St Mirren v Aberdeen Scottish Cup Quarter Final 29/2/20

shull

Ffs another unnecessary history lesson. As I said before I am fully aware of the background and history but as I also said it's a smokescreen the imbeciles now hide behind. If you want to justify glorification of terrorism and religious bigotry be my guest. Nothing excuses it or makes it acceptable in this day and age.

Not really. Ricky is right. The initial hatred was of immigrants coming to Glasgow to "steal jobs" and "undercut rates of pay". 
Celtic were formed by Brother Walfrid to raise money to fund the soup kitchens to feed the poor in Glasgow's East End, the residents of whom just happened to be predominately Irish Immigrant Catholics. 
Queens Park was the other big Glasgow club back then. Queens had won several Scottish Cups by the time Celtic were founded. The Scotland team of 1872 saw us field 11 Queens Park players. The blue strips Scotland wore were selected because that was Queens Parks kit colours at the time. And Queens Park had finished runners up twice in the English FA Cup as well. 
In 1890 the Scottish Football League was formed - a professional football league - which Queens Park refused to join. 
Rangers only really came to prominence when they decided to market themselves as a protestant only football club after realising that there was growing anger amongst the indigenous workforce along the Clydeside at Catholic Irish immigrants who - as they saw it - were coming over to steal their jobs and to under cut their rates of pay. Many who had supported Queens Park were switching their allegiances. 

7 hours ago, Yflab said:

Are ewe having a laugh? 

We should be promoting this game as much as possible and fill the home stands with Saints fans. 

Get Goody, Fitzy and the players round all the local schools and put together some incentives for families to come down for a Saturday night under the lights rather than watch some PISH on TV.

Like Sportscene at 7,20 that night.

17 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Ffs another unnecessary history lesson. As I said before I am fully aware of the background and history but as I also said it's a smokescreen the imbeciles now hide behind. If you want to justify glorification of terrorism and religious bigotry be my guest. Nothing excuses it or makes it acceptable in this day and age.

Now we are getting somewhere. Imbeciles is a good description. 

I have never suggested acceptance much less try to justify bigotry and will never do so. But.. It needs to be understood in context before it can be dealt with. 

Terrorism is a very emotive word. Its worth noting that Nelson Mandela was a terrorist. He later became President of his country. Allies leaning partisans in occupied europe were regarded as Terrorists by the occupying army. What one community calls a terrorist, another calls a hero. Its ever thus. Northern Ireland is our mess, we made it, we need to work our way through it. The two political and cultural groups you talk about, thankfully only have "religion" to divide them here and for most of those who follow these two teams this, as perhaps for many in the forum, is a purely theoretical exercise as it's likely that very few are regular attenders at any form of religious celebration. 

6 hours ago, Dickson said:

Not really. Ricky is right. The initial hatred was of immigrants coming to Glasgow to "steal jobs" and "undercut rates of pay". 

Celtic were formed by Brother Walfrid to raise money to fund the soup kitchens to feed the poor in Glasgow's East End, the residents of whom just happened to be predominately Irish Immigrant Catholics. 

Queens Park was the other big Glasgow club back then. Queens had won several Scottish Cups by the time Celtic were founded. The Scotland team of 1872 saw us field 11 Queens Park players. The blue strips Scotland wore were selected because that was Queens Parks kit colours at the time. And Queens Park had finished runners up twice in the English FA Cup as well. 

In 1890 the Scottish Football League was formed - a professional football league - which Queens Park refused to join. 

Rangers only really came to prominence when they decided to market themselves as a protestant only football club after realising that there was growing anger amongst the indigenous workforce along the Clydeside at Catholic Irish immigrants who - as they saw it - were coming over to steal their jobs and to under cut their rates of pay. Many who had supported Queens Park were switching their allegiances. 

Bill Murray's book? It's exceptionally good, a fascinating social history of Scotland and particularly Glasgow.

2 hours ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

Give Aberdeen 1 stand only. It's bad enough we give Rangers and Celtic our family stand.

One and a half Stands will do us. 

Give the rest to the Red Army. 

Could then be a near sellout. 

One and a half Stands will do us. 

Give the rest to the Red Army. 

Could then be a near sellout. 

With the exception of 2 clubs, I’d be happy if we started sharing the family stand with other teams supporters.

Parents & Children mixed, might finally set an example to the future generations that like rugby, fans can enjoy the game in the same stand.

7 minutes ago, whydowebother said:

With the exception of 2 clubs, I’d be happy if we started sharing the family stand with other teams supporters.

Parents & Children mixed, might finally set an example to the future generations that like rugby, fans can enjoy the game in the same stand.

Our Family Stand will be near empty next Saturday. 

Should have offered it to Aberdeen fans plus half the Main Stand (or W6 and W7)

Attendance will be poor next Saturday. 

10 minutes ago, whydowebother said:

Might come as a surprise but I agree with you. Good idea worth pursuing. 

3 minutes ago, shull said:

Our Family Stand will be near empty next Saturday. 

Should have offered it to Aberdeen fans plus half the Main Stand (or W6 and W7)

Attendance will be poor next Saturday. 

I'm not so sure- a positive result against Motherwell midweek and the possibility of our first Scottish Cup semi in years should see a healthy home support.  

This should have been done years ago fans mix in pubs, fast food places, restaurants, public transport etc before and after matches they should be trusted to sit in a football stadium together.

I can see this been a low attendance. I think the 15 quid for concession is high and combined with the late kick off on a weekend night it will put people off. Now I fully understand the price isn’t high when you consider prices in general but I’m just going gin on a couple of very loyal older guys I know saying they’re not going 

30 minutes ago, norrie82 said:

I can see this been a low attendance. I think the 15 quid for concession is high and combined with the late kick off on a weekend night it will put people off. Now I fully understand the price isn’t high when you consider prices in general but I’m just going gin on a couple of very loyal older guys I know saying they’re not going 

Norrie. You make decent points. No arguing with any of what you say regarding pricing, timing etc. I do hope though that we do attract at least 4,400 home fans to take the gate to 6,000 plus. 

On 2/20/2020 at 3:34 PM, antrin said:

The difference (between the SPFL and your other examples of domination by one team or player) that you continually turn your blind eyes towards - is that the Scottish example of dominance in the sport is built upon sectarian hatred and bigotry.  The other examples of 'relative wealth' are not built on bigotry.

Now THAT is a misery, THAT is no basis upon which to create any sense of positivity, sadly..

I hate saying it - but, in this, shull has been consistently correct.

The biggest myth in Scottish football is the daft notion that Celtic and Rangers are rivals.

Rivals my arse.

They are partners in crime, partners in the exploitation of sectarianism and partners in carving up the meagre spoils of Scottish football all to themselves.

It will forever be thus. Accept it, or chuck it. It’s a simple choice in my opinion.

My love for the Buddies and my memories of some of the best days of my life provided by them, trumps any frustration caused by the exploits of the OF.

INSTRUCTIONS ON SEAT  - aye , SIT DOWN FORFUXSAKE

Only Aberdeen fans will see it,  will be hardly any Saints fans able to witness it.

No Home Stand will be sold out, at £20 a ticket.

W7 INSISTED TWENTY'S FECKING PLENTY :lol:

14907122_1008647462580843_12504827318383

Josh Magennis to St Mirren FC Fans
4 hrs · 

SCOTTISH CUP DISPLAY

We have a big display planned for The Scottish Cup game against Aberdeen in W7.

This game is massive and still a lot of tickets available for W7, We know this is due to most people paying on the day, if you can buy them before then please do as it will help us with the planning side of things!

If you usually sit in another part of the stadium we would like to invite you along for what is going to be an electric atmosphere. If you could arrive on Saturday night with ample time and follow the instructions on your seat it would be much appreciated.

There is still some work required on the preparation itself and would like to invite anyone wanting to get involved to come along.

This will be on either Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday or Saturday Afternoon.

Times / Places / Things to be confirmed if you give me a message I will keep you informed!

LETS GET W7 SOLD OUT!!!!

2 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

The biggest myth in Scottish football is the daft notion that Celtic and Rangers are rivals.

Rivals my arse.

They are partners in crime, partners in the exploitation of sectarianism and partners in carving up the meagre spoils of Scottish football all to themselves.

It will forever be thus. Accept it, or chuck it. It’s a simple choice in my opinion.

My love for the Buddies and my memories of some of the best days of my life provided by them, trumps any frustration caused by the exploits of the OF.

I am resigned to the fact the Old Firm will pretty much always dominate Scottish football, and if any other club is likely to challenge them it certainly won't be us. Like you, I value the Saints for what they are. I'm proud to support them.

1 hour ago, shull said:

INSTRUCTIONS ON SEAT  - aye , SIT DOWN FORFUXSAKE

Only Aberdeen fans will see it,  will be hardly any Saints fans able to witness it.

No Home Stand will be sold out, at £20 a ticket.

W7 INSISTED TWENTY'S FECKING PLENTY :lol:

14907122_1008647462580843_12504827318383

Josh Magennis to St Mirren FC Fans
4 hrs · 

SCOTTISH CUP DISPLAY

We have a big display planned for The Scottish Cup game against Aberdeen in W7.

This game is massive and still a lot of tickets available for W7, We know this is due to most people paying on the day, if you can buy them before then please do as it will help us with the planning side of things!

If you usually sit in another part of the stadium we would like to invite you along for what is going to be an electric atmosphere. If you could arrive on Saturday night with ample time and follow the instructions on your seat it would be much appreciated.

There is still some work required on the preparation itself and would like to invite anyone wanting to get involved to come along.

This will be on either Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday or Saturday Afternoon.

Times / Places / Things to be confirmed if you give me a message I will keep you informed!

LETS GET W7 SOLD OUT!!!!

That sounds great! I agree the prices are silly given that it's going to be on the BBC, but we had to agree it with Aberdeen. How is it they and Motherwell are able to sell out their section, and we can't? We should give them a couple of sections of the Main Stand, IMHO.

Aberdeen and Motherwell sold out their section as it is only 1600 tickets we have 6400 to sell.

If we had an away day in Scottish Cup to a fellow Premier league I would expect us to sell out a 1600 allocation.

We took 1000 to Motherwell on a cold Tuesday night in February in middle of a week of absolutely horrendous weather.

That sounds great! I agree the prices are silly given that it's going to be on the BBC, but we had to agree it with Aberdeen. How is it they and Motherwell are able to sell out their section, and we can't? We should give them a couple of sections of the Main Stand, IMHO.

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

Aberdeen and Motherwell sold out their section as it is only 1600 tickets we have 6400 to sell.

If we had an away day in Scottish Cup to a fellow Premier league I would expect us to sell out a 1600 allocation.

We took 1000 to Motherwell on a cold Tuesday night in February in middle of a week of absolutely horrendous weather.

Aye, but give we're at home and Aberdeen is 150 miles away, is it not reasonable to expect a ratio of 4:1 in our favour?

Maybe but our support is a similar size to around 10 other teams in Scotland where these teams always average around 4000-6000 no matter where we are in the Premier League or if top end of championship.

To sell 6400 or even close to that might have happened if team was playing a little better imo.

February has been a busy and expensive month for football and with match being on free TV I would expect people who's young kids normally go to games to stay in the warmth of their living rooms to watch the match.

Aye, but give we're at home and Aberdeen is 150 miles away, is it not reasonable to expect a ratio of 4:1 in our favour?