Is The Earth Flat?

Lord Pityme

6 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

This guy wanted to prove it, and ended up flatter.

BBC News - 'Mad' Mike Hughes dies after crash-landing homemade rocket

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51602655

Amazing. 

Some people maintain their beliefs despite all evidence to the contrary. We only need to look at our nearest football neighbours to see that. The resurrection of Rangers. Mad Mike had more sense. 

29 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

Definitely more sense than anyone who believes that Rangers were resurrected.

Anyway, at least the average IQ rose slightly when this guy died.

That's a bit unfair.

This guy was prepared to put his money where his mouth was and make an attempt to prove his theory rather than just accepting what he was told.

That is in the very tradition of science. He deserves some respect for that.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:
1 hour ago, Slartibartfast said:

Definitely more sense than anyone who believes that Rangers were resurrected.

Anyway, at least the average IQ rose slightly when this guy died.

That's a bit unfair.

This guy was prepared to put his money where his mouth was and make an attempt to prove his theory rather than just accepting what he was told.

That is in the very tradition of science. He deserves some respect for that.

Not at all unfair, do you find it odd that the vast majority  of the Darwin awards are American? I don't, got to feel for his family, yes but to be honest he shouldn't have been let off his lead.

3 hours ago, jaybee said:

Not at all unfair, do you find it odd that the vast majority  of the Darwin awards are American? I don't, got to feel for his family, yes but to be honest he shouldn't have been let off his lead.

I wouldn't normally respond to this but a few things need said on a point of principle, leaving aside this specific person:-

1) I try not to write off an entire country because of the actions of some of their citizens.

2) As a scientist, I prefer people who ask questions - especially those prepared to question what everyone else thinks is obvious.

3) Without weirdos, "idiots" and unreasonable people we'd be living in caves.

4) Sheeple (95% of the population) really shouldn't be calling anyone "idiots". The vast majority of us accept things as fact all the time without questioning the source. I'm not necessarily talking about slarti here BTW. A simple example will suffice - I believe the moon landings actually happened and I have my own reasons for believing that. I can guarantee that most will simply accept it as fact and move on and call everyone who questions it a nutter. Another example is to for people to ask themselves what their solid source is for proof that the Earth is definitely spherical. I'll bet you most people can't point to a credible source, free from manipulation. It is within this intellectual vacuum that dangerous people like @saintnextlifetime  can freely promote whatever crazy shite they want and they'll get some to follow them. Nothing wrong with being one of the sheeple but maybe recognise that and learn to stfu when it comes to dishing out criticism of others who don't follow that path.

Edited by oaksoft

50 minutes ago, oaksoft said:
3 hours ago, jaybee said:

I wouldn't normally respond to this but a few things need said on a point of principle, leaving aside this specific person:-

1) I try not to write off an entire country because of the actions of some of their citizens.

2) As a scientist, I prefer people who ask questions - especially those prepared to question what everyone else thinks is obvious.

3) Without weirdos, "idiots" and unreasonable people we'd be living in caves.

4) Sheeple (95% of the population) really shouldn't be calling anyone "idiots". The vast majority of us accept things as fact all the time without questioning the source. I'm not necessarily talking about slarti here BTW. A simple example will suffice - I believe the moon landings actually happened and I have my own reasons for believing that. I can guarantee that most will simply accept it as fact and move on and call everyone who questions it a nutter. Another example is to for people to ask themselves what their solid source is for proof that the Earth is definitely spherical. I'll bet you most people can't point to a credible source, free from manipulation. It is within this intellectual vacuum that dangerous people like @saintnextlifetime  can freely promote whatever crazy shite they want and they'll get some to follow them. Nothing wrong with being one of the sheeple but maybe recognise that and learn to stfu when it comes to dishing out criticism of others who don't follow that path.

I have no problem with your viewpoint, seems sensible, at least to me, however regarding point.............

1) I might beg to differ re writing of a country that votes someone into power who is as mentally unbalanced as Trump fairly obviously is.. Now when I say country I mean the entirety (in the sense he was voted into [power) are there sensible people in America? Yes I am sure there are a couple :), however my favourite fact re America is, that it is moving further away each year. :)

2) No problem again with this as a point of principle, however does that mean I would stand idly by and let someone who had invented a new crash helmet jump head first of a 100 foot building just to prove it works.......................... let me think.............mmmmmmmmmmmm, no I wouldn't. In my world people have to be (in some sense) responsible for others when something overtly stupid is about to happen.

3) Again; with the proviso that they cause 'no harm' not a problem.

4) So, it sounds like it's OK for you to refer to  (95% of the population)  as Sheeple, but not for me to refer to sections of people as imoronic for killing themselves doing stupid things and I should stfu.  

Well whilst I have no problem with most of your post, I most certainly do with the stfu part and I can assure you I wont and nor need you, although you may consider omitting the stfu advice. 😎

9 minutes ago, jaybee said:

I have no problem with your viewpoint, seems sensible, at least to me, however regarding point.............

1) I might beg to differ re writing of a country that votes someone into power who is as mentally unbalanced as Trump fairly obviously is.. Now when I say country I mean the entirety (in the sense he was voted into [power) are there sensible people in America? Yes I am sure there are a couple :), however my favourite fact re America is, that it is moving further away each year. :)

Far be it from me to ever stir shit, but...  :rolleyes:

… if North America is drifting further west and away from us and it is, (The Atlantic opening by the width of my thumbnail every year since I was a wee boy) then it is also drifting closer to our eastern shore. (albeit Asia is in the way)

Unless, of course, you ACTUALLY believe that the Earth is flat and NOT a kinda globey shape?  :)

Edited by antrin

3 minutes ago, antrin said:
8 minutes ago, jaybee said:

Far be it from me to ever stir shit, but...  :rolleyes:

… if North America is drifting further west and away from us and it is, then it is also drifting closer to our eastern shore. (albeit Asia is in the way)

Unless, of course, you ACTUALLY believe that the Earth is flat and NOT a kinda globey shape?  :)

THAT is when la la time kicks in la la la la la la la la .................................

2 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

But how do you fit them all inside the firmament?

What if some nutter tries the same thing, goes up in his rocket, crashes into the firmament, breaks it and lets all the water in?  A Noahesque flood?

Asking for a friend. :D

No problem.

The elephants would still be on the back of Great A'Tuin the World Turtle, who, it has been known, could alter its course to avoid meteorite hits, and even to snap at them with its beak OR send them away with its flippers. 

Flood? Schmudd!

2 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

But how do you fit them all inside the firmament?

What if some nutter tries the same thing, goes up in his rocket, crashes into the firmament, breaks it and lets all the water in?  A Noahesque flood?

Asking for a friend. :D

Firmament? I have no idea what that is.

Is that a flat earther thing?

11 minutes ago, antrin said:

Come on!!!!    :angry:

How else is a god supposed to divide the waters from... er… the waters...?  :unsure:

11 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

FFS Oaky, do you know nothing?

Guys, I am as lost as a t-shirt, sandals and shorts wearing tourist trying to scale Ben Nevis in February.

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

In theory exactly the same. The stars would just be circling in the sky.

Hmm, a flat earth would only have one rotation point..,

A spinning globe would have two rotation points?

I think this is the best evidence that we do indeed live on a globe :) 

39 minutes ago, Doakes said:

Hmm, a flat earth would only have one rotation point..,

A spinning globe would have two rotation points?

I think this is the best evidence that we do indeed live on a globe :) 

Perhaps the stars could be rotating around two separate foci with the earth stationary.

It's interesting to imagine that we don't know anything about this and come up with plausible theories.

It's can be good to question assumptions.

Edited by oaksoft

2 hours ago, cockles1987 said:

If the earth's flat what's stopping the water falling off the edge? emoji54.png

Nothing, of course.  It falls off the edge and with no gravity is turned into mist.

The great A’ Thuin is eternally swimming in the most infinitesimal yet liquid of seas.

As it swims onwards the mists emerge from the shadow of disc world and up towards the Hub, its centre...

and doubtless falls as rain....

...the circle continues.

“Arrangements have been made”.