Random Acts of Kindness Day 17 Feb

St.Ricky

Just now, Slartibartfast said:
37 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:
My first act of random kindness will to pay the food bill of the person before me at he Waitrose Checkout. 
I do it from time to time, as do my two sons, for elderly shoppers. Their smile makes it worth it. 

Right, everyone to Stirling Waitrose first thing tomorrow, load up your trolleys, Ricky's paying.

Lol. Need to be elderly. 

It's nice to be able to do it. 

I can recall having very little. 

4 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

So, the person has to be in a specific supermarket, in a specific town, at the same time as a specific person, be in a specific queue, right in front of this specific person and have only enough shopping that this specific person can afford to pay for at this specific time?

Random? I think not.

What is it about random that you don't understand? Jings. It's clear enough. If ( that's random) there is an elderly person in front of me at the tlll I will take the opportunity to treat him or her by paying for their food. As for my being able to afford it... Then yes. I'd be daft to do it if I couldn't pay! 

Edited by St.Ricky

5 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:
19 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:
What is it about random that you don't understand? Jings. It's clear enough. If ( that's random) there is an elderly person in front of me at the tlll I will take the opportunity to treat him or her by paying for their food. As for my being able to afford it... Then yes. I'd be daft to do it if I couldn't pay! 

It's you that doesn't seem to understand. If there are any conditions on it at all, then it isn't random.

Iffffffffffffffff

2 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Yes, if. If you have put conditions on it, it isn't random. You have, therefore it isn't. It's really quite simple.

Why are you wanting people to know that you will be doing this, anyway? Looking for a pat on the back?

Yes, he wants the pat on the back. Exactly the same as every other person who publicises these things.

It's all a bit sad really.

I do love the idea that he thinks poor people shop at Waitrose.

Just think about the act of him paying for the person in front of him.

It's patronising and quite honestly it's deeply creepy.

2 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:
2 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

It's you that doesn't seem to understand. If there are any conditions on it at all, then it isn't random.

Correct slarti.

He'll be waiting in the aisles for a pretty young woman to make her way to the tills before jumping in.

I guarantee he won't dare try and patronise a man this way.

It's all a bit seedy, creepy and predatory for my liking.

Brrrrrrrrrrrr.

16 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Correct slarti.

He'll be waiting in the aisles for a pretty young woman to make her way to the tills before jumping in.

I guarantee he won't dare try and patronise a man this way.

It's all a bit seedy, creepy and predatory for my liking.

Brrrrrrrrrrrr.

Then again he genuinely? might just be a nice guy  :wink: 

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Yes, he wants the pat on the back. Exactly the same as every other person who publicises these things.

It's all a bit sad really.

I do love the idea that he thinks poor people shop at Waitrose.

Just think about the act of him paying for the person in front of him.

It's patronising and quite honestly it's deeply creepy.

Oh dear. 

Who said anything about poor people? I said elderly. 

As for random. Random it is as at this point I don't know who will be in front of me at Waitrose and therefore whether or not this opportunity will present itself. 

But I'd hope that I wasn't rationing myself for doing an act of kindness to one time in the day, rather looking at life that way and helping others when I can. Financially is the easy bit. Giving time to people who might be anxious, worried or lonely uses our most limited resource to good effect. 

A couple things....

when I’m at home I shop in Waitrose every Tuesday and Sunday. I get a free newspaper and coffee. (For my wummin. I don’t drink coffee and I won’t pay for the Murdoch rag she says she needs ‘for work’).

Shame that i don’t “look” elderly.  :)

never had such beneficence bestowed upon me.

Tuesday mornings, about 10.00, seems to be when there is a general slashing of prices on slow selling items. Excellent quality, well inside the sell-by dates.

i get changed....  smartened up... for those trips...  the women wear gold slippers, Dior, Prada etc, look stunning... smell like heaven... are often seen on Towie, Eastenders and suchlike.

so despite my version of  “smartening up” AND  “not looking elderly” I think I may pop down today and stand in line, in front of them and see if they have paid heed to this random day.

i might get lucky!  :)

I probably won’t.  :(

Edited by antrin

13 minutes ago, antrin said:

A couple things....

when I’m at home I shop in Waitrose every Tuesday and Sunday. I get a free newspaper and coffee. (For my wummin. I don’t drink coffee and I won’t pay for the Murdoch rag she says she needs ‘for work’).

Shame that i don’t “look” elderly.  :)

never had such beneficence bestowed upon me.

Tuesday mornings, about 10.00, seems to be when there is a general slashing of prices on slow selling items. Excellent quality, well inside the sell-by dates.

i get changed....  smartened up... for those trips...  the women wear gold slippers, Dior, Prada etc, look stunning... smell like heaven... are often seen on Towie, Eastenders and suchlike.

so despite my version of  “smartening up” AND  “not looking elderly” I think I may pop down today and stand in line, in front of them and see if they have paid heed to this random day.

i might get lucky!  :)

I probably won’t.  :(

Great Post Antrin. 

Naturally, I will be wearing my Armani Suit and Gucci Shoes.. Every day wear where I live. 

Shame on you for giving away the best times to pick up marked down Heston Blumenthal products! 

The paper and coffee (I Have my Waitrose Take Away Cup) is a good deal. 

Now off to find that elderly lady wearing her dated cashmere to see if I can spring a surprise on her by paying for her caviar and Bollinger. 

10 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

My first act of random kindness will to pay the food bill of the :Pperson before me at he Waitrose Checkout. 

I do it from time to time, as do my two sons, for elderly shoppers. Their smile makes it worth it. 

Ok Ricky, really push the boat out and I will meet you at Jaguar Taggerts in an hour  

3 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Either way, the usual suspects have started the jump on. Not even any humour in the posts.
Random acts of kindness...

A little sad perhaps TP. 

I'd encourage all to share anecdotes of little examples of good deeds for others. Many others will be doing more. 

My elder son won a UK wide open competition as E Commerce Champion of The UK a number of years ago. He won both the Individual and Team Prize. The team prize was £10k between the five people in the team. The individual prize was a special edition Lotus Elyese. He was chuffed as lots of big name companies had entered teams. I later asked him if he had taken delivery of the car after seeing a photograph of him with it. He said no.. After a bit of prodding he told me that he had taken the cash equivalent. Since he had recently married, I thought, the cash would be useful. He told me that he had split the cash for the car between his old team, keeping only one fifty share for himself as he couldn't have won without them. PS His old team as he had been moved to another group company meanwhile. That's my boy. 

30 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Either way, the usual suspects have started the jump on. Not even any humour in the posts.
Random acts of kindness...

14 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

A little sad perhaps TP. 

I'd encourage all to share anecdotes of little examples of good deeds for others. Many others will be doing more. 

My elder son won a UK wide open competition as E Commerce Champion of The UK a number of years ago. He won both the Individual and Team Prize. The team prize was £10k between the five people in the team. The individual prize was a special edition Lotus Elyese. He was chuffed as lots of big name companies had entered teams. I later asked him if he had taken delivery of the car after seeing a photograph of him with it. He said no.. After a bit of prodding he told me that he had taken the cash equivalent. Since he had recently married, I thought, the cash would be useful. He told me that he had split the cash for the car between his old team, keeping only one fifty share for himself as he couldn't have won without them. PS His old team as he had been moved to another group company meanwhile. That's my boy. 

Congratulations TPAK thingy.

You just handed him a trumpet.

And doesn't he play it well.

Well played you absolute nugget. :lol:

Is there a prize for the most self-congratulatory nauseating post of the year? We have a winner if so.

Edited by oaksoft

Guest TPAFKATS
Congratulations TPAK thingy.
You just handed him a trumpet.
And doesn't he play it well.
Well played you absolute nugget. [emoji38]
Is there a prize for the most self-congratulatory nauseating post of the year? We have a winner if so.
Sorry you lost your title.