St Mirren v Aberdeen Scottish Cup Quarter Final 29/2/20

shull

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

More than twice I’d say! Our deliveries were murder the whole game. 
Either way, let’s agree it was shite 😄

Our corners fell into two categories in the main. Too short and low or too high and hangy. Neither giving our players in the box any opportunities 

1 hour ago, Gordon Urquhart said:

Horrible last night, wished I'd stayed at home. McGrath out of his depth sadly, looks like a championship player. Rest no better.

he lacks the basic skills of a footballer

Not his fault but he has been given a chance here that  he really didn't deserve

Unfair to single him out though as every forward looked to be completely unsure of how to keep their feet.  They took every first touch looking as though they could do nothing to avoid falling over.  It was ugly to watch as Aberdeen were terrible and there to be beaten

We weren't great and there's a lot of negatives we could pick on, however, the way I see it the Cups are a free pass and getting to the QF is a good run for ourselves.

The teams left in the Cup (presuming Celtic progress) all dwarf us financially and in club stature - no shame in being beaten by a streetwise Aberdeen side (poor to watch as they are, they're where they are in the league for a reason).

Onto finishing as high up the league as we can now and Goodwin getting a head start at recruitment unlike last year.

ETA - unwarranted criticism of the likes of McGrath - he is still settling in and by all accounts is being played out of position.

Edited by W6Saint

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I was really surprised at this type of delivery.

Thought it was generally dropped years ago.

A goalies ball every day of the week, absolute waste. 

The Stevie Mallan delivery.

Unless you are a ridiculously big side and float it to the back stick it's a waste of time. Generally I think our set pieces have been better lately than they've been for a long time with young Cammy taking them. Last night the standard slipped a little, perhaps conditions related

AS we've seen with many players we've signed, some of them, for one reason or another, take a bit of time to settle in. It might not be what we want, but it happens.

McGrath quite clearly does posses the basic skills of a football player, as evidenced by his online clips and the number of games he played for his previous teams. He's also made the Ireland U-21 squad. A country incidentally that currently sits 16 places above Scotland in the FIFA rankings.

Some people will look down their noses at the League of Ireland, but you don't get to play regularly for the champions of that league, if you're a poor player.

FWIW I do think that McGrath has had a fairly inauspicious start to his St.Mirren career, but I thought he was the most creative of our midfield last night when he was moved into a more central position.

He may well prove to be out of his depth, but maybe, we should give the boy a chance and see how he shapes up for the rest of the season and beyond,before writing him off after 5 starts for us. Although, I'm sure some of our supporters will already have written off Chabbi too on the basis of 18 minutes on the park last night.:rolleyes:

Edited by FTOF

17 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Did I mishear that or did they announce the attendance as 4479?

If so that is f**kin embarrassing. So much for W6er’s dot count of 5200 or whatever it was.

Alternatively I may have misheard that and am talking shite again. 

That was the announcement. But it was wrong...whether it was intentionally wrong is another matter! 

6 hours ago, shull said:

If everybody stayed away including all the Aberdeen fans then we would never ever get charged the disgraceful TWENTY POUNDS again for a Cup Tie which is LIVE ON FREE TELLY.

I also blame the dafties with the TWENTY'S PLENTY  Banners.

Get the Cup ties on the SeasonTicket

Home Club keeps Home Fans Cash

Away Club keeps Away Fans Cash ( after suitable expenses are paid to home club)

Not unreasonable suggestions Shull but would kill big pay days for smaller teams going to Ibrox or Parkhead. 

1 hour ago, W6Saint said:

The Stevie Mallan delivery.

Unless you are a ridiculously big side and float it to the back stick it's a waste of time. Generally I think our set pieces have been better lately than they've been for a long time with young Cammy taking them. Last night the standard slipped a little, perhaps conditions related

I’ll give Cammy his due - he had a cracking delivery first half which we just couldn’t get a touch on and the ball landed nicely for the keeper. A different bounce and McCarthy could have levelled.

16 minutes ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

I'd love to know why Danny Mullen has been overlooked.  He has determination and has scored important goals for us.  No doubt he'll be off at the end of the season and given the present squad we have it would be a loss.

I don’t rate Mullen as a starter, but he is a good impact player. In last season’s relegation battle he scored some goals out of nothing. He’s wasted if you start him but get him on when the opposition is tiring. I’m far from his biggest fan but when we need a goal I say get him on - anything has to be better than f**king Andreu.

28 minutes ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

I'd love to know why Danny Mullen has been overlooked.  He has determination and has scored important goals for us.  No doubt he'll be off at the end of the season and given the present squad we have it would be a loss.

Our final substitution last night should have been either Mullen or Morias, at that point we desperately needed an 'impact' player with a goal threat. Certainly not Tony Andreu.

19 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

I’ll give Cammy his due - he had a cracking delivery first half which we just couldn’t get a touch on and the ball landed nicely for the keeper. A different bounce and McCarthy could have levelled.

This sums up what I felt watching us last night, we needed LUCK, almost incapable of producing any quality. 

38 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Our final substitution last night should have been either Mullen or Morias, at that point we desperately needed an 'impact' player with a goal threat. Certainly not Tony Andreu.

I guess the manager was looking for a player who might just pick out a killer pass or take a late free kick. 

On McGrath, he definitely looked much better when he came inside

Thought McAllister looked good on the right wing, sharper, swung in some good crosses

I'd like to see this lineup/formation 

Obika

Durmus McGrath McAllister

Foley MacPherson

Waters Famewo McCarthy Hodson

Hladky

As Shull says can never win league so don’t see big deal about staying in it, our best and most enjoyable seasons have always been in 1st division, premier league is shite..

Agree it is shite but the championship was only great when we won it. By the way of course I wanted to beat Aberdeen hopefully progress to the final but we didn’t so time to concentrate on the league & staying in it.

9 minutes ago, shull said:

Why ? 

Because given Celtics cup record in recent years, it's not the semi final draw I'd have wanted had we gotten through.  

We would have stood a better chance against the 2 Edinburgh teams. 

Ok ? 

Just now, munoz said:

Because given Celtics cup record in recent years, it's not the semi final draw I'd have wanted had we gotten through.  

We would have stood a better chance against the 2 Edinburgh teams. 

Ok ? 

We would have drawn Hibernian, not Celtic.