The Relegation Battle - Season 19/20

W6er

20 hours ago, waldorf34 said:

By the end of Wednesday  night we could be bottom of the league  with Rangers still to play , and the hardest run in!

We have nine games left, eight of them against bottom six sides. Don't know how that equates to the hardest run in, it's no worse than the other sides, and the post split games haven't been announced but we are due three at home. 

Having said that, Açcies and Hearts recent resurgence has me more than slightly concerned.

Just now, Hendo said:

We have nine games left, eight of them against bottom six sides. Don't know how that equates to the hardest run in, it's no worse than the other sides, and the post split games haven't been announced but we are due three at home. 

Having said that, Açcies and Hearts recent resurgence has me more than slightly concerned.

Genuinely think we are better than Hamilton but probably thats it.

It’s not over till the fat lady sings. We have outplayed Kilmarnock, Aberdeen and Motherwell this season, I think we are better than Hamilton, however they have had there slice of luck ( two shots on target today and one was the winning penalty) we are due ours which will probably come along post split.

I honestly think it will be between us and Ross County for the two bottom berths. I would be confident playing any of the teams in the championship in a playoff. 

Just now, faraway saint said:

Nothing between them ans us IMO.

Remember, they were one bad penalty kick from taking all 4 points against us a few weeks ago.

I think we have the better players. However, they play well as a team and can grind out results,  their pitch gives them an advantage and they are dirty bastards. Probably right - not much in it.

20 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

It’s not over till the fat lady sings. We have outplayed Kilmarnock, Aberdeen and Motherwell this season, I think we are better than Hamilton, however they have had there slice of luck ( two shots on target today and one was the winning penalty) we are due ours which will probably come along post split.

I honestly think it will be between us and Ross County for the two bottom berths. I would be confident playing any of the teams in the championship in a playoff. 

Absolutely right. Now a bottom 4 with hardly a gap between us. Not over. Not a dull moment. Its what football at our level is all about. 

Oh you forgot the we have only lost 2 in 10 brigade & also the I would be happy with a draw this week and next week rather than lose 1 win 1 to gain more points.

image.png.53462b92864b96a6ebdc7914eff39615.png
Remember them days were miles in front of Hamilton and Hearts and all the desperadoes were crowing about goal difference? 

1 hour ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Nothing to do with luck

They worker harder than everyone else and pick up results doing so

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

image.png.53462b92864b96a6ebdc7914eff39615.png

Remember them days were miles in front of Hamilton and Hearts and all the desperadoes were crowing about goal difference? 

Not too long ago we were behind Hamilton - here is the table from the 4th Dec.  Not very much has changed between us Hamilton, Hearts - though we have reigned in RC

7   Ross County 16 -16 17
8   Livingston 16 -7 15
9   Hearts 15 -10 12
10   Hamilton 16 -13 12

11   St Johnstone 15 -20 12

12   St Mirren 16 -13 11

49 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Not too long ago we were behind Hamilton - here is the table from the 4th Dec.  Not very much has changed between us Hamilton, Hearts - though we have reigned in RC

7   Ross County 16 -16 17
8   Livingston 16 -7 15
9   Hearts 15 -10 12
10   Hamilton 16 -13 12

11   St Johnstone 15 -20 12

12   St Mirren 16 -13 11

Not long ago?

Over 3 months FFS.

Aye, don't forget St Johnstone & Livingstone have left us for dead. 

:lol:

4 hours ago, Dickson said:

I don't know about that Ricky. I was at the St Johnstone game. There was a least 90 extremely dull moments that'll no be getting back. 

No denying that some of the games have been a hard watch at times but still tense and meaningful SD. Peppered with spells of some good football but not enough goals for. 

2 hours ago, Dickson said:

What is "good football" Ricky? 

The best 45 minutes of football, by far, that I have seen from St Mirren this season was in that first half performance against Motherwell at Fir Park. It helped that Motherwell had their worst 45 minutes at the same time but St Mirren were superb. They had a relatively high press, got the ball forward quickly, the midfield supported the front two, and at half time St Mirren were 4-1 up away from home to the side who were third in the league table. 

They followed that with a dreadful second half where instead of getting in Motherwell's faces they dropped off deep, let Motherwell launch wave after wave of attack and found that because the front players were left isolated we had no threat and couldn't retain possession. 

You'd think the manager would learn something from that but against Aberdeen, St Johnstone and Celtic he's got his players reverting to type, dropping deep when out of possession, leaving the front men isolated and against both Aberdeen and St Johnstone far too slow in possession to cause either any threat when St Mirren have the ball. On Wednesday night Goodwin was happy to boast that St Mirren had dominated possession but it's not the time on the ball that matters, it's what you do with it when you have it that counts. 

Opinions are just that SD, opinions. Our failure to score is our weakness. We do have games with lots of possession. In the modern game, you are right, it means little as our Ibrox Neighbours found out against Hamilton. Teams sit in and cede the ball to their opponents and hit on the break. Very seldom do we see two sides opening out and slugging it out. The majority of our games have been close and competitive. Tactically, most teams favour a defensive approach and we are no different. The cup game at Motherwell was an exception as both teams went for it. That was very enjoyable. I don't expect it in the league. I expect us to be hard to score against. I expect us to have chances. What I don't see enough of is a midfield slide rule pass or a winger hitting the bye line and crossing to provide ammunition for our strikers..

The remaining pre-split fixtures:

Hamilton

Ross County (a)

Hibs (h)

St Johnstone (a)

Hearts

St. Mirren (a)

Livingston (a)

Ross County (h)

Aberdeen (a)

Ross County

Hamilton (h)

Hearts (a)

St. Mirren (h)

St. Mirren

Hearts (h)

Kilmarnock (a)

Rangers (h)

Ross County (a)

Kilmarnock

St. Mirren (h)

Motherwell (a)

Livingston (h)

1680163806_BottomSix08Mar.thumb.jpg.6196d40bdab885f707d6a00a118e03e4.jpg

I think Kilmarnock are now in the mix too, though obviously they're the least likely candidate. However if we win our next two games we will be a single point behind them!

We now need 14 points from the remaining 27 available:

Remaining fixtures:

Hearts (h)

Kilmarnock (a)

Rangers (h)

Ross County (a)

*Hearts (a)

*Hamilton (a)

*Ross County (h)

*St Johnstone (a)

*Kilmarnock (h)

*Predicted post-split games

We now have only one game left to play against a top six side, so each and every game is massive unless we guarantee our status before the last game of the season.

18 hours ago, W6er said:

The remaining pre-split fixtures:

Hamilton

Ross County (a)

Hibs (h)

St Johnstone (a)

Hearts

St. Mirren (a)

Livingston (a)

Ross County (h)

Aberdeen (a)

Ross County

Hamilton (h)

Hearts (a)

St. Mirren (h)

St. Mirren

Hearts (h)

Kilmarnock (a)

Rangers (h)

Ross County (a)

Kilmarnock

St. Mirren (h)

Motherwell (a)

Livingston (h)

1680163806_BottomSix08Mar.thumb.jpg.6196d40bdab885f707d6a00a118e03e4.jpg

I think Kilmarnock are now in the mix too, though obviously they're the least likely candidate. However if we win our next two games we will be a single point behind them!

We now need 14 points from the remaining 27 available:

Remaining fixtures:

Hearts (h)

Kilmarnock (a)

Rangers (h)

Ross County (a)

*Hearts (a)

*Hamilton (a)

*Ross County (h)

*St Johnstone (a)

*Kilmarnock (h)

*Predicted post-split games

We now have only one game left to play against a top six side, so each and every game is massive unless we guarantee our status before the last game of the season.

No easy games for anyone. 

All to play for. 

On 3/9/2020 at 8:23 AM, DougJamie said:

On form we are going to be bottom 2 unless we start scoring. Since Well league game that no goals 7 against. Jim must change it up. Mcginn being sold seems as daft as getting rid of KMclean...  

And did you see McGinn against Hearts - dreadful !

5 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

He wasn't but the poster I responded to was bemoaning we had sold him . . .

And you highlighted him in a game where he wasn't alone in being poor. :hammer

Don't get me wrong, there's usually a tendency for people to raise the standard of players that leave. 

It looks like we've have had many Messi's on our books in the past.