Paisley St. James Station - can it be renamed?

W6er

The suggestion that the station could be renamed Paisley St. Mirren was first mooted not long after the ground was opened, if I recall correctly. Whatever happened to the suggestion?

I often get the train into St. James, as do a lot of Buddies and visiting supporters, and feel that's probably the most the station is used. Why not change its name?

I remember reading somewhere at the time that whoever owns the name (Network Rail probably) wanted in excess of £100,000 to re-name the station to cover the cost of new signs, new timetables.

I thought £100,000 seemed excessive at the time now if it was £10,000 it would be worth paying imo.

The suggestion that the station could be renamed Paisley St. Mirren was first mooted not long after the ground was opened, if I recall correctly. Whatever happened to the suggestion?
I often get the train into St. James, as do a lot of Buddies and visiting supporters, and feel that's probably the most the station is used. Why not change its name?

12 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

There was also a petition at the time, if I recall. It’s a nice idea, but it’s been done. You could try again and take a different approach, see where you get to.

Aldo. You are right. There was. I'd think it worth another try. The club is on its way to fan ownership and the Kibble deal has been approved. 

I seem to remember a tenuous link between St Mirren football club and st. James (both the station and playing fields) 
Apparently when the nights Templar were being ousted from Europe as heretics, there were only two countries that would take them, Portugal and Scotland (as we were excommunicated by the pope because Robert the Bruce killed someone in Selkirk Abbey) 

so after they sailed up the Clyde with there distinctive black and white sails, they settled at nearby Inchinnan (the Templar graves are in the local church) they also sailed up the east coast of England and settled in the island of lindisfarne near a Modern day stadium called St James park, where a team play in black and white strips. 

The st James link appears to be from the knights Templar’s adoration of James the apostle who fought the moors in Spain and Portugal. Part of there duty’s as holy monks were to provide safe passage for pilgrims on the 
Camino de Santiago in northern Spain. This may explain why so many places have a St James prefix. 

so the next time you are passing the train station or walking your dog at the racecourse, you’re mind may wonder back to the Middle Ages and why your local team play in black and white. 

1 hour ago, aldo_j said:

There was also a petition at the time, if I recall. It’s a nice idea, but it’s been done. You could try again and take a different approach, see where you get to.

Aye, we could just graffiti the sign at the station so it says “Mirren” instead of James

15 minutes ago, antrin said:

It would be crazy to name a station after St Mirren.  

The last thing that’s needed in the sectarian stewpot that is the west of Scotland, is a railway station named after a Saint!

bigots would travel from all over to take exception to it!

Would they call it an Anti-Pilgrimage. :rolleyes:   and I know a wooooosh when I see on. Sometimes. :lol:

Edited by pod