Defenders

1 hour ago, Sweeper07 said:

Lets get him in for LB and we can sign someone else for RB... the need is just as great in both FB positions.

Where was Waters at the goal against us against Well and against Hamilton and against many of the others we have lost this season . . .

Have a look at Saturdays highlights and then come back and say you absolutely probably got that wrong......

Nothing to do with Waters.

39 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

It's funny, Waters has become a target and gets it week in week out.

Not saying he should be escaping criticism but he's become the standard target, yet others are untouchable.

Nothing new here right enough. 

So who is untouchable then?

As far as I can see just about every player has had warranted criticism at points throughout the season.

Anyway, JG stated today that they don't think that Hodson's injury as bad as first thought.

Edited by FTOF

24 minutes ago, Ethan said:

We should have both a left and right back youth player not just Ethan. 

I'm sure we do. However, I doubt JG sees them as a long term replacement for any injuries. McManus will be able to tell JG who is ready to step in and who is not.

Nick McAllister might have been an option, but he's out on loan.

Guest TPAFKATS
So who is untouchable then?
As far as I can see just about every player has had warranted criticism at points throughout the season.
Anyway, JG stated today that they don't think that Hodson's injury as bad as first thought.

Saw this, apparently could face Livi on Wed.
Could be dodgy with a hamstring though.

26 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Saw this, apparently could face Livi on Wed.
Could be dodgy with a hamstring though.

I doubt he'll be risked, with MacPherson able to act as a stop gap.

Who replaces MacPherson in midfield to support Foley is anyone's guess.

On 2/10/2020 at 4:28 PM, WeeBud said:

Imagine the left back covering the left hand side of the goals after the goalkeeper has made a block that has gone back towards the penalty spot. If anyone was to blame (I don't necessarily think there was) in that situation then possibly McCarthy could have got closer to the ball than he did but to hold Waters culpable for that goal is daft......there are others that he could have done better at but probably true for most of our defenders.

Between Waters and McCarthy neither covered the goal scorer I agree - but far too often Waters in negligent as a defender and useless going forwards...

Good to see that JG has finally did something about it - Welcome to Left wing back Ross Wallace !!

2 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Between Waters and McCarthy neither covered the goal scorer I agree - but far too often Waters in negligent as a defender and useless going forwards...

Good to see that JG has finally did something about it - Welcome to Left wing back Ross Wallace !!

You’re at it, Waters was coming across from marking the guy on the outside and covered his side of the goal.....there is no way he was at fault for that goal.

On 2/10/2020 at 6:19 PM, Ethan said:

Hodson has been a weaker link than Waters recently. The lad deserves a break. 

What has he added positively at any point this season?

How many goals has he been at fault with?

Waters does not score well on either of these points.

He is Mr back or sideways pass, leaves wingers too much space and gets out-jumped in the box all the time.... He is the weakest player in the 1 st 11 over the season.

7 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

You’re at it, Waters was coming across from marking the guy on the outside and covered his side of the goal.....there is no way he was at fault for that goal.

Okay he is not the primary guy at fault in the Well game, Hodson is unlucky but his interception does not help, Waters and McCarthy both hesitate instead of shutting down the goal scorer. Waters stops and thinks about it before running towards the goal.

But in the Hamilton game - yet again he gets outjumped by the striker who headers in on for their goal.

I could trail through other weeks - he is culpable far too often . . . Thankfully Ross Wallace can both defend at LB and add something going forwards . . . 👍

16 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

Okay he is not the primary guy at fault in the Well game, Hodson is unlucky but his interception does not help, Waters and McCarthy both hesitate instead of shutting down the goal scorer. Waters stops and thinks about it before running towards the goal.

But in the Hamilton game - yet again he gets outjumped by the striker who headers in on for their goal.

I could trail through other weeks - he is culpable far too often . . . Thankfully Ross Wallace can both defend at LB and add something going forwards . . . 👍

In case you forgot Hodson gave away a needless penalty against Accies and fell on his arse for Well's first goal allowing law clean through. Minutes before half time Hodson also headed a ball from the edge of the penalty box into the middle to Long who hit a rasper past the post. Terrible defending.

Waters had been poor IMHO up until Xmas. My complaint wasn't so much defensively rather that he would take no responsibility and not support Ilkay. He constantly passed inside and backwards leaving Ilkay frustrated as he was rarely getting the ball or support. However someone has been working on Waters over the holidays as his confidence and forward thinking have improved no end resulting in Ilkay having excellent games as he now has support.

My original point was that Hodson was playing far worse than Waters in the last two games which is the case.

So 5ft 6 Wallace will improve us in the air defensively ?

I could trail through other weeks - he is culpable far too often . . . Thankfully Ross Wallace can both defend at LB and add something going forwards . . . [emoji106]

21 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

But we don’t play with wing backs and Ross Wallace isn’t a wing back in any case 

:1eye