St Mirren v Aberdeen Scottish Cup Quarter Final 29/2/20

shull

17 minutes ago, munoz said:

Highly unlikely given the difference in our team now compared to the 2013 team. 

Rose tinted specs , people forget how mediocre our team was for the bulk of that season until Isma:wub: arrived - IIRC (and I do) Ross County beat us 4-1 here in Paisley the week before we beat Celtic in the S/F. Outside of Isma's:wub: sweet period we were pretty woeful finishing 11th in the league even with a squad that (not even in hindsight) looked  pretty amazing on paper. 

8 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Rose tinted specs , people forget how mediocre our team was for the bulk of that season until Isma:wub: arrived - IIRC (and I do) Ross County beat us 4-1 here in Paisley the week before we beat Celtic in the S/F. Outside of Isma's:wub: sweet period we were pretty woeful finishing 11th in the league even with a squad that (not even in hindsight) looked  pretty amazing on paper. 

Possibly so, but still think that team(2013) was better than our current one. 

Also think the current Celtic team is probably better than their 2013 team. 

None of this matters though as we are out.

1 hour ago, ged62 said:

Agree it is shite but the championship was only great when we won it.

Precisely this. The first 18 months after we were relegated were f**king depressing. At least being in the Prem there’s the unlikely chance of making it into Europe, and we generally have a chance of aiming for cup success as we’ll have a better team than we would down below (2013 for example).

1 hour ago, munoz said:

That draw has definitely cushioned the blow of last night's defeat.  

Pendant alert here - Butterfly Effect. There’s no guarantee things would have panned out like that if we were in the draw. Every tiny change in life can change much bigger things in the future.

Pedant alert over.

Edited by Cornwall_Saint

2 minutes ago, munoz said:

Unfortunately the game wasn't quite as good as the 87 quarter final against Raith. 

I had booked flights to Portugal after we got through but before the semi finals as a friend had offered me the use of his villa. After looking up the date of the final, I realised that if I had gone, I would miss the final if we made it. So I told my wife and gave away the tickets and use of the villa to one of my managers. Have never regretted it. We will all have a cup story. 

17 hours ago, faraway saint said:

This sums up what I felt watching us last night, we needed LUCK, almost incapable of producing any quality. 

I'm not sure that luck was ever going to come our way on Friday!

We huffed and puffed all the way through the game especially in the second half which we dominated, but never really threatened. I don't think we were ever going to blow the house down!!

What it showed is that basically Aberdeen were pretty awful, actually worse than us, but took their early chance and then we conceded in the last couple of minutes when trying to chase a lost cause.

It exemplified our season, not bad in the build up play, but rotten up front.

14 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

I'm not sure that luck was ever going to come our way on Friday!

We huffed and puffed all the way through the game especially in the second half which we dominated, but never really threatened. I don't think we were ever going to blow the house down!!

What it showed is that basically Aberdeen were pretty awful, actually worse than us, but took their early chance and then we conceded in the last couple of minutes when trying to chase a lost cause.

It exemplified our season, not bad in the build up play, but rotten up front.

We lost the game because of the midfield. 

6 hours ago, munoz said:

We lost the game because of the midfield. 

We lost the game all over the park - not just in midfield.

Up front we were toothless. Jacubiak was poor, Waters only passes to our players were to Famewo (except for one I think), Aberdeen out fought us in most challenges and they found space when we mostly could not. Our passing control and nous were all lacking in this one...

Guys like Durmus, MacPherson, Foley, Obika tried hard but did not have their best game.

Hodson, Famewo and McAllister played well - others played ok - but at this level we need 5 or 6 playing well at least !

Any way if we had a choice of beating Aberdeen in the cup of the Fakes in the league, I'd happily have take the later - will we managed that - we will soon see... but if we do, we could be 9 points clear of Hearts and 7 clear of Hamilton, and not too far behind some teams just above us.

When is there ever a choice ? 

Would be if we had to play a league match on the same day as a cup tie and probably with identical kick off times 

Zzzzweeper is one of the thickest on the Forum and definitely the most boring. 

What a hoot. 

• 3 weeks later...