Saint Mirren v St Johnstone March 2020

St.Ricky

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Aye, don't mention Hearts and Hamilton closed the gap.

A great result against Motherwell, a poor performance and result last night takes the shine off it. 

Getting 3 points unexpectedly then not beating St Johnstone, who were there for the beating and down to 10 for part of the game is disappointing any way you like to tart it up. 

Exactly. Would our relegation rivals have failed to get the win against a side playing as poorly as they did last night ?

Guest TPAFKATS
I don’t know if “plenty” is a fair description, but no one is suggesting he’s going to get it right all the time. He’s not Pirlo.
The point I was trying to make about our set piece deliveries is that generally good (which Wallace’s were tonight) is better than consistently shite (which everyone else’s were on Saturday). 
How many chances did his many crosses create?
Still better than Saturday I suppose.

18 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Why on earth does Goodwin persist with putting Tony f**king Andreu on after an hour.

Literally NO-ONE in the stadium looks at Andreu and thinks 'oh, you're in trouble, here comes Tony to save the day'.

Guy is an empty shirt and the fact that we take an attacking threat off and put on a guy who to be honest, I have no idea what role he's meant to be playing, just baffles me.

Goodwin has made a lot of silly tactical decisions and has cut a lot of slack for it given who he is. This period of grace is coming to a noticable end though.

Andreu is a very good player

Like many others before him as soon he puts on a Saints jersey he turns into dugshit

He's not the first and won't be the last

The trick is seeing if our manager can see it

Again we huffed and puffed, much the same as against Aberdeen.

It's an obvious comment to make, but my main worry is our inability to find the net, by anyone on the park. Yes the defence has tightened up and isn't that bad, but our basic fault of not being able to put the ball in the net may well prove be our undoing this season.

We have no answer to this problem either, now we are trying Chabbi as an option and we seem to have dropped Cooke and Mullen as any kind of impact substitution, it's a bit like trying a perm of any two from 6 poor options and we can see that hardly anything works at all.

It sounds like knicker wetting, it's not, it's just the reality of this season, we are going to struggle until the last day of the season and hope that we are at least in 2nd bottom spot and we again come up against a Championship side who are somewhat adrift of D Utd!

Guest TPAFKATS
Like many others before him as soon he puts on a Saints jersey he turns into dugshit
Accies fan I know, said andreu was a shadow of player he used to be after getting serious injury. Most fans he knew (probably a small number as its accies) weren't upset at losing him.

Andreu was been brought imo to provide 5-10 goals this season & similar number of assists.

His better games at doing this were Easter Road & to an extent Pittodrie where the opposition gave us/him space to play.

Pittodrie he really should have had at least a hat-trick but the performance outwith his terrible shooting was good.

Tight games like last night's and (plenty similar games recently & to come) are not suited to his number 10 roll with at times up to 15/16 players in and around the box there isn't really any space for him to be effective, they require more balls out wide and early balls into the box.

Accies fan I know, said andreu was a shadow of player he used to be after getting serious injury. Most fans he knew (probably a small number as its accies) weren't upset at losing him.

The bit a don't understand is clearly Goodwin isn't going to play mullan again: so it's a total waste having him on bench,get a youngster on bench who young and hungry,co andrue and junior terrible and McAllister injured again so absolutely no options on bench,and guaranteed McKenzie will turn up before split just when his contract needs renewed 

3 hours ago, windae cleaner said:

Andreu WAS a very good player before he got a serious knee injury a few seasons ago - Hamilton passed on the chance to resign him in the summer.

Goodwin said after the match that Kyle McAlister picked up another injury in the pre-match warm up - as a result of taking a shot at goal. Apparently Goodwin spoke toKyle during the first half saying he was planning to bring him on in the second half and Kyle said he didn't want to come on as a sub with an injury in case he had to be replaced before the game was finished.

2 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Goodwin said after the match that Kyle McAlister picked up another injury in the pre-match warm up - as a result of taking a shot at goal. Apparently Goodwin spoke toKyle during the first half saying he was planning to bring him on in the second half and Kyle said he didn't want to come on as a sub with an injury in case he had to be replaced before the game was finished.

Not good for the lad and not good for us that he is so injury prone. 

Dear me! The last few pages have been mostly doom and gloom,, with a couple of exceptions. Admittedly, we created nothing against Aberdeen and that was worrying. However last night we created chances and were unlucky not to score. St. Johnstone are an in form side still with a chance of finishing in the top six:

2134192829_Temp-Formguide.thumb.jpg.eff43b5e3db70ad75cfe1847ca5c6004.jpg

Yes, they played with ten men for the last ten minutes or so, but whilst a little bit disappointing last night's result was far from terrible. I would also take a point against Hearts.

7 hours ago, W6er said:

Dear me! The last few pages have been mostly doom and gloom,, with a couple of exceptions. Admittedly, we created nothing against Aberdeen and that was worrying. However last night we created chances and were unlucky not to score. St. Johnstone are an in form side still with a chance of finishing in the top six:

Yes, they played with ten men for the last ten minutes or so, but whilst a little bit disappointing last night's result was far from terrible. I would also take a point against Hearts.

This is true but what you're missing is on the night they were poor so therefore we had a great chance to win the game. 

There were similar points made when we lost to Rangers, but again, that match they were poor and we continued to sit deep and settle for a narrow defeat.

I would have taken a point before the St Johnstone game but watching it that was 2 points dropped.

Look at Motherwell, bottom on form yet we we going radio rental about beating them.

1 hour ago, Ice-tears said:

Our clown of a manager is more interested in not losing than actually trying to win a game. Tomorrow for instance when he parks bus and then doesn’t have a clue what to do when Celtic score and is content with damage limitation. Absolutely no effort will be made to go actually go win game.

To be fair, our goal difference is a major plus at the moment. I think we should try to preserve that, and realistically don't have much hope of anything more.

42 minutes ago, W6er said:

To be fair, our goal difference is a major plus at the moment. I think we should try to preserve that, and realistically don't have much hope of anything more.

Exactly.  Celtic have the best home record in league,  whereas we have the worst away record.  There is a time and place to play more expansive football,  and Celtic and Parkhead isn't it. 

Edited by munoz

2 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Ffs... I bet Hearts, Accies and County all fancy getting a result this weekend wheres our manager has already told his team it's ok to lose..!
Think Goody is going to get what he wishes for.

Has he ? I must have missed that interview. 

On 3/4/2020 at 10:21 PM, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Opposing managers must be panicking as the 65th minute approaches. Will St Mirren mix things up by bringing on Andreu then Morias... or maybe Morias followed by Andreu. If McAlister wasn't fit to play a 2nd 45 minutes in 4 days he shouldn't be on the bench... Cody Cooke fit and available, Danny Mullen fit and available.

Looks to me like the manager is utilising his squad as he needs them all match fit for the run in and also does not want any players burning out with weekend and midweek games coming thick and fast. I suspect that MacPherson was rested for that reason and even if McAllister was on the bench for cover reasons, that is fine by me (i.e. could come on but better to rest him)

However, like many on here I totally agree that Andreu is a luxury we don't need or benefit from very often. Morias tried hard but only occasionally has a decent game.  Cooke and Mullen can offer a bit but not a whole lot either, except occasionally too.

So really hoping Chabbi gets up to speed and starts scoring... we need goals much more often in the run in...