCarthy could have got closer to the ball than he did but to hold Waters culpable for that goal is daft......there are others that he could have done better at but probably true for most of our defenders.