Bank Branches

Bud the Baker

I do (nearly all) of my banking online these days (bet that surprises @Eric Arthur Blair) but I went in today to get rid of my old coins - I was in earlyish 9:30 and was the only customer amidst 7/8 bank staff. I did my business and on the way out another customer was just getting in but still not a good ratio.

I know there's been plenty closures over recent years but even so I predict a riot erm more closures. 

PS - Nice work if you can get it!

5 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

I do (nearly all) of my banking online these days (bet that surprises @Eric Arthur Blair) but I went in today to get rid of my old coins - I was in earlyish 9:30 and was the only customer amidst 7/8 bank staff. I did my business and on the way out another customer was just getting in but still not a good ratio.

I know there's been plenty closures over recent years but even so I predict a riot erm more closures. 

PS - Nice work if you can get it!

It shouldn't be a surprise. The banks open after everyone has gone to work and then close before everyone gets home. Retail is the same in most towns and cities. You couldn't design a more stupid business model.

Both types of business are stuck in the 1950s when women largely stayed at home and were available for shopping.

Edited by oaksoft

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

It shouldn't be a surprise. The banks open after everyone has gone to work and then close before everyone gets home. Retail is the same in most towns and cities. You couldn't design a more stupid business model.

Both types of business are stuck in the 1950s when women largely stayed at home and were available for shopping.

Largely agree. Some progress in opening hours but not nearly enough. 

Bodmin used to have 5 banks but we are down to 2 now. HSBC, Barclays and NatWest all shut within a couple of years of each other.

The problem this causes in Cornwall is that it takes bloody ages to get anywhere else, so people are having to travel for a lengthy time just to visit their bank. I know it’s all about the internet these days, but you canny deposit cash through your f**king phone.

THIS ^^

5 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Bodmin used to have 5 banks but we are down to 2 now. HSBC, Barclays and NatWest all shut within a couple of years of each other.

The problem this causes in Cornwall is that it takes bloody ages to get anywhere else, so people are having to travel for a lengthy time just to visit their bank. I know it’s all about the internet these days, but you canny deposit cash through your f**king phone.

Talking of depositting cash, my bank has just decided to only allow full bags of cash to be deposited.

So if we try to pay in for example £37 in £1 coins they will only accept the full £20 bag. Hugely helpful as you can imagine. I asked the bank manager why they were doing this and he said "all the other banks are doing this". 

Given that I'm not banking with them, I have no idea why that's relevant. He actually walked off when I asked him that.

Fortunately my wife is made of tougher stuff. She goes in when it's quiet and when they challenge her she says "Sorry but this is what my boss gave me." and they process the cash for her.

I think they are running the branches down in prep for closure. There is no other reason for this behaviour.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Talking of depositting cash, my bank has just decided to only allow full bags of cash to be deposited.

So if we try to pay in for example £37 in £1 coins they will only accept the full £20 bag. Hugely helpful as you can imagine. I asked the bank manager why they were doing this and he said "all the other banks are doing this". 

Given that I'm not banking with them, I have no idea why that's relevant. He actually walked off when I asked him that.

Fortunately my wife is made of tougher stuff. She goes in when it's quiet and when they challenge her she says "Sorry but this is what my boss gave me." and they process the cash for her.

I think they are running the branches down in prep for closure. There is no other reason for this behaviour.

It is both petty and ridiculous. £37 is £37 whatever form it takes. Good on your wife for challenging them on this.

As you say in your final paragraph, they are heading towards this. But does this mean we enter a cashless society, or a society where you have to travel 50 miles just to deposit some bloody cash?

29 minutes ago, Yflab said:

£37 You need a better paper round!

Btw how can it be “my bank” in your first sentence and then a few sentences later you are not banking with them. 

Banks have traditionally charged businesses for handling cash. I'm a little surprised that Oaks is dealing in cash, especially coins. What happened to paperless etc? 

Haven’t used “my”  Bank of Scotland for a at least 40 years.

granted, I have no need of cash deposits.

have “always” been online all that time.

can’t comprehend why other than cashpoints, banks as a physical entity still exist!

(a pal managed a bank in Bloomsbury, then quit when they wanted him to be an Extortionist.. ) 

Edited by antrin

4 hours ago, Yflab said:

£37 You need a better paper round!

Btw how can it be “my bank” in your first sentence and then a few sentences later you are not banking with them. 

I think you have misunderstood.

£37 was an example.

I don't bank with the other banks so him bringing them up was irrelevant.

6 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I think you have misunderstood.

£37 was an example.

I don't bank with the other banks so him bringing them up was irrelevant.

It is normal for banks to charge for accepting cash deposits from client businesses. Since you are not a customer they might understandably, say no thanks. 

28 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

What an absolutely brainless post.

Did this sound clever in your head?

It happens to be true Oaky. Good luck to you.. You are getting a service that's normally charged for, for free. 

Don't know what business you are in.. A corner shop? Cash transactions are decreasing but you know that. 

Edited by St.Ricky

35 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

It happens to be true Oaky. Good luck to you.. You are getting a service that's normally charged for, for free. 

Don't know what business you are in.. A corner shop? Cash transactions are decreasing but you know that. 

That's as much as you should have posted.

23 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I think it would be for the best all round if you just stopped responding to my posts.

Oh dear.... Your own words. Your wife gets away with it. Not mine. It seems that the famous words from a film fits you. "You can't handle the truth". As usual you think it's OK to have a go at others but cry foul anytime you are challenged. Fly man might well be an apt description. But as I said.. Good for you if you can get away with it. 

Edited by St.Ricky

1 minute ago, Slartibartfast said:
19 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:
Oh dear.... Your own words. Your wife gets away with it. Not mine. Fly man might well be an apt description. But as I said.. Good for you if you can get away with it. 

You really haven't understood what he posted and you're just digging a bigger hole for yourself. I advise you to go back and read what he actually said. Or don't, your choice.

Oh I got it Slarti. His business deals in loose change. He gets asked to pay when he seeks to have it deposited or exchanged at a bank branch, a bank he isn't a client off. His wife, he says, doesn't so she goes in. Fly man.