Is The Forum Deid?

Lord Pityme

7 hours ago, Dickson said:

It's definitely dying a death. 

I've been around these online things for over 20 years. The old Saints Online guestbook was the Wild West. It was a bit like going into an over populated pub where everyone is already way too drunk and where all thought their point of view was the most important. Incredibly, perhaps because it was new, it worked really well and little real life social groups happened. 

Then we had SFO which put some structure into the whole thing. A mix of weird and wonderful characters, some superb arguments and meltdown moments. It was great fun until the platform it was on got heavily attacked with spam. The Official St Mirren forum was like a sanitised version of that. Organised, and it felt like when you posted on there you were actually posting to the people running the club - the webmaster even made a bit of a fool of himself claiming that he had been asked for the views of the online madmen before Tom Hendrie got sacked. Unfortunately it also became very cliquey and some of the moderation was done by absolute zealots who were a bit too trigger happy with the ban hammer and something that felt like a line of communication between the fans and the directors, players and management of the club got ruined. 

When Div set up Pie and Bovril and BAWA it just looked like an attempt to steal other peoples ideas, traffic and advertising revenue. The sites were definitely prettier and slicker but at it's heart it was still mostly copied or purchase scripts and web tools lumped together on a server. The characters moved over and initially the chat was good, entertaining and funny but bit by bit that has been moderated out and the balance has become f**ked these days. Guys who could argue to death, but in a way that was generally enjoyable and readable - like St Sid and Captain Sensisble, were chased off the site, and replaced by the likes of Baz, Slartibartfast and Cockles who like to post their abuse and threats with impunity but who absolutely cannot take it back and who go running to Div or to the moderators when it happens. 

There is a reason why still some of the most popular and unpopular posters on P&B still include names and aliases that haven't visited that forum for 9, 10, 11 years. The success of these online communities was built on the back of those characters and yet Div and his moderators have chased them away to play to a more dull and more easily offended clientele. Sadly along with the chasing of those characters who made good salient arguments, also went the directors, players and management of the club - even SMISA switched off - and these days you are left wondering what the point of it all is. 

Facebook to me is a return back to the days of the Saints Online Guestbook. You're back in a busy pub where everyone is shouting at each other. There's bigger numbers and more people who think they need to be heard and there's definitely a problem trying to keep up. Sadly Bazil operates on those pages too. 

It's sad really. St Mirren's online community used to be quite a vibrant place to be. Murdered by those who became it's custodians. 

I’ve never abused or threatened anyone on here and I have certainly never ‘ran to Div’ with anything. If you want to see a real example of someone that can’t take it back. Have a look at some of your posts in recent days. Name calling, bitterness and claims to be better than everyone else. 

The main issue with your take on this, is it’s an evolution of the image you present ‘ I’m right, everyone else’s wrong, I’m smarter than everyone and know better’ You don't.

you’re one of the most regular noted contributors on here and not for positive reasons. If what you’re claiming is true, you’re likely the single biggest contributor to the problem. 

22 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

I agree. (emoji2398.png Ricky)

There are also those (you know who they are) that court the negative attention. Never happy unless they are having the same argument with several people at once over several threads that have nothing to do with what they are arguing about. Don't get me wrong, we've all went off topic but there are some that just constantly do it. Funnily enough, it's all the ones I've put on ignore now. emoji38.png

images (3).jpeg

22 hours ago, Dickson said:

NAW it isnae.  :P

I've been around these online things for over 20 years. The old Saints Online guestbook was the Wild West.

Me, too...   Naw  it wisnae, pardner.  :P

It was a bit like going into an over populated pub where everyone is already way too drunk and where all thought their point of view was the most important. Incredibly, perhaps because it was new, it worked really well and little real life social groups happened.

Nah, nah...   it was, on occasion, just as dire.  Rose-tintit spex are useless.

Then we had SFO which put some structure into the whole thing. A mix of weird and wonderful characters, some superb arguments and meltdown moments. It was great fun until the platform it was on got heavily attacked with spam.

Aye, that was a wee bit annoying.

The Official St Mirren forum was like a sanitised version of that. Organised, and it felt like when you posted on there you were actually posting to the people running the club - the webmaster even made a bit of a fool of himself claiming that he had been asked for the views of the online madmen before Tom Hendrie got sacked. Unfortunately it also became very cliquey and some of the moderation was done by absolute zealots who were a bit too trigger happy with the ban hammer and something that felt like a line of communication between the fans and the directors, players and management of the club got ruined. 

It was awful.  First time I encountered oxter.  I couldnae thole him.  Then.  :rolleyes:

When Div set up Pie and Bovril and BAWA it just looked like an attempt to steal other peoples ideas, traffic and advertising revenue. The sites were definitely prettier and slicker but at it's heart it was still mostly copied or purchase scripts and web tools lumped together on a server. The characters moved over and initially the chat was good, entertaining and funny but bit by bit that has been moderated out and the balance has become f**ked these days. Guys who could argue to death, but in a way that was generally enjoyable and readable - like St Sid and Captain Sensisble, were chased off the site, and replaced by the likes of Baz, Slartibartfast and Cockles who like to post their abuse and threats with impunity but who absolutely cannot take it back and who go running to Div or to the moderators when it happens. 

Rubbish.  Cap S is till here, as, I believe is Sid - in different guises.  Div (rightly perhaps) binned them as they were simply giving him personal abuse, even after being warned.  Just like you did.

Lots of original Guestbook posters are still here.  None of us wanted to do it, so Div took a dead parrot and simply gave it feathers.  These things don't run for free - though he has kept it that way for all of us.

There is a reason why still some of the most popular and unpopular posters on P&B still include names and aliases that haven't visited that forum for 9, 10, 11 years. The success of these online communities was built on the back of those characters and yet Div and his moderators have chased them away to play to a more dull and more easily offended clientele. Sadly along with the chasing of those characters who made good salient arguments, also went the directors, players and management of the club - even SMISA switched off - and these days you are left wondering what the point of it all is. 

You are not enjoying the same world as I am, it seems.

Facebook to me is a return back to the days of the Saints Online Guestbook. You're back in a busy pub where everyone is shouting at each other. There's bigger numbers and more people who think they need to be heard and there's definitely a problem trying to keep up. Sadly Bazil operates on those pages too. 

I'm not old enough or dull enough for facebook to  bother...

It's sad really. St Mirren's online community used to be quite a vibrant place to be. Murdered by those who became it's custodians. 

Deary me....

• 3 months later...
On 2/28/2020 at 2:14 PM, antrin said:

NAW it isnae:P

I've been around these online things for over 20 years. The old Saints Online guestbook was the Wild West.

Me, too...   Naw  it wisnae, pardner.  :P

It was a bit like going into an over populated pub where everyone is already way too drunk and where all thought their point of view was the most important. Incredibly, perhaps because it was new, it worked really well and little real life social groups happened.

Nah, nah...   it was, on occasion, just as dire.  Rose-tintit spex are useless.

Then we had SFO which put some structure into the whole thing. A mix of weird and wonderful characters, some superb arguments and meltdown moments. It was great fun until the platform it was on got heavily attacked with spam.

Aye, that was a wee bit annoying.

The Official St Mirren forum was like a sanitised version of that. Organised, and it felt like when you posted on there you were actually posting to the people running the club - the webmaster even made a bit of a fool of himself claiming that he had been asked for the views of the online madmen before Tom Hendrie got sacked. Unfortunately it also became very cliquey and some of the moderation was done by absolute zealots who were a bit too trigger happy with the ban hammer and something that felt like a line of communication between the fans and the directors, players and management of the club got ruined. 

It was awful.  First time I encountered oxter.  I couldnae thole him.  Then.  :rolleyes:

Rubbish.  Cap S is till here, as, I believe is Sid - in different guises.  Div (rightly perhaps) binned them as they were simply giving him personal abuse, even after being warned.  Just like you did.

Lots of original Guestbook posters are still here.  None of us wanted to do it, so Div took a dead parrot and simply gave it feathers.  These things don't run for free - though he has kept it that way for all of us.

You are not enjoying the same world as I am, it seems.

I'm not old enough or dull enough for facebook to  bother...

Deary me....

You've changed your tune? 

"let it die.  It’s polluted"

What happened to have such a turn around, almost IOBS level? 

The Forum plummeted in camaraderie, civilisation and intelligence when fartaway and his cabbie arse pal were released from the wank-tank.

I have minimal need of interaction at any level, with such scum.

That is all.

Edited by antrin

1 minute ago, antrin said:

The Forum plummeted in camaraderie, civilisation and intelligence when you and your cabbie arse-bandit were released from the wank-tank.

That is all.

Cheerio ya auld fud. :byebye

PS Mind triple lock your door down there in that hell hole. :lol:

Edited by faraway saint

Still falling back on the illegal ageist crap, eh?

No attempt to deploy intelligence, wit or logic in your interactions.

You have nothing going for you.

Apart from the outskirts of Arbroath.

Edited by antrin

12 minutes ago, antrin said:

The Forum plummeted in camaraderie, civilisation and intelligence when fartaway and his cabbie arse pal were released from the wank-tank.

That is all.

That didnae last long, memory failing in your golden years? :lol:

6 minutes ago, antrin said:

3 hours ago, antrin said:

Why did you visit my profile?

Just ask and I'll tell you anything that is worrying you. :lol:

3 hours ago, antrin said:

Harsh... But true