The Relegation Battle - Season 19/20

W6er

1 hour ago, munoz said:

What do the bookies know (see last week's coupon) . 

A draw on Tuesday might be enough (penalties) , but if we can somehow get the win on Friday- massive. 

There's not a lot pointing towards us winning 2 games on the trot.

We've blown umpteen chances, the biggest being at home to Hamilton.

Poor starting lineup, one bad penalty kick away from losing. 

Your last sentence smacks of desperation rather than belief, that's where we are. 

4 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Why the constant attacks on Waters, he's probably our most steady performer since the break, barely put a foot wrong. Don't get this need for the Obika / Waters scapegoating.

Ok to be fair I have been giving Waters pelters and since the break he has performed a good bit better than up till the break. But I don't rate him. Have a look back at many of the goals we have lost - he is more culpable than anyone else who has played that many games or there abouts.

What does he offer going forwards? Not much - has he managed a cross into the box that has led to any goals?

Is he a decent passer? Aye if sideways or backwards is what we are looking for?

Where do you rate him in our 1st 11  since he is a regular?

I'm happy for him to do his job - defend. We don't play with wing backs hence neither fb is getting forward, that's the way Goodwin has the team set up. There is no other LB at the club (at a push Wallace might be able to go back to playing that way but he is clearly not ready to go) so how he rates is irrelevant, if fit and eligible he will start. Seems our support always need a boo boy and currently Waters and Obika seem to be the bogey men so to speak.

Ok to be fair I have been giving Waters pelters and since the break he has performed a good bit better than up till the break. But I don't rate him. Have a look back at many of the goals we have lost - he is more culpable than anyone else who has played that many games or there abouts.
What does he offer going forwards? Not much - has he managed a cross into the box that has led to any goals?
Is he a decent passer? Aye if sideways or backwards is what we are looking for?
Where do you rate him in our 1st 11  since he is a regular?

If we lose on Friday, I would say a playoff position is the best we can hope for. 

The lack of points away from home is worrying with both Hearts and Accies likely to have home games against us after the split. 

I would take a playoff the now since I feel the standard of the  championship teams have dropped this season. 

21 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Indeed, an opinion based on many factors, mainly an improvement in form from St Johnstone and the form of other teams. 

Your opinion is based on the voices in your head.

Clueless. :1eye

He probably couldn't make out what they were telling him due to the echoes.

Nail on the head Tommy before Livingston we had 8 away games from 13 the lack of points or even good performances away is a big worry.

The 5 home games with 2 being Rangers and Hearts will be extremely difficult to get more than 3 points, that leaves us with a big struggle to even get 30 points this season.

I have been saying most of the season we won't face a play off against anybody as tough as United this season imo we should defeat anybody down there my main worry is do the players have the bottle for a fight we had big characters(Popescu, Mckenzie, Mullen etc) last season driving us on don't see that this season.

If we lose on Friday, I would say a playoff position is the best we can hope for. 
The lack of points away from home is worrying with both Hearts and Accies likely to have home games against us after the split. 
I would take a playoff the now since I feel the standard of the  championship teams have dropped this season. 

7 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Nail on the head Tommy before Livingston we had 8 away games from 13 the lack of points or even good performances away is a big worry.

The 5 home games with 2 being Rangers and Hearts will be extremely difficult to get more than 3 points, that leaves us with a big struggle to even get 30 points this season.

I have been saying most of the season we won't face a play off against anybody as tough as United this season imo we should defeat anybody down there my main worry is do the players have the bottle for a fight we had big characters(Popescu, Mckenzie, Mullen etc) last season driving us on don't see that this season.

All to play for I think and could go to the last day or play offs. No lack of interest. Every match means something. Time for players (and us fans) to step up to the mark. At least we know that we have done so before from a worse position than this. We will, hopefully, have McGinn and Mackenzie back for the run in. Danny is still around. Got a cameo appearance at Livingstone. 

8 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

I'm happy for him to do his job - defend. We don't play with wing backs hence neither fb is getting forward, that's the way Goodwin has the team set up. There is no other LB at the club (at a push Wallace might be able to go back to playing that way but he is clearly not ready to go) so how he rates is irrelevant, if fit and eligible he will start. Seems our support always need a boo boy and currently Waters and Obika seem to be the bogey men so to speak.

I think your outlook is pretty fair. AND yes fans always want our players to be perfect, so target those who are not - the poorer ones in (their/our) opinions get the biggest abuse.

Initially I was not impressed with McLoughlin, but he soon stepped up. I personally think that Waters is not the best defender. I think he tries to do his thing and sometimes does it fine, but he has been culpable in far too many of our goals against this season and I think he has been the weakest link defensively all season long. I agree that since the window that has not been so obvious, so I hope I am proved wrong in these final matches.

I think today there are not many LB's that are only expected to defend though. That is the main reason I think Wallace has been brought in . . . though taking Durmus's place is another possibility. He has been better recently but he too is weaker at supporting the defence than say Foley or MacPherson.

Obika is a odd mix. Physically strong, sometimes has a dreadful touch, doesn't seem to win nearly enough headers in the opposition box, but still chips in with goals - and lets be honest that's what wins or loses games... I am hopeful with the extra competition and better service he will assist and score plenty more and we will be fine... so long as we don't badly leak at the other end . . .

Relevant games today:

Aberdeen vs Ross County

Hamilton vs Motherwell

Hopefully the 'well players will have recovered mentally and physically from the midweek game. Being a derby it will be a difficult game. Motherwell won there comfortably back in August, but lost the second fixture at home, which I believe was Hamilton's last win in the league. Motherwell have lost their last three matches.

Conversely, let's hope Aberdeen are on a high after their midweek cup triumph. They're experiencing a poor run of form at the moment, having won once in the league in their last five fixtures.

2 hours ago, W6er said:

Relevant games today:

Aberdeen vs Ross County

Hamilton vs Motherwell

Hopefully the 'well players will have recovered mentally and physically from the midweek game. Being a derby it will be a difficult game. Motherwell won there comfortably back in August, but lost the second fixture at home, which I believe was Hamilton's last win in the league. Motherwell have lost their last three matches.

Conversely, let's hope Aberdeen are on a high after their midweek cup triumph. They're experiencing a poor run of form at the moment, having won once in the league in their last five fixtures.

Cant see Aberdeen slipping up against County,  but the Hamilton game looks like a closer affair.