The Relegation Battle - Season 19/20

W6er

I would rather extend a welcome to fans who are as passionate about their team as we are. That's the civilised thing to do. 

On the field of play, however, I hope Saints roast the Hearts players and give us, the home support a night to remember. 

COYS

7 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

I would rather extend a welcome to fans who are as passionate about their team as we are. That's the civilised thing to do. 

On the field of play, however, I hope Saints roast the Hearts players and give us, the home support a night to remember. 

COYS

Funnily enough I've just been reading Kickback:

1753332372_SaintsvHearts-banter.jpg.b7a7d6bb52bc8a9e7799ae75f08a5dc3.jpg

We're also referred to as Wee Celtic, if my memory serves me correctly.

The only thing that's sure is that this is going to the wire. Coronavirus permitting. If we win tomorrow by a few goals the GD is reasonably healthy as is the points differential. Should we lose we are bottom and its panic stations, but not adrift, and with all the bottom feeders to play. Either way if we win tomorrow, we will still contrive to be in the mire right to the end, and if we lose or draw we'll still contrive to be in the mire right to the end. So it's not a must win, or must not lose. Whatever the result I predict we go to match day 38 still not safe.

All that as an aside. We cannot persist with Morias and Andreu. The former is a has not and the latter is a has been. Jon and Jak up top. Chabbi on for last 30 after Jak runs himself into the ground. McGrath not to feature. Foley, MacPherson, Durmus and Wallace middle of park. Defence picks itself. McAllister as an impact sub and Mullen on if need a late goal. If this doesnt happen please bin Mr Goodwin and get me in the for Killie game [emoji38]

On 2/22/2020 at 4:46 PM, faraway saint said:

Ross County winning, then there were three. 

On 2/22/2020 at 5:08 PM, faraway saint said:

Aye, I'd rather be County with points on the board.

On 3/7/2020 at 5:04 PM, faraway saint said:

image.png.53462b92864b96a6ebdc7914eff39615.png

Remember them days were miles in front of Hamilton and Hearts and all the desperadoes were crowing about goal difference? 

Aye the 1st post was a response to BTB who said RC were safe - so does that mean that we are now safe too ?

The second point was fair enough, but what we have done since has been better !

Aye and we are back 2 points above Hamilton (despite them winning their last 2 - both unexpectedly at that) and SIX clear of Hearts with the bonus of being above RC on GD too - bring them on !  :spud7

1 minute ago, Sweeper07 said:

Aye the 1st post was a response to BTB who said RC were safe - so does that mean that we are now safe too ?

The second point was fair enough, but what we have done since has been better !

Aye and we are back 2 points above Hamilton (despite them winning their last 2 - both unexpectedly at that) and SIX clear of Hearts with the bonus of being above RC on GD too - bring them on !  :spud7

You're not very bright, understatement. 🤡

AT THE TIME wouldn't you have rather have had points on the board? :hammer

As for Hamilton winning unexpectedly, that's exactly what we've done against Aberdeen and Motherwell, don't see you shouting about that? :byebye

23 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

COYS

And we did! 

Just now, southsidebud said:

Apart from Rangers all our remaining games are fellow bottom six clubs (at least when we play then in Killie's case) - so all winnable.

May as well beat Rangers while we're at it.

I've said for a few weeks this is a real possibility.

They are piss poor, were lucky against RC on Sunday.

Depends how we set up, please not the "parking the bus" approach. 

Great result tonight, it takes the gap between us & Hearts back to the 6 points it was before the January break, we've caught Ross County & even increased our gap on Hamilton from 1 point to 2 (see all below) obviously there's no room for complacency but as I said elsewhere our form since the break has been reasonable and the real outliers in terms of results were Accies two last week.   

As It Stood

Team P GD Pts
1   Celtic 20 42 52

2   Rangers 19 42 50
3   Motherwell 21 6 37

4   Aberdeen 21 4 36
5   Livingston 21 1 25
6   Hibernian 21 -7 25
7   Kilmarnock 21 -7 23
8   Ross County 20 -20 21
9   St Johnstone 19 -18 20
10   St Mirren 21 -12 19

11   Hamilton 21 -14 18

12   Hearts 21 -17 13

You would think definitely, to be fair I thought they were safe as the chances of all 3 teams below them winning enough games to trouble County looked very unlikely 2/3 weeks ago.

County have a strange run of fixtures that is either good or bad depending how you look at it, they have 8 games left -
2 v St Mirren
2 v Hamilton
2 v Hearts
1 v St Johnstone
1 v Kilmarnock.

Everything is in their hands with fixtures like that.

Panic stations for Ross County now?

15 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

You would think definitely, to be fair I thought they were safe as the chances of all 3 teams below them winning enough games to trouble County looked very unlikely 2/3 weeks ago.

County have a strange run of fixtures that is either good or bad depending how you look at it, they have 8 games left -
2 v St Mirren
2 v Hamilton
2 v Hearts
1 v St Johnstone
1 v Kilmarnock.

Everything is in their hands with fixtures like that.

I was saying that RC were not out of danger but getting pelters for it. I've booked a hotel up there for the game as I thought it might be a 6 pointer.. 

We now need 11 points from the remaining 24 available:

Remaining fixtures:

Kilmarnock (a)

Rangers (h)

Ross County (a)

*Hearts (a)

*Hamilton (a)

*Ross County (h)

*St Johnstone (a)

*Kilmarnock (h)

*Predicted post-split games

18 hours ago, Ice-tears said:

You do not get a 6 pointer, stupid comment, the most u can get is 3 points.

The phrase is not about getting 6 points. It's about differences in potential outcomes.

If we are both on level points before the game then a win for us puts us 3 pts ahead of them and a defeat puts us 3 points behind.

The difference between those two scenarios is a 6 point swing.

Now, pretty please, stop being a bellend and play like an adult.

12 minutes ago, W6er said:

Remaining fixtures:

Kilmarnock (a)

Rangers (h)

Ross County (a)

*Hearts (a)

*Hamilton (a)

*Ross County (h)

*St Johnstone (a)

*Kilmarnock (h)

Unlikely but winning our home games would leave us needing 2 points from 5 away games.

Critical for us are two games v Ross County, one v Hamilton and one v Hearts. 

2 hours ago, W6er said:

Remaining fixtures:

Kilmarnock (a)

Rangers (h)

Ross County (a)

*Hearts (a)

*Hamilton (a)

*Ross County (h)

*St Johnstone (a)

*Kilmarnock (h)

We have played 15 home and away games.  Why would we have 5 away and only 3 home left. After 33 games we will have played 16 home and 17 away. By your calculation we will play 18 home games and 20 away?

1 hour ago, nedflanders123 said:

We have played 15 home and away games.  Why would we have 5 away and only 3 home left. After 33 games we will have played 16 home and 17 away. By your calculation we will play 18 home games and 20 away?

Playing 18 at home and 20 away is quite common and I think that's what will happen to us this season.

We've already played Hearts. Hamilton and St J twice at home.

Edited by oaksoft

My worry is the injuries to MacPherson and McCarthy.

Lose them for games after the split would be worrying and while I am not trying to sound like elvis, I would fear the worst if this happens.

We got away with it on wed but fear the thought of doing without them for the rest of the season.

Is their no way we can get Baird back due to the injuries that the club have in defence ?

Assuming MacKenzie is not going to be available for the split for a change.  

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

My worry is the injuries to MacPherson and McCarthy.

Lose them for games after the split would be worrying and while I am not trying to sound like elvis, I would fear the worst if this happens.

We got away with it on wed but fear the thought of doing without them for the rest of the season.

Is their no way we can get Baird back due to the injuries that the club have in defence ?

Assuming MacKenzie is not going to be available for the split for a change.  

At this rate I'm not sure there's going to be a "rest of the season".

It's looking very likely that we are about to close down all football early next week.

At this rate I'm not sure there's going to be a "rest of the season".
It's looking very likely that we are about to close down all football early next week.
Only a few days out, well done you [emoji106]
If, and a big if, the season does continue at some point we might even see MacKenzie back [emoji23]