The Relegation Battle - Season 19/20

W6er

On 2/22/2020 at 10:42 PM, W6er said:

We actually finished season 12/13 in 11th spot with 41 points! Hearts finished tenth that season with 44 points. Hearts also would have ended season 13/14 with 38 points were it not for the 15 point penalty.

I reckon a target of 40 points is both realistic and should see us avoid the bottom two positions. In which case we'll need 18 points from the 36 available. Don't get me wrong, last season Hamilton did it with 33 points, but I suspect we will need more this year.

40 points might sound like a lot, but there are actually 15 points available post-split. 

So we have:

Motherwell (a)

St. Johnstone (h)

Celtic (a)

Kilmarnock (a)

Rangers (h)

Ross County (a)

TBC - Hearts (h)

Plus (as things stand):

Hearts (a)

Hamilton (a)

Ross County (h)

St Johnstone (a)

Kilmarnock (h)

Obviously the post-split fixture have yet to be confirmed, but those above appear likely. Therefore:

Home: St. Johnstone, Rangers, Hearts, Ross County and Kilmarnock.

Away: Motherwell, Celtic, Kilmarnock, Ross County, Hearts, Hamilton and St. Johnstone

So we now need 15 points from 33 available. 

46 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Proves the bleedin obvious, what a difference a win makes.

Rockets us from 2nd bottom to 6th. 

I mean, it's very modest but if we even recreate that points total in our next 10 games, it should be enough to see us over the line.

3 of our next 4 games are massive opportunities to build on tonight, though and with quite a bit of optimism to boot. 

Hearts remain in bad shape.

We've been the better side against a (admittedly now rejuvenated) St. Johnstone side in both games.

We pummelled Killie at Rugby Park earlier in the season and still somehow conspired to lose 1-0.

On 2/22/2020 at 5:14 PM, djchapsticks said:

For sure. I'm not even really interested in looking at pulling County back any more. I now just want us to get as much points between us and the bottom two as possible before the split.

We need to be aiming for maximum points from Tuesday (Motherwell have had a good season but injuries and loss of form are beginning to tell) and our next home game against St. Johnstone. Celtic away, is a write off but after that, it looks like we'll squeeze the Hearts game in on that midweek.

Being a hard side to beat isn't going to cut it now, teams who were in the mixer with us have been winning when the pressure is on and we now need to do it.

Thanks St. Mirren. You're too kind. x

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

I mean, it's very modest but if we even recreate that points total in our next 10 games, it should be enough to see us over the line.

3 of our next 4 games are massive opportunities to build on tonight, though and with quite a bit of optimism to boot. 

Hearts remain in bad shape.

We've been the better side against a (admittedly now rejuvenated) St. Johnstone side in both games.

We pummelled Killie at Rugby Park earlier in the season and still somehow conspired to lose 1-0.

St Johnstone, as you indicate, are on a completely different run of form, especially since the last game we played them when they were honking. 

IMO, even with our improved form, they will not lose against us. 

Aye, Hearts are certainly not showing what I thought they would and time is running out. 

Anyway, one game at a time, Aberdeen, who I hoped we'd play, are next and are erratic.

Not impossible we can beat them.

IF they play their best they will win, IMO, but they can equally be shite.

Fingers crossed for Saturday night. 

Just now, faraway saint said:

St Johnstone, as you indicate, are on a completely different run of form, especially since the last game we played them when they were honking. 

IMO, even with our improved form, they will not lose against us. 

Aye, Hearts are certainly not showing what I thought they would and time is running out. 

Anyway, one game at a time, Aberdeen, who I hoped we'd play, are next and are erratic.

Not impossible we can beat them.

IF they play their best they will win, IMO, but they can equally be shite.

Fingers crossed for Saturday night. 

I get the importance of the cup, but for me Saturday is a bit of a free hit, a welcome relief. If we win, it becomes a big opportunity.

If you go on form and previous meetings at our patch this season, we are the team who look more likely to be honest.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I get the importance of the cup, but for me Saturday is a bit of a free hit, a welcome relief. If we win, it becomes a big opportunity.

If you go on form and previous meetings at our patch this season, we are the team who look more likely to be honest.

Not buying a National Cup quarter final is a free hit.

That's a cop out attitude, and I hope the manager doesn't see it the same as you. 

It is what it is, a massive chance to get to a semi final, make some decent money and lift the confidence to a level that could easily see us sail through the next few games.

Lose, and we're back to "heads or tails" in the next few games, not where I'd like to be. 

2 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

That's a cop out attitude, and I hope the manager doesn't see it the same as you. 

It is what it is, a massive chance to get to a semi final, make some decent money and lift the confidence to a level that could easily see us sail through the next few games.

Lose, and we're back to "heads or tails" in the next few games, not where I'd like to be. 

By 'free hit' I meant more from my point of view. I'm living on a nerve with just about every league game just now whereas I've been a bit more relaxed during the cup games.

So I mean it's a welcome relief for my blood pressure! :lol:

Just now, djchapsticks said:

By 'free hit' I meant more from my point of view. I'm living on a nerve with just about every league game just now whereas I've been a bit more relaxed during the cup games.

So I mean it's a welcome relief for my blood pressure! :lol:

I know you're a nervous wreck, I had an ambulance on stand by for weeks for you, never fear. :lol:

16 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Partially agree. The cup brings in potentially very decent money at the semi final stage and the excitement that goes with the one game away from the final thing. 

I can see the logic of added confidence but I don't buy into your simple approach leading to low morale and patchy performance. Very much the view of an amateur 

Massive game tonight with the Edinburgh derby.  With Hibs still with an outside chance of 3rd place and Hearts desperately needing a league win, I can see this being close. 

A draw wouldn't be a disaster for us, but obviously a Hibs win is what we are looking for. 

3-1 Hibs.

Really hoping for a solid Hibs win. I expect Hearts to slowly start turning things round, but if a few decent teams get some hits in before they are up to speed then the gap might be too big for them to claw back to us, once we are only playing fellow diddy teams.

Edited by southsidebud

29 minutes ago, southsidebud said:

Really hoping for a solid Hibs win. I expect Hearts to slowly start turning things round, but if a few decent teams get some hits in before they are up to speed then the gap might be too big for them to claw back to us, once we are only playing fellow diddy teams.

44 minutes ago, munoz said:

Massive game tonight with the Edinburgh derby.  With Hibs still with an outside chance of 3rd place and Hearts desperately needing a league win, I can see this being close. 

A draw wouldn't be a disaster for us, but obviously a Hibs win is what we are looking for. 

3-1 Hibs.

Hibs win would be just what we need. Draw would be OK.  If we win on Wednesday and RC and Hamilton lose, then things get even more interesting. What a season. 

1 minute ago, Bud the Baker said:

A 4 point lead at the split is normally enough to see a team safe - if we can maintain the current differentials till then it will take something special to get relegated.

And Saints could certainly (not) surprise us and pull that kind of form from up their sleeve!  :o

I would put "What A Season" at end of Championship winning season or "What a 2nd half of Season" the run from Ayr away in February to Hibs Away in April to avoid relegation.

"What a season" to me suggests something great has happened this season has been like the other 6 from last 7, fighting relegation, poor performances, months without winning, being constantly frustrated with the team etc etc etc.

I have mentioned this to you before this is the worst SPL season in years and years and has been a dreadful watch all season.

Kilmarnock 3rd last 2 seasons bottom 6 in danger of relegation, 11 defeats in a row manager sacked.

Hibs only 1 victory v St Mirren first 12 games, in danger of relegation manager sacked.

Hearts 2 home wins all season in danger of relegation manager sacked.

St Johnstone, regular top 6, in danger of relegation manager on verge of walking away.

I could go on and on imo only Celtic and Livingston fans can be happy with their season everyone else??? Well you work it out.

Hibs win would be just what we need. Draw would be OK.  If we win on Wednesday and RC and Hamilton lose, then things get even more interesting. What a season. 

15 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I would put "What A Season" at end of Championship winning season or "What a 2nd half of Season" the run from Ayr away in February to Hibs Away in April to avoid relegation.

"What a season" to me suggests something great has happened this season has been like the other 6 from last 7, fighting relegation, poor performances, months without winning, being constantly frustrated with the team etc etc etc.

I have mentioned this to you before this is the worst SPL season in years and years and has been a dreadful watch all season.

Kilmarnock 3rd last 2 seasons bottom 6 in danger of relegation, 11 defeats in a row manager sacked.

Hibs only 1 victory v St Mirren first 12 games, in danger of relegation manager sacked.

Hearts 2 home wins all season in danger of relegation manager sacked.

St Johnstone, regular top 6, in danger of relegation manager on verge of walking away.

I could go on and on imo only Celtic and Livingston fans can be happy with their season everyone else??? Well you work it out.

What a season. Two horse race for much of the time at the top end. Good battle for 3rd and 4th spot. Livvy the surprise package. Hearts at the bottom. The rest, including us, differentiated only by a few wins with most having a spell in the bottom 2 or 3 and still all to play for by the bottom 3 or even maybe 4 teams. That is quite a season!